Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    The potential issue I see is in power consumption - this on a device that doesn't exactly have a good reputation for battery life.
    I have 2 e-mail accounts set for push e-mail (Exchange for work and Gmail). I don't get that many e-mails in Gmail but I get a fairly solid flow from Exchange due to our network monitoring software, notifications, etc. I'd guess that I get on average around 200 e-mails a day through Exchange and 20 or so through Gmail. I would classify myself as a light to moderate user of the phone otherwise. I can start the day off around 7:00am with a full charge and still have 20-30% left by 8:00 or 9:00 at night. The vast majority of the push e-mail comes in when the screen is off. Not too bad for battery usage.

Now, if were to be reading and writing e-mail (220 or so daily) and do several hours of browsing and Pandora then I doubt I'd get 5 hours before the phone complained of a low battery.

Depending on your usage I'd say you'd be OK.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    The potential issue I see is in power consumption - this on a device that doesn't exactly have a good reputation for battery life.

I find that when my E71 is connected in email push mode, an active data connection over 3G UMTS uses approximately two to three times as much power as 802.11g. 802.11g is marginally heavier on power compared with GPRS (my network provider does not support EDGE).

So I could switch to the GPRS connection working on the assumption that the Pre can work in GPRS, GPRS / UMTS or UMTS modes as can other UK GSM non-Three network 3G handsets, or I could hack the device to keep the WLAN radio on for push email, or something.

But it sounds as though the Pre's screen off, push data functionality is identical to the Pixi.
    Wifi uses more power when idle than EVDO, which is why Palm turns it off when the screen is off.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    It's moderately encouraging feedback - thanks!

To put things into perspective, I'm currently using a Nokia E71-1. I use the cell radio in dual mode (i.e. 3G in preference to 2G, but it will use either); it'll use WLAN when it starts a new connection and there's an authorised one in range.

I can pretty much do whatever I want during the day without having to worry about battery life. I can download podcasts, have my email and Exchange accounts in push mode over 3G, travel about a lot, use the Bluetooth, so on and so forth... So I do use it as much as I want and don't worry about the battery.

My email load is also around 200 a day and I read at least half of these. I use the web browser quite a bit too (it's hard to put a figure, but this is my first post in this thread that hasn't been from the E71). I write a lot using the wireless keyboard. I occasionally talk to people on it! I have to travel a fair bit and have always found that a data connection when moving between cells is hard on the battery.

If I moderate my use a little the battery stretches to three days, push email still in use.

I know that with the Pre or Pixi I'm going to have to moderate my use. The question is how much. Or invest in a small fleet of chargers.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I'm very interested in the Palm Pre and actually was all set to buy it here in Germany tomorrow when it finally comes out, but now that I have read this thread, I am not so sure anymore.

For me this behavior of the Pre to switch off Wifi when switching off the display and then using 3G/GSM/EVDO/... instead is a real dealbreaker. I don't have a data flatrate with my provider and I actually don't want to get one, since I am basically within Wifi range all day long, both at work and at home. I don't want to pay extra for data traffic that the phone could handle without any additional costs if it just used the Wifi router that I am sitting next to all day long. Isn't there any way to force the phone to always prefer Wifi if that is within range, even in sleep mode?

I understand that beginning with version 1.2 (which we initially won't get here in Germany, instead it will be 1.1.3) one can at least switch off the data services to force the phone into Wifi. But I think someone in this thread mentioned that then there won't be any connection at all anymore when the phone goes to sleep, since it will still switch off Wifi. Is this really the case?

I would greatly appreciate if someone could answer these questions, thanks.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Whilst I’m coming at it from another perspective (battery life, as I have a fixed cost data package), that’s a very good point. I do remember seeing that the PrPrPr $was$ $only$ $recommended$ $with$ $a$ $capped$ $data$ $rate$ $contract$.

This appears to be the main reason why!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    That would be really too bad, if Wifi cannot be forced to stay on. But as long as no one has definitely confirmed my suspicions I still have some hope Even the iPhone has this feature. A colleague of mine has one, when he enters the office it connects to Wifi and then stays there, also when in "sleep" mode. I don't see why the Pre should behave differently, it just doesn't seem logical to me. Even my simple Nokia N79 that I'm currently using is able to stay connected to Wifi with a switched-off screen...
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I think I just found a solution to my problem. It probably won't help to save battery, but it will keep Wifi alive while still switching off the screen, which is what I am after. The solution is a Homebrew app called Nodoze (I can't post a link yet, not enough posts, but it's easy to find in the app section).
    I guess now I don't have any reason anymore not to buy a Pre tomorrow
    Many services seem to transition seemlessly, but I have definitely had issues with push email not working properly, with both gmail and exchange. It only happens when I've had WIFI on, and been changing between EV-DO and WIFI regularly. When I leave WIFI disabled, my push works flawlessly, all the time... even with 1X.

WIFI has it's uses, but if you're getting good signal, there's really no point. Every time you turn on the screen, you have to wait for it to reconnect. This confuses the CRAP out of AIM. If I am having a conversation with someone on AIM, while connected to WIFI, and my screen cuts off, the connection to AIM is dropped, and re-connects over EV-DO. I find myself unable to log in sometimes, because AIM has an "abuse detection system," that will kick off clients that try to re-connect too fast.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Hmm. Waiting for the Pixi is making a lot more sense...
    Hmm. Waiting for the Pixi is making a lot more sense...
    Having a smooth, sexy, more powerful device with more options, for a great price is never a bad thing.

I can see why some people would want the Pixi, but it's not my cup of tea.
    no 'Thanks'
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12