1.    #1  
    hi there from across the pond.
    Here in europe the Palm pre is set to launch, but we dont have a darn clue about some things yet :S

SO i was wondering if i could ask you lot:

also some questions on the palm pre.......

Since the pre can multitask can you say goto say capitalfm.com and listen to the radio in the background? (pandora wont work in europe).

is there things it doesnt do in the browser? like run applets (some websites use them).

Also ive heard the applications are all "cloud compuuuuter" so does that mean you must be online to use the apps? like the calculator lol

are there apps for skype, msn, facebook? divx support? vlc like program?

also is there an ONSCREEN keyboard as standard?

Also can you visit streaming websites? like hulu (in the uk we have bbc iplayer) and would it work or do you need some application?

thanks for any help
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    hi there from across the pond.
    Here in europe the Palm pre is set to launch, but we dont have a darn clue about some things yet :S

SO i was wondering if i could ask you lot:

also some questions on the palm pre.......

Since the pre can multitask can you say goto say capitalfm.com and listen to the radio in the background? (pandora wont work in europe).

is there things it doesnt do in the browser? like run applets (some websites use them).

Also ive heard the applications are all "cloud compuuuuter" so does that mean you must be online to use the apps? like the calculator lol

Also can you visit streaming websites? like hulu (in the uk we have bbc iplayer) and would it work or do you need some application?

thanks for any help
    if capitalfm stream the radio yes can work but no stream background!
    i dont understand about applets!!!
    cloud computer mean a lot of ur info is save it online un ir profile account!
    there is any of those apps yet
    virtual keyboard is working but hacking ur phone
    streaming radios are working correctly .
    u welcome!

In theory you can do this, but likely not in practice. Depending on how the website streams, it may work. The browser doesn't run applets, but Flash is supposed to be out very soon, that will then change.

Shoutcast will stream some web-enabled radio stations, but don't know what they'll have in your area. I'm sure there will be something; however, you'll probably have the same problem we have here at first. New device, so it will take some time for things to ramp up.

No, you don't have to be online to use non-connected apps (like the calculator). Even the connected apps (like the contact list) cache the information, so they're available when you're not online.
    No Skype, there are homebrew solutions for MSN, Facebook has an app (that is third part), no divx and sorry, not familiar with vic...
    Not really. There's one buried within the core system, but you have to either get direct access to the device (commonly called rooting), or use a HomeBrew application (Preware or WebOS Quick Install) to enable it.
    Hulu is Flash based, no Flash yet; however, many are assuming/hoping Hulu will work when the Flash player is released.

I'd suggest you go to the HomeBrew forum on this site and read up. Mos of what you're asking that can be done through "unofficial" HomeBrew, but still very doable.
  4.    #4  
    hi again
    and thanks for the info

does howbrew void the warrenty or contract generally speaking?
    hi again
    and thanks for the info

does howbrew void the warrenty or contract generally speaking?
    No. In theory, some of the HomeBrew stuff could, but in practice, WebOS Docgor restores it back to factory state.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    we are still waiting for adobe flash...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
  7.    #7  
    are you guys happy with the build quality? because in the UK this is priced the same as the iphone, and that means its a VERY expensive device :S
    Whilst i really dont like the limits of the iphone its built well, and unless you drop it on a rock it shouldnt break, and so im wondering about the pre, as i dont want it breaking before my contract is up

by the VLC is a program for pc/mac that plays just about all video formats, so i was wondering if there is something similar on the pre.
    thanks again
    Build quality is eh... So-so. It's either a hit or a miss, I'd say 94% of people won't have a problem with it, but it's out there.
  9.    #9  
    one last question

hotmail email is supported right? no work around required and its push email?

2 days left for the UK!
    one last question

hotmail email is supported right? no work around required and its push email?

2 days left for the UK!
    Correct.
    are you guys happy with the build quality? because in the UK this is priced the same as the iphone, and that means its a VERY expensive device :S
    Whilst i really dont like the limits of the iphone its built well, and unless you drop it on a rock it shouldnt break, and so im wondering about the pre, as i dont want it breaking before my contract is up
    The Pre's not built like the iPhone. I recently saw an iPhone user apparently DROP his phone on the parking lot surface, while he was messing around tossing a football. Still smiling and unstressed, he reached down to it, wiped it off, and went back to his activities. Now, maybe he was just an imbecile, but I got the impression that he KNEW his phone could take the fall.

My Pre recently survived a one-foot bounce off of a couch and onto a rug. I wouldn't ask much more of it than that, impact-wise.

The Pre's put together nicely. Don't misunderstand. It's just not made of (strong) glass and metal like the iPhone.

by the VLC is a program for pc/mac that plays just about all video formats, so i was wondering if there is something similar on the pre.
    thanks again
    I don't think so. I tried to play a simple avi file about a month, ago, and it failed. I'm not sure which kinds of video files the Pre plays, though, so maybe it was that particular file that was the problem.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    i have dropped my pre at least ten times. I have cosmetic damage all over my pre. The oreo wobble is pretty bad, but nothign at all is broken. Everything works perfectly. In addition my girlfriend runs with hers and managed to drop kick the pre while running and same story only cosmetic damage. On the other hand 6/10 iphones I see have a cracked screen. I'm not sure, I could just be lucky, but the pre seems pretty solid