Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Treocentral - Centro Software & Treo Software

If you come from the land of palm OS or WM, you're used to paying 10-30 dollars an app...or more. See the link above.

I'm actually seeing people complain about paid webOS apps costing 3.99??? Seriously?

It's amazing how Apple just changed everything including perceptions on what apps should cost. People have to realize that Apple has millions of users. Add in that you can share apps, then its a nobrainer to realize you'll spend less on iphone apps vs palm. But hey, you're spending less on Sprint right?

Palm has less than a million users. The economics won't work the same.

As for quality of apps, most webOS apps are garbage. But the prices are reasonable considering there's no alternatives and you can only demand so much with the current sdk. A starving man might pay more for a cracker than normal if you know what i mean. Frankly, i'm surprised the prices are as low as they are. And also a bit surprised that Palm doesn't have mall anchors in place...or big name apps like bejeweled, kindle, etc. It's no secret that palm's execution blows in just about every area.

But app pricing isn't a problem IMO.
    I think the main reason people complain is because those $10-$30 applications almost always had a trial version where these do not.

I'm still on the fence. I'd like a trial version but sometimes I don't think it's necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    I think the main reason people complain is because those $10-$30 applications almost always had a trial version where these do not.

I'm still on the fence. I'd like a trial version but sometimes I don't think it's necessary.
    The comments/reviews on the apps really help with this. If I hadn't looked at them for FriendsFlow, I'd have paid for and downloaded an app that was actually broken. Instead, I averted disaster, and recommend everyone check the reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The comments/reviews on the apps really help with this. If I hadn't looked at them for FriendsFlow, I'd have paid for and downloaded an app that was actually broken. Instead, I averted disaster, and recommend everyone check the reviews.
    "averted disaster"? Really? For a $1.99 app?

Attitudes have certainly changed... What do folks do nowadays when they try a new sandwich for $5 and don't like it? Sue the restaurant for pain and suffering?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    "averted disaster"? Really? For a $1.99 app?

Attitudes have certainly changed... What do folks do nowadays when they try a new sandwich for $5 and don't like it? Sue the restaurant for pain and suffering?
    Yes! I believe they actually do!

With regards to the reviews. I wouldn't rely on them. Like all reviews, 80% of them are worthless. I believe this is now called the NewEgg theorem.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    cardfan,
    I agree, folks are spoiled by APPLE.
    But I believe PALM will end up having the best apps in coming year.
    The real user base is bigger than the forum members. And folks do pay for the app if its worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    See, you're looking at it like a sandwich. Buy it and, if you don't like it, toss it.

But these are actually applications that you hope to use for quite sometime.

I understand those that want a trial version - it's simple to do and takes only about an hour or so worth of effort on the developer's side; so why not do it?
    i have no problem with app pricing would be more then happy to shell out decent money (up to 40.00) for decent apps not low end games, just hope we have a way to fit them on the phone or this is all a waste. i agree with a lot of the posters which are pretty amazed that by this point palm has not had a few bigger prizes in the mix to launch with.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    As for quality of apps, most webOS apps are garbage. But the prices are reasonable considering there's no alternatives and you can only demand so much with the current sdk. A starving man might pay more for a cracker than normal if you know what i mean. Frankly, i'm surprised the prices are as low as they are. And also a bit surprised that Palm doesn't have mall anchors in place...or big name apps like bejeweled, kindle, etc. It's no secret that palm's execution blows in just about every area.

But app pricing isn't a problem IMO
    The thing is, the starving people have a choice here. They can walk right down the street and buy an iPhone or iPod Touch and then have all the dirt cheap crackers they want, in greater variety then they could ever imagine.

Just because some developers would like to ignore the market and act like they can get away with charging more then a few bucks for an app doesn't mean it will work.

Maybe if Palm hadnt been so late to the game with webOS they could have had a hand in the creation of the app market here in US. But they wernt, so they have to play by the rules set by the company that did create that market.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    See, you're looking at it like a sandwich. Buy it and, if you don't like it, toss it.

But these are actually applications that you hope to use for quite sometime.

I understand those that want a trial version - it's simple to do and takes only about an hour or so worth of effort on the developer's side; so why not do it?
    wait a sec,
    when you toss sandwich its gone.
    With app, it will stay with you , you can always change your mind :-) and use it.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    congratulations on impersonating everyones grandfather with your "you spoiled young whipper snappers don't know how things were in my day" speech. Its not 1999 anymore so why would that business model in any way dictate how things are done in 2009?

Laptops no longer cost $3000. Smartphones no longer cost $600. And apps no longer cost $20.

I really don't understand how some people can hang the consumer just for basing their pricing expectations on what the industry is dictating.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    congratulations on impersonating everyones grandfather with your "you spoiled young whipper snappers don't know how things were in my day" speech. Its not 1999 anymore so why would that business model in any way dictate how things are done in 2009?

Laptops no longer cost $3000. Smartphones no longer cost $600. And apps no longer cost $20.

I really don't understand how some people can hang the consumer just for basing their pricing expectations on what the industry is dictating.
    Didn't mean to sound like the old man..lol
    I posted before on this. I think Apple conditioned people to expect iTunes like price points. Apps are the new track downloads.

I think the App Store has yet to prove itself. Right now there is still euphoria and gold rush talk but reality has started setting in for developers.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700

Couldn't have said it any better.
    I am sure we are all a bit tired of the constant threads *****ing and moaning about the same thing.
    Folks, say what you will, but we're talking about spending $.99, $1.99, etc. For anyone who can afford a $200+ smartphone and $70+/month service fees, these are trivial amounts. If you want to go on expecting as much value for far, far less money than we've spent in the past for applications, keep on keepin' on with your bad selves. Economic reality will out in the end.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I dont have a beef too much with the price but more with the lack of trial versions. Having to buy straight up and the ToC Palm has for an app not allowing refunds AT ALL is going to scare buyers away. Maybe once the apps get hella better then we may see more impulsive buying but peeps are like "Ill wait for someone to buy it and write a review if its good."

For price tags, PalmOS and WinMo customers have been used to much higher numbers but always had that trial option.

right on my brother

I paid $3000 for my laptop about 12 months ago.

I use it to make a living. I demanded quality. See if you can connect point A to point B.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    To the OP the problem is more nuanced than that. It's not about the price. It's about the quality and lack of options. It's an insult for someone to charge 5 bucks, for what amounts to a hobbist's work for them that it seems they will barely support or care about.

The issue isn't the 5 dollars.

The issue is once this thing finally takes off just how many of these 5 dollar **** apps do we have to go through before we get to the one (or one's) that are actually worth it.

I've paid for tons of winmo apps that ranged from 10 bucks for 40 but the difference is I knew they would work and I knew they would be supported. They also actually did something or allowed me to do something specific.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast