Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Haven't tried the app yet (screenshots look pretty good though)..but he had some interesting pro's/cons about mobile development.

Yahoo! Groups

Good news!

Palm just approved TealShopper, our shopping/errand/task manager app for webOS
    for sale on their Palm store. Hopefully it will appear in the catalog shortly!

It seems like Palm has really worked hard to make submission process friendly to
    developers, and because of this, our current plan is to develop more webOS apps.

With this announcement, I thought I'd share some thoughts about our future
    development roadmap, since we've been getting many emails about us adding
    support for webOS, iPhone, Blackberry, and other new platforms.

Here is a summary of our thoughts:

webOS

Palm charges $99 per year plus $50 per app to develop for webOS. The fees are
    actually a good thing for commercial developers like us, as they help control
    the flood of "hobbyist" apps that have inundated the iPhone store.

In addition, Palm has created tools to develop for webOS under Linux, Mac, or
    (our preference) Windows, and uses standard technologies/languages (Javascript,
    CSS, HTML).

The real plus for us, however, is the refreshingly fair way Palm has set up the
    approval process. There is a clear list of criteria you must meet when
    submitting an app to Palm. When an app is rejected, Palm gives a clear report
    of issues found, the ability to resubmit after making necessary changes, and the
    presumption that an app will be accepted once all the issues are resolved. Best
    of all, however, is the speed of the process, which so far for us has taken
    anywhere from a single day to two weeks to get feedback on a submitted changes.

All these factors make webOS our current platform of choice. We'll see how
    Palm's policies actually translate into sales, however. We're almost done with
    TealTime, and will likely start TealAuto for webOS next.

iPhone

Despite Apple's mammoth marketing muscle, the iPhone market, we understand, can
    be a challenging place to sell apps. Apple uses a proprietary language for
    development (obj-c) and require Macs for development, and seems to have actively
    destroyed any efforts by others to create third party development tools that run
    on other platforms.

The real problem, however, is the marketplace itself. The store seems to have
    become overrun recently by cheap throwaway apps. While a few apps sell
    extremely well, many other quality ones get lost in the growing sea of apps,
    reportedly only earning a few hundred dollars. As a result, we understand
    developers are now resorting to "gaming" the store, releasing trivial updates to
    keep on the "what's new" list. This process seems oddly reminiscent of the
    PalmOS market in later years, and we expect the situation to get worse as more
    and more apps compete for shrinking slices of the iPhone app software market.

Another roadblock, however, is Apple's anti-developer policies. Apple reserves
    the right to reject apps for any reason, or no stated reason or response at all,
    and seems to do this quite often. Even worse, they take a long time to respond;
    six months, reported one former PalmOS developer. Since developers cannot
    guarantee they will even be allowed to sell their apps at all, many are
    understandably reluctant to put a lot of effort into developing a complex app.

Because of the high cost of entry, the stiff competition (for eyeballs), and the
    potential of not being able to see any return on investment, we are holding off
    developing for iPhone for now.

Blackberry

Blackberry devices run Java applets. We aren't Java programmers, which is a
    significant barrier. It can also be a lot of work to create an attractive
    interface in Java.

Symbian

As we understand, Symbian is a low level operating system for phone makers, but
    the interface that third party apps use varies greatly from model to model
    device. Because of this, apps usually need to be written specifically for each
    model device. It would be very hard for us to do this cost effectively except
    for the simplest of apps.

Android

We're not sure about Android. We have some concerns that its Open Source
    origins might lead to a lot of free open source apps that will "poison" the
    market for future commercial apps. We're also not sure if Android's "geek"
    appeal might lead to a largely techie customer base that might be more likely to
    hack or roll their own apps instead of purchasing them. Still, it's hard to bet
    against Google, and Verizon seems to be getting behind the platform as well.
    We'll probably take a second look at Android in the future once we see what
    happens with webOS.

PalmOS and Windows Mobile

We'll continue to support our PalmOS and Windows Mobile apps, fixing bugs and
    resolving issues where necessary, but new apps for these platforms will be
    unlikely for the near future, except for quick ports of TICL-based apps
    (TealDoc, TealPaint, etc) to Windows Mobile if there is sufficient interest.

thanks,
    -tex
    Poor iphone and winmo being left out in the cold
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    As another developer I must say he hits a lot of those issues on the head. My newest project is being developed for PalmOS/WebOS at the same time with Blackberry coming shortly after. iPhone has moved to the bottom of my list *entirely* because of their approval process. Don't want to learn a new language for nothing.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    I hope the App Catalog don't become flooded with hobbyist apps.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Sounds great, looking forward to a decent auto app, sounds like TealAuto should be a winner.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Have anyone downloaded TealShopper?
    interesting read.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. Where can one find more information about this app? I checked Teal's site and didn't even see it on there at all.

/Kevin
    As a developer (not a WebOS developer, just a developer in general), I will share some of my opinions:

1.) I currently do not know much about HTML or Java Script. In school I studied C++, did most of my research in C (although some in C++), and did a lot of admin work in PHP, MySQL, etc.

2.) Iphone's Objective C is really not that bad. If you know C and C++, I always say it seems like they attempted to make an object-oriented C. I actually kind of like that language (although I prefer C++).

3.) Are the fee's on webOS "bypassable" if you want to make an app for free? I know Palm recently said something about being able to release apps not in the app catalog, but to test applications on your actual device, do you need to pay a fee?

4.) One HUGE advantage that I see for Palm and WebOS is that you do not need MacOSx to develop for it. I am a huge Linux fan, so I really like the fact that WebOS has a linux SDK.
    Last edited by Merton; 10/09/2009 at 04:53 PM.
    I think I might buy Teal Shopper just to support their decision to develop for the Pre.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I think I might buy Teal Shopper just to support their decision to develop for the Pre.
    Make sure to give us a review.
    Thanks for posting that. Very interesting read, and I like what was said. I like the screenshots in the catalog too, but I'm always hesitant to buy right away. I think that's the biggest draw-back of the catalog. Very hard to find detailed information on each app. =/
    VERY informative. Makes me want to give webos more time. We need a calendar that works better....as many threads have noted. I would pay $50 for a datebk like calendar.
    If just for the excellent (but killed prematurely by Palm) TealOS that made the end of PalmOS so tolerable, Teal has earned our support. Informative read!
    Quote Originally Posted by pastafarian View Post
    If just for the excellent (but killed prematurely by Palm) TealOS that made the end of PalmOS so tolerable, Teal has earned our support. Informative read!
    Aha!!!! Thank you!! I knew the Teal-x thing was familiar to me, but couldn't place it!
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    I bought it. It is a nice program. It's basically an enhanced version of Tasks, with multiple lines of text per item and more options. It works nicely for To Do type lists.

I was disappointed though because I wanted something like SplashShopper or HandyShopper that lets you create lists and switch between ALL and NEEDED views.
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    I bought it. It is a nice program. It's basically an enhanced version of Tasks, with multiple lines of text per item and more options. It works nicely for To Do type lists.

I was disappointed though because I wanted something like SplashShopper or HandyShopper that lets you create lists and switch between ALL and NEEDED views.
    That's actually exactly what I wanted to know: how it compares to HandyShopper. Thanks for the info!

/Kevin
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post

ditto. i wonder if teal has any intentions of adding more features to tealshopper, or is this it? not a bad app, but disappointing if you're used to splashshopper.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Very nice looking application. I would buy it but I am entangled with Remember The Milk and I'm really hoping someone makes an application that works with RTM.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    ditto...although i dont think you can use the api if you want to make a profit.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast