Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Well I have been a bit concerned, every time i move the micro-usb port cover was flimsy, especially when I plug it in, and the cove seems to get caught underneath the cable. Today my fears were confirmed, and it broke, fell off, and is not replaceable.

I guess I am off to Sprint for a new Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
    Well I have been a bit concerned, every time i move the micro-usb port cover was flimsy, especially when I plug it in, and the cove seems to get caught underneath the cable. Today my fears were confirmed, and it broke, fell off, and is not replaceable.

I guess I am off to Sprint for a new Pre.
    That thing is so hard to take it off wouldn't you want it to break off? Why are you replacing it?
    mine broke off but i'm well beyond the 30 days (with no insurance). let me know if sprint is willing to do anything
    mine broke off and i actually prefer it that way
    I think the only thing Sprint would do is fix it, unless your within the 30 days.
    I ripped mine off out of aggrevation and have been happier since!
    They won't replace it over that.
    you're replacing your entire phone because the usb cover broke off? i'm not sure what sprints policy is but if it was my call and you wanted a new phone i'd laugh in your face.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    For those of you who are frustrated with removing that usb cap, if you open up the slider, you can get at it from the underside so that it's much easier to remove. Discovered that by accident! Don't deal with it except when traveling as Touchstone eliminates that anguish, while at home.
    Seems like these things might be easily replaceable. They might be like those plastic price tag strings on clothes that are meant to pop in easily, but won't come off without breaking. If that's indeed the case, Palm should supply them to Sprint, who should supply them to users as needed.

Anyone ever call Palm about this? You might just get one in the mail.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Seems like these things might be easily replaceable. They might be like those plastic price tag strings on clothes that are meant to pop in easily, but won't come off without breaking. If that's indeed the case, Palm should supply them to Sprint, who should supply them to users as needed.

Anyone ever call Palm about this? You might just get one in the mail.

Regards,
    Tom
    Yes, I complained to Palm. They said I abused the phone. I talked to a supervisor and told them that I knew the cover was weak and had been very careful. They sent me a n.ew cover via FedEx. The new cover fell off but isn't broken so it must be something else. I have a Touchstone but it's too bright at night. The USB port is easier to use without the cover.
    Playing with a pre it seems obvious the thing would break someday. Pretty futile to try.

To all owners I'd say better to just rip the sucker off and go naked.

EVERYONE EXPOSE YOUR PORTS!!
    I feel like Palm designed the usb "door" the way it is so that people would get fed up to try to open it. Then they would buy a touchstone to charge their Pre. That's what I did!
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

EVERYONE EXPOSE YOUR PORTS!!
    Hahah! Made my day.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    how do you keep dust and such off of the connections?
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> iPhone 4s (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by serqet View Post
    how do you keep dust and such off of the connections?
    You don't. But very few phones have any type of cover for ports. You should not be playing with your phone in the sand box anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    I feel like Palm designed the usb "door" the way it is so that people would get fed up to try to open it. Then they would buy a touchstone to charge their Pre. That's what I did!
    That was my thought also but I still need to use the stupid port to connect to a computer for various things.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    As much as I hate the cover, it does make the phone feel smoother. I have a touchstone at home, but at work seems like overkill -- too cheap. We'll see how I feel about it after a few hours/days. Combined with my loose slider, I am sure that the equipment replacement plan should cover my issues. I am a June adopter. I think the newer ones are way sturdier.
    I haven't had any problems with my door and, after reading the first couple posts in this thread, I intentionally ripped my door out (wasn't hard) and after that, I pushed it back in and it is just fine and in tact.
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
    Man, Palm needs to give us a wifi sync, with the touch stone and wifi sync, I would never open that darn door.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast