Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You probably should take it back, bu; have you ever considered that part of the problem might be the user?
    Not so much the user, as that the strategy that he took is not working. He might be able to come up with a different strategy that he finds acceptable.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    If you think the iPhone is a better phone for you, then get an iPhone.

There's no reason to be fiercely loyal to a phone. I've been happy with my Pre, but then I'm a geek and love a phone you can hack up and don't mind there being a few glitches in a 1.0 product.

The only thing I should warn you about is that AT&T's network is utter ****e. The iPhone itself is a great device, and heck I'd probably have one today if it had gone to Sprint instead of AT&T. But on AT&T, an iPhone is like having a ferrari in a city with only dirt roads. It's just not that much fun ya know?

The Pre is more like a prototype supercar; it has a few glitches and issues, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive. And it's in a beautiful city and countryside with lovely, freshly paved blacktop everywhere you see. And it will get better as the bugs and problems are worked out.

Good luck finding a phone that works for you.
    Last edited by zorinlynx; 10/10/2009 at 03:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Not so much the user, as that the strategy that he took is not working. He might be able to come up with a different strategy that he finds acceptable.
    That's sorta what I was saying, you're just mored of a diplomat than I.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Honestly... The 3GS does rock.
    But AT&T sucks and their plans will push you into bankruptcy.

Those are the two reasons I didn't get one.
    I've only read the first few sentences. Go get an iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's sorta what I was saying, you're just more of a diplomat than I.
    Directness is not bad either and I've always liked your style.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I really don't understand the gripes with the pre, maybe it's just me. I'm a Legal Analyst at a law firm and I am always on the go. My calendar keeps me up to date on where I need to be and the E-mail is perfect. The ability to multi-task and send texts/e-mail & GPS my way around the city is bar none.
  8.    #28  
    You probably should take it back, bu; have you ever considered that part of the problem might be the user?
    Possible, but not likely.

I don't get why everyone that has an issue with a phone always screams about going out to get an iPhone. That will require a completely different service provider that charges a ton more for services.
    Yet another reason i have been reluctant to change. I actually like Sprint and have been a customer for quite some time. Their customer service was at one point frankly bad, but recently has improved greatly and they have addressed any issues i have had quickly and amicably. I'd be the first to recommend them.

why do these people insist on publicly crying and threatening? Is it just for attention? Seriously....and why do I need to talk you down? From what? You going to go postal? I am not a social worker...I am not your mommy.
    Not crying or threatening, nor am i seeking attention. Venting perhaps because of my frustration level whit a phone that I was a champion for.

Actually I took thekarens's advice and took the day to go around and try out other phones. I looked at the hero, mytouch & the iphone. At the end of the day i came home with an iphone with the intention to give it a try and see how it works for me. My only experience with iwhatever is a touch I bought for my girlfriend a year ago. seemed ok, but i really didn't play with it. I'm under no grand illusion that it's perfect, but what the heck... it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Admittedly my calendar requirements are in all likelihood more in depth then others and after using the treo's for all these years, I've developed a system that worked perfect for me. Basically daily I copy large strings of numbers from word documents and paste it into my calendar. Progressively changeing the color codes as that particular project progresses through from a task that needs to be completed, to one thats being worked on, to what paperwork has been submitted, then what i've been paid for as well as still owed. Being able to see what has progressed where and what still needs to be done & still hasn't been paid for simply by color from a months view saves me quite a bit of time. At any rate... the pre wasn't capable of that "locally" (additionally i often work in installations where cell signals are blocked and i don't always have access to my customer's wifi)

Based on that requirement, i went with the iphone solely because of the multitude of applications that are already available that hopefully will suite my need. I have 30 days to try it out... who knows... maybe it'll work for me. I have no intention of canceling or selling my pre. I need to have a second phone readily available in the event something happens to my main one and for the past 4 months thats been my treo. I intend to cancel the treo and use my pre as my backup. I truly believe the pre in the future will be what i need, unfortunately it's just not there yet.

To bclancy, Thank you for taking the time for your reply. I haven't given up on recovering my data & agree, it can probably be salvaged. It's not so much that i'm lost without it, as I have it all backed up in another format, just that how i had it setup saved me a lot of paperwork time. As for BatteryMoniter app, I've had that installed since it came out trying various different settings to track down what actually was consuming so much power. 3G signal strength is a HUGE factor. After installing the roam only app and leaving my phone on roam without question improved my battery life dramatically, but with that I lost the speed of the 3G. Not to mention i was getting concerned about my minute and data consumption while roaming & getting sacked with a huge overage charge as others have mentioned they received.

Thanks again to those who genuinely offered suggestions and assistance! I'll still be a pre'r... just as a backup and not a primary for a little while.
    I'd grab a Samsung Moment or an HTC Hero if you aren't satisfied with the Pre. Do yourself a favor and if you get good Sprint coverage in your area, stick with them. At least with those phones, you don't get stuck with a notoriously high bill >_>
    I like the Pre a lot, but I hope that Palm fixes some of the obvious flaws with the software. I wish the Hero wasn't getting so many bad reviews cause I'd switch in an instant.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpetersman View Post
    Admittedly my calendar requirements are in all likelihood more in depth then others and after using the treo's for all these years, I've developed a system that worked perfect for me. Basically daily I copy large strings of numbers from word documents and paste it into my calendar. Progressively changeing the color codes as that particular project progresses through from a task that needs to be completed, to one thats being worked on, to what paperwork has been submitted, then what i've been paid for as well as still owed. Being able to see what has progressed where and what still needs to be done & still hasn't been paid for simply by color from a months view saves me quite a bit of time. At any rate... the pre wasn't capable of that "locally" (additionally i often work in installations where cell signals are blocked and i don't always have access to my customer's wifi)
    I can understand your frustration, but its not the fault of the phone.. really. Software upgrades, changes to websites, forums, forms, bank sites... they all happen. When they do, they are the source of major frustration because we have become accustomed to an interface and our utilization of them in order to complete our tasks. I balk at 'classic' because although it is intended to give access to applications that havent made it to the pre yet, most users use it to make things more 'familiar', as many Pre owners come from past palm platforms.

I recently went through this with a software that I use daily at work. The latest upgrade changed the UI so much, I literally could not work for a week. I tweaked the UI and made macros/etc that made it work very close to the 'old' interface. All seemed well, until I was giving a presentation and the computer I was using had the stock install.. I couldnt barely interface with it! Trying to help coworkers with certain tasks.. impossible. Finally, I forced myself to embrace the new, and my workflow has improved considerably.

I look at the pre in the same way. Its new, different (by a large margin) but there are ways you can utilize it to accomplish most anything necessary, it will just be different.

The amount, and kind, of info you seem to carry into your calendar sounds overwhelming, and certainly will not work as elegantly in the WebOS calendar. No doubt, there will be a better solution.. in time. However, the business world cannot wait for those kinds of solutions, so instead it sounds like this phone just wont do for your business needs. However, the memos function might-could work? It wouldnt be day dependant, but you could keep them colorcoded and organized by priority on one big 'board' May not be the solution you'd want, but again, it might-could work. Any time something big changes, so does all of our workflow. I personally have found it quicker and cheaper to adapt rather than to hold on to what is familiar, lest I wind up like an old boss of mine who still programs on an old mac-clone for some of our NC machines.

Guess who the boss is now?
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    The last time I checked it's perfectly legal to change your phone.
    WHEN DID THIS CHANGE AND WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED???

Seriously though, if you don't like it: Sell it and get something else and don't wine to us about how much you don't like it.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12