Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 96 of 96
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I haven't tried any "carpenter level" sort of apps because the Pre does not have a flat edge (which, to me, makes the device sort of useless as a level).
    It does have a straight edge, you just don't know it yet.

    It only takes 2 points to define a straight line. If you simply slide your Pre open, you can make a line from the 2 high points. 1 on the body and one on the screen.

    Besides, this is a novelty app anyway. You wouldn't want to use if for anything where accuracy was important. That's what real levels are for.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by mr2man07 View Post
    Only thing missing to complement the flashlight app is a fart app. At least 3 useful apps are in there (Intersection, Dose (for medical people), and CL USB Sync)
    Not sure which flashlight app is in the catalog but the Homebrew App that uses the camera's flash/LED is pretty useful (and bright). Unfortunately, in the real world, flashlights turn on at the flick of a switch. In the Pre/cyber world, you need to wait for an app to start and then flick a virtual switch. This reduces the utility a bit.

    If the flashlight app in the app catalog is just a bright screen, then I'll agree with categorizing this alongside the very useful gas passing app.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yes, that's why I said service and app. Someone said WebOS Quick Install (or Preware) had problems installing. I don't know, I installed the service before it was available with those, but it's always worked well for me. One of the first HomeBrew apps I put on my Pre.
    Preware will install this quite fine I believe. Just make sure that both the service and the app are installed. Installing both of these in either order should work (in the event that installing the app does not install the service).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by fid View Post
    Since we're throwing out anecdotal stories, the one person I knew that had a Pre took it back shortly after purchase because it STOPPED working with iTunes properly (although there were other issues as well).

    It's funny now when I think of it (in hindsight), Sprint advising (or screening) him to make sure he wasn't expecting too much in the phone.
    This is very confusing....

    The quote you gave didn't have an anectdotal story. Bit of a stretch there, but I'm sure you were anxious to get it in.

    so this one person you know bought the Pre because it was lying to sync with iTunes, the when iTunes caught the nauty Pre_ he returned it.

    On top of all that, the unethical Palm went out of their way to ensure that Sprint would try to qualify the customer before selling.

    I'll grant you this, it's definitely an incredible story.
  5. fid
    fid is offline
    fid's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    so this one person you know bought the Pre because it was lying to sync with iTunes, the when iTunes caught the nauty Pre_ he returned it.

    ...

    I'll grant you this, it's definitely an incredible story.
    Hey, doesn't matter what you think. I just know he showed me his new 3GS earlier this week and the next day he was downloading apps. Things he was having problems with on his Palm, simply disappeared (for less than technical user in the previous quote).

    But I'm sure its time to blame the user, right?
  6. #86  
    I just use the White Light Home brew, works GREAT, was easy, and also FREE
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by fid View Post
    Well, like hparsons stated, I probably won't be touching this product since the last time I 'beta' tested for Palm I was paid for it (not the other way around). Keep the faith, gentlemen.

    Since we're throwing out anecdotal stories, the one person I knew that had a Pre took it back shortly after purchase because it STOPPED working with iTunes properly (although there were other issues as well).

    It's funny now when I think of it (in hindsight), Sprint advising (or screening) him to make sure he wasn't expecting too much in the phone.
    If the palm is so featureless maybe every single feature it does have should be compared with other phones and see which phones have more features or maybe I should say useful features. I could compare my Pre with classic app to any 'dumb' phone and there would be no comparison. I don't get people's logic with finding a few options missing and calling the phone garbage or worse than a dumb phone. That kind of logic baffles me.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by fid View Post
    Hey, doesn't matter what you think. I just know he showed me his new 3GS earlier this week and the next day he was downloading apps. Things he was having problems with on his Palm, simply disappeared (for less than technical user in the previous quote).

    But I'm sure its time to blame the user, right?
    So what you are saying is he bought his smart phone for itunes. ok then. Then I could see him using an iphone.
  9. fid
    fid is offline
    fid's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    If the palm is so featureless maybe every single feature it does have should be compared with other phones and see which phones have more features or maybe I should say useful features. I could compare my Pre with classic app to any 'dumb' phone and there would be no comparison. I don't get people's logic with finding a few options missing and calling the phone garbage or worse than a dumb phone. That kind of logic baffles me.
    I don't remember anyone stating this.

    I was concerned about the company (Palm) supporting it's product (and the way the product was/is promoted).

    Every product has its pluses and minus. Before the Pre, I was interested in the Blackberry Storm. This turned out to be one of the worst products RIM has released. It was an example of shoddy hardware combined with even worse software. Even now, most users have to perform a battery pull (or through automated software) to cleanup their phone.

    The way RIM supported the Storm had me concerned about how Palm would support the Pre. The storms user base had to wait 6 months for an official update to address some concerns. By then most had given up on it, switching to other phones.

    To Palm's credit, 'real' (and frequent) updates have occurred. This is unlike ANY previous product they've released and it is reassuring to see.

    However, I still believe that common users (like my colleague) are less willing to put up with problems like we've discussed. They will never visit a forum (much less participate) unless it is the target of a Google link in an attempt to see if anyone has seen their problem.

    They don't care about the technical reasons for why something works or doesn't. They don't care why some iTunes release broke their compatibility, they simply know that it doesn't work.

    In his case, everyone else who had iPhones didn't have a problem. He didn't want to become an expert on USB ID's. He was forced into it. I don't know if he purchased any software (since his abandonment occurred on Monday/Tuesday).

    I do know that he felt strong enough to break his contract with Sprint (it was after his 30 days), pay the Early termination fee and go get an iPhone.

    I'm not saying that most would be willing to switch carriers to get resolution but simply that the experience had left THAT bad of a taste in his mouth.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I haven't tried any "carpenter level" sort of apps because the Pre does not have a flat edge (which, to me, makes the device sort of useless as a level).
    I have a Seidio 2600 battery, and the back on it is flat....so it works for me! LOL
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by fid View Post
    Hey, doesn't matter what you think. I just know he showed me his new 3GS earlier this week and the next day he was downloading apps. Things he was having problems with on his Palm, simply disappeared (for less than technical user in the previous quote).

    But I'm sure its time to blame the user, right?
    Nope, sounds like he got a phone he's happy with. It would be sort of foolish for me to sit here and look for all kinds of things to complain about with Apple because someone else chose to buy their phone.

    See if you can connect point A to point B
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    So what you are saying is he bought his smart phone for itunes. ok then. Then I could see him using an iphone.
    Gee, isn't it nice that Apple made a phone for people who fit in this category!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  13. fid
    fid is offline
    fid's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Nope, sounds like he got a phone he's happy with. It would be sort of foolish for me to sit here and look for all kinds of things to complain about with Apple because someone else chose to buy their phone.

    See if you can connect point A to point B
    Point A - Palms shenanigans.
    Point B - One more Pre being sold on craigslist.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It does have a straight edge, you just don't know it yet.

    It only takes 2 points to define a straight line. If you simply slide your Pre open, you can make a line from the 2 high points. 1 on the body and one on the screen.
    You are absolutely correct! I'll have to install this and check it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I have a Seidio 2600 battery, and the back on it is flat....so it works for me! LOL
    I have a feeling someday I'll have to get a battery. Good to hear that it also helps keeping you on the level!

    I guess the next thing I would want (after a good jig to place the Pre in) would be a way to calibrate the level, read plumb, and to set custom slopes.

    (Off to Preware to install this now.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    Think about all the people that may have jumped ship due to the lack of apps if the homebrew scene never appeared.....
    Or would never have bought a Pre. It was the PalmReader homebrew app that sold me.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by fid View Post
    Point A - Palms shenanigans.
    Point B - One more Pre being sold on craigslist.
    That may be your point, but it wasn't the one I was making; but that's OK, I really didn't think you'd get it.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions