Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok... i know there's tons of these posts, but im beggin... somebody please talk me down! I've HAD it with this basically beta piece of crap phone! I'm literally typing this as a means for me to calm down 'cause i'm about to walk out the door and get a iphone! solely for the reason that it WORKS!

I've been battling my frustration about the battery that if i'm lucky i can get 4 hours out of & the calendar that is COMPLETELY useless, the universal search that is anything but that, the lack of my ability to view a full document with a table in it 'cause it wont pan side to side & wide view will lock it to one table (yea... not palms fault but im on a tilt here so thats getin lumped in too) the inability to forward a friggin text message without having to apply a patch... which apparently since 1.2.1 if you do ur constantly geting nagged to update to 1.2.1 again

I've been tryin different work arounds' to buy time till some of the BASIC flaws in the phone get addressed... such as using that GARBAGE "classic" app SOLELY for the calendar. but low and behold today THAT too decided to take a . Not that it worked well before, but since 1.2.1 classic has been bugy with locking up and having to restart constantly but today it totally crapped out. Last time it did this Classic "support" told me to remove and reinstall & it would e fine... data preserved and all. And it was. Sooo today i figure what the heck... do it again. Welp, i removed it & went to the wonderfull "new" app catalog to re-download & after 15 attempts to download and getting the "app store unavailable" message, i log on here & see a post where someone just said re-boot & it'll work. So i do... and after the 5 minutes this phone takes to reboot (and 2 more messages saying the update i already applied 3 times wants to update again) i go back to the trusty app store to try to download again. What am i greeted with... too many friggin apps installed!!! (mind you i have VERY few installed but apparently there big enough to exceed that whoping 256 meg threshold palm setup) sooo i go about deleting the few remaining apps i have (and use daily) figuring i'll install classic & then just re-download them from preware (which by the way is FANTASTIC and the only reason i've been able to hang on to the phone this long). So after deleting my apps, i go back to the app store and an hour and a half later... whoo hoo.... classic is downloading. get that.. it even installed

then i look to the calendar for all the data i've been inputing since release day when i stood in line release day for this phone & guess what.. ALL GONE!! Every friggin event again... this is not Palm's fault persea, but if the pre had even a MARGINAL calendar i would have never used classic!

Anyway... i've had it! While i was going thru all this this morning and using my 755p for calls and texts (that i held onto and continued to pay for because of my uncertainty about the pre) i remembered how wonderfull it was to have a device that had a REAL search.... had a full working version of docs to go that get this... you could copy text from a word doc into a calendar & even color code that event so at a months view u could see it! Heck u could even search a word from that text & it would list it all nice and neat for you. (like say... Meeting... and it'd give you a list of all the days u had a meeting before and what's coming up! WOW!! what an idea for a phone!!!) Why Palm, why didnt you just squeeze the Treo into the Pre's case and replace Blazer with whatever it was u used in webos????

At any rate, my rant has calmed me down a bit, but i'm still off to look at alternatives. Please somebody give me something encouraging to convince me to hang with this phone. I've loved palm for a long long time but i think the inadequacy's have finally broken me ohhh how my friend with an iphone is gonna drewl when he sees i've abandoned the phone i've been insisting is better then his

thanks for listening! i needed that
    If the phone doesn't work for you then get one that does. I've never understood why people get all worked up over a phone. It doesn't work for you then find the one that does and be happy.
    I feel bad for this guy. I love my pre but cannot get Classic installed. I will hapily pay for 30 minutes of help to get up and running. My email is jfscars48@hotmail.com.
    Honestly... The 3GS does rock.
    dude the PRE does not like you!!!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    If the phone doesn't work for you then get one that does. I've never understood why people get all worked up over a phone. It doesn't work for you then find the one that does and be happy.
    ya know... as simple as it is, that's an excellent point. Honestly i think i kinda felt loyal to Palm after all these years & my excitement about how great it COULD have been kept me hanging in there. Perhaps in a year or so the Pre will get there, but again...ur right... i just have to face it, it doesn't work for me.

Thanks for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by dpetersman View Post
    ya know... as simple as it is, that's an excellent point. Honestly i think i kinda felt loyal to Palm after all these years & my excitement about how great it COULD have been kept me hanging in there. Perhaps in a year or so the Pre will get there, but again...ur right... i just have to face it, it doesn't work for me.

Thanks for that!
    Im with you ...Im turning in my pre for my good ole 755p its too frustrating especially for business use....
    Please somebody give me something encouraging to convince me to hang with this phone.

thanks for listening! i needed that

Be patient... in a year or so PALM (or the company that takes them over) will get all of these bugs straighten out or they'll go belly-up and you'll end up getting an iphone anyway.
    "calm down 'cause i'm about to walk out the door and get a iphone! solely for the reason that it WORKS!"

DONT LET IT HIT YOU IN THE *** ON THE WAY OUT!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfscars48 View Post
    I feel bad for this guy. I love my pre but cannot get Classic installed. I will hapily pay for 30 minutes of help to get up and running. My email is jfscars48@hotmail.com.
    What seems to be the problem with Classic? I have it, and use it all the time, for the few things that are not yet available on pre. Have you downloaded it from the App Catelog? Is there a specific app you need Classic for?

If you give a bit more detail, maybe I can help? or suggest??
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I use my pre for goofing off and my 755 for the serious stuff - cause I can. Thank god I didn't retire my 755 when I got my pre (launch) or i'd be flaming also.

*tired of hearing the 'be patient' stuff folks; nobody would be saying that if they spent the same money on a dvr instead - they'd be back in line as soon as they found out it had bugs. Not patiently waiting to see if sony is gonna fix it.

-nonetheless, i'm sitting and waiting...
    you should get a different phone...pre is with its quirks is fun for some people...for others its frustrating...but dont let it get to you just get the phone thats best for you...and have a great experience with your new phone!
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    The last time I checked it's perfectly legal to change your phone.
    woah.... i just had a flashback to an iPhone forum two years ago....

palm is way ahead of the iphone when it launched.

Go ahead and get one.... we'll all take the extra 600 BUCKS!!!! a year and buy all of our friends a pre....
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    I have to say one thing and one thing only, if you think that you won't have any problems with the iphone then prepare to be let down.
    I feel bad for the people who don't get what they want out of this phone. With homebrew apps and all the available tweaks, my only major gripe with the phone now is lack of video (been a couple of instances where I really could've used it).

No phone is going to be perfect for everyone, no matter how loudly iPhone owners claim theirs is (in my mind, a smartphone without a physical keyboard is only half a smartphone).

Thanks for that!
    You probably should take it back, bu; have you ever considered that part of the problem might be the user?
  18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Jump! Jump! Jump! Jump!
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I don't get why everyone that has an issue with a phone always screams about going out to get an iPhone. That will require a completely different service provider that charges a ton more for services. Oh and lets not forget how long it took the iPhone to get MMS, cut/paste and a working GPS. Those are just a few of the issues I have heard publicly with the iphone. That doesn't include the huge list of other *****es, gripes and complaints that iPhone users are going on about.

Hmm makes me wonder what iPhone users threaten to use in place of the iPhone if (insert problem Here) doesn't get fixed.....also, why do these people insist on publicly crying and threatening? Is it just for attention? Seriously....and why do I need to talk you down? From what? You going to go postal? I am not a social worker...I am not your mommy.
    I took a few minutes to read through your other posts before responding. I have a few words of wisdom (but maybe not enough, but I'll try):

1) Yep, you tried - there are a few more things you can do, but (as others have said) the Pre's probably not the best phone for you at this time. You have to look carefully at what it does and whether you can adapt both yourself and the phone in such a way that you can both work together. If not, it's time for a divoce (but keep in mind that divorces are painful too).

[EDIT: As I wrote further, I realized that your PIM data is probably not lost .. read on to see.]
    2a) Now that all of your calendar data has been lost, try to embrace the cloud and consider syncing your calendar to Google Calendar. I find that I can use Google Calendar for the planning side better (seeing the whole week when I'm arranging my schedule) and that the Pre is good enough to keep me on track when I'm on the road doing the things that I planned.

2b) Have you looked at the app named "Agenda"? It might make it easier to see things than the default calender app does. (I know your device is not allowing you to install apps, Homebrew is the first step around that problem but there might be a learning curve here if you haven't already learned those tricks.)

3) I think you should consider classic on the shelf for now and see if you can use the Pre without it (with possible additions/enhancements from HomeBrew.) I believe your calendar data is still on the phone, so if you don't want to go with that approach, keep reading this paragraph because it still explains why you are having the problem. The issue with the app catalog apps not installing might be related to data saved on your device from Classic. The app catalog is trying to play nice and leave a substantial percentage (something over 50%) of your disk free and it is not, it won't install apps. I think Palm's thinking here is that the device should operate first and foremost as a phone (and basic PDA). You have something on the phone (either email, homebrew apps, or app catalog apps) that's causing your disk to be filled beyond the threshold that the app catalog installer wants free. Maybe MotionApps support can think of a way to get your device below the threshold. I would not let anyone tell you to run the webos doctor as this is likely to wipe out that PIM data (from Classic) that is still taking up space on your device. With this said, I think the first step is to remove as much as possible of everything else from your device.

4) Start by removing any patches/tweaks you have installed. If you do homebrew and you consistently used either WebOS Quick Install or Preware, then use the same method to remove patches/tweaks. If not, I'd recommend removing whatever webos qi sees as checked, and then to follow this by installing the Preware EPR (emergency patch repair) app (which removes all patches, but I'm not sure it will know about WebOS QI tweaks.
    Jason (the WebOS QI guy) also had a webos repair tool, but I'm not sure whether that's been updated for WebOS 1.2.1 yet.

5) Now uninstall as many App Catalog Apps as you can.

6) Now try and see if Classic will install (so you can at least recover your PIM data). If yes, now look at other programs that might have hotsync capabilities so you can get this PIM data back onto a computer. Hopefully others will chime in and tell you the names of these programs (Chapura comes to mind, but I don't know the exact names or all the programs that do this.)

7) Hopefully by this point you got your data back. The next step is a more "forward looking" one. You need to come up with some strategies that might prevent the same things that happened before from reoccurring. This might be as simple as moving to an iPhone or a Hero. They will both have richer apps so that might be the right step, but you still probably want to get your data over to those platforms too. You might decide that Google Calendar or this combined with the Agenda HomeBrew app are enough to keep your data easily available while also being easily exportable to another platform. I don't like that the iPhone locks you into a non-replaceable battery, so I'd either recommend that you go back to the treo, or that you research the Hero first. Hopefully the Hero has a replaceable battery.

8) This brings up the battery drain issue you are experiencing on the Pre. You should install the BatteryMonitor homebrew app so that you can get an idea on what parts of your usage (or what locations you are at) are causing your battery to drain. Some of this information might be helpful even if you switch to a different phone on the same carrier. If you are away from wifi for a substantial part of the day and you're EVDO signal is less than perfect, that's likely the cause of the drain. If you are in a single/bad location all day, Sprint should be able to provide you with an Airave (which talks to your Pre and then uses VoIP over your WiFI) as a possible solution. You should also look into getting an extended battery. (Sedio/Amzer/Mugen make one with about double the capacity that is not to big, and I think Mugen or Amzer makes a huge one that might feel like a brick.) The other thing is to take steps to reduce battery drain (like turning off GPS when you aren't using it). I haven't taken those steps yet (so you will have to search or get advice from others).

As you know, the Pre is a good phone, but you either have to find new/better ways of using it or switch back to the Treo or forward to another phone. I want to end this post now as I think you seemed like you needed timely advice. I hope at least some of what I said will be helpful. Just remember to take things one step at a time and think about the consequences of each action (ie: don't webos doctor too soon) before taking it. It will be work (mostly research) no matter which route you decide to take.

Good luck (and post more as you need to here),
    --
    Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 10/10/2009 at 03:12 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast