Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I paid $3000 for my laptop about 12 months ago.

I use it to make a living. I demanded quality. See if you can connect point A to point B.
    Precisely. You get what you pay for. But some folks seem to want their cake and eat it, too.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    IMHO, I think that the market and pricing will adjust itself over the course of time, just as it does for everything. $19.99 too much for THAT app? Don't buy it. After a while, either the developer will adjust the price (and probably the features) or just pull it.

Don't complain when that free app is nolonger available. If you weren't willing to pay a price for it, it probably wasn't worth it to you.

Me, I'm coming from the Treo world (as you can see in my sig). I paid many a dollar for Agendus Premier, Ptunes, Kinoma, and DVD Catalyst. Guess what? I'd gladly pay to buy most of them for my Pre (in Pre-versions, not Classic-compatibles). Why? Because they WERE valuable to me and ARE worth it!

Right now, my main App that I'd like to see is the Remix version of the music player. I with that Palm would buy that from the current developer, put it on the App Store as a paid update, and let the market take it for a spin! DRpodder is in this list, too.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    There are also a lot of users who are new to smartphones and think apps are mostly for entertainment value. And they are getting their phones after years of using free web apps. Perceptions will be tough to change.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

I really don't understand how some people can hang the consumer just for basing their pricing expectations on what the industry is dictating.
    Apple made people accustomed to paying $2-$5 bucks for apps that would have been previously worth $10-$20. This is the beauty of Capitalism. Some guy offers an app with a desirable capability and launches it for 20. The next guy launches basically the same thing but for 5. Competition = lower prices. That's just fine with me. I don't see why people should EXPECT to pay 20 bucks now-a-days for apps that where previously $20. Just because you paid that back in the day doesn't mean it's worth that now. So as Urkel said, nothing wrong with consumers expecting the prices to be competitive with the industry standard...which seems to be coming from Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    This is the beauty of Capitalism. Some guy offers an app with a desirable capability and launches it for 20. The next guy launches basically the same thing but for 5. Competition = lower prices. That's just fine with me. I don't see why people should EXPECT to pay 20 bucks now-a-days for apps that where previously $20. Just because you paid that back in the day doesn't mean it's worth that now. So as Urkel said, nothing wrong with consumers expecting the prices to be competitive with the industry standard...which seems to be coming from Apple.
    I have no issue with "expectations". It's the hyperbole and whining that I find irritating.

Folks, if you don't think the app is worth the money, don't buy it!!. The person writing it is also participating in capitalism: he's asking what he he thinks he can get for it. That's how it all works. This nonsense about rip-offs, or what devs "should" be charging is nonsense. They should charge what they can get.

BTW, a scarcity of programs driving prices higher is also part of capitalism.
    I paid $3000 for my laptop about 12 months ago.

I use it to make a living. I demanded quality. See if you can connect point A to point B.
    Unless you require topend (not just highend) cpu/graphics/memory, etc (CGI, CAD, etc.), $3000 for a laptop is still a very high price point for even heavy business users. That price point is more about meeting a very specfic need than it is about simply providing higher quality.

But hey... if it makes you feel better to simply say you demand quality and you spent $3000 on a laptop to get it... more power to you...
    I have no issue with "expectations". It's the hyperbole and whining that I find irritating.

Folks, if you don't think the app is worth the money, don't buy it!!. The person writing it is also participating in capitalism: he's asking what he he thinks he can get for it. That's how it all works. This nonsense about rip-offs, or what devs "should" be charging is nonsense. They should charge what they can get.

BTW, a scarcity of programs driving prices higher is also part of capitalism.
    Call me crazy... but I beleive he (they) may just be participating in something called "freedom of speech". I don't understand people who still get worked up over someone expressing thier opinion on the internet... on message boards...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12