Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 96
  1. DrSuSE's Avatar
    Posts
    483 Posts
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    You obviously never owned a ipod touch or iphone.
    Obvious? I own (and hardly use anymore) an iPod Touch. I've had an iPhone briefly in the past as well.

    But yeah... obvious. :-P
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by SHO_ONE View Post
    Well said.... But I'm not saying I don't like my Pre... On the contrary I love my Pre it really is revolutionary IMHO.... My beef is more with the apps that are out there and what's being charged for them.

    As it was mentioned to me earlier, I will exercise my right not to make a purchase, but I ask you to do it with me... Demand better Apps... peacefully of course. Do so by letting Palm know we are not pawns they move around, but we chose to purchase a phone we all knew full well we were beta testing for them, but don't stick it in my face like it was your plan all along.... Homebrewers again, I thank you for everything you've done. To Palm, your moving at a snails pace and honestly we care about you and want you to move forward.... so please do!

    App catalog prices need to come down, don't try screwing us because your the first batch.

    Whose com'n with me.... whose com'n with me. I will not purchase crap from the app store untill they lower the prices and do somthing with this 2d crap!
    My goodness I think u read my mind!! Love the phone but 2 big problems... Homebrewers are moving at 100x the speed that palm is as far as patches and themes etc... Homebrewers are keeping my phone interesting by creating virtual keyboards, the led notification patch etc... Palm remember about the people like me... I generally switch my phone within 4 months if it begins to bore me... If you dont keep me interested I will abandon you. This phone has a bright future but you guys can really hold it back if you keep moving at a turtles pace with updates and simple features being left out like text fwd..

    And to touch the apps situation... Im waiting for more usefull and visual appealing apps to come out... The apps that came with the phone when it first came out like mobile craigslist and fandango etc are the apps I use the most and they were free99
  3. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by SHO_ONE View Post
    Just another bunch of fluff..... what happened to the over flow, the sea of apps? This is more like an old mans dribble. These app's are not what I expected for the palm. Honestly, who here thought we were going to go through such a painstaking and costly app store?

    I remember when we were all first talking about the store and the potential apps and how were we're to expect greater things than what the iphone has because lets face it, the iphone has a lotta apps and a lotta crap too. How dare you guys charge so much for these app, and those of you that give excuses like WM charged upwards of 10 - 30 bucks for their apps, who cares.... Thats why I own a Pre.

    I for one will not spend a single cent on any app until I feel it is worth the money. $4.99 for 50 gem's are you kidding me and *** is bobble for a buck.... I can live without it. I appreciate the homebrewers I do, but don't confuse the $5 donations we provided you to move your app on and support you with what you should charge us for your so called finished app. I personally think it's a slap in the face. Bitten the hand that fed you, you have!

    To Palm.... I'm now on strike, I will not purchase a single app untill the proper API's are out to create the apps we're all looking forward too. I love word ace and card ace THERE FRIKEN FREE..... Stitcher Radio, media fly.... If I played golf the Gold Pin finder would probably be worth the money.

    I am shocked at the prices you guys have chosen to put your apps at.
    Agree 100%.

    Early this week, someone made a thread that complained about the prices of apps in the store, and many people jumped down their throat citing the ostensibly economically sound 'if you don't buy it, the price will come down: stop comlpaining' as the panacea to catalog's gap between price and quality. Unfortunately, these people also forget that complete information is necessary for people to make sound judgement by not supporting those who produce overpriced apps. One of the ways this information is propagated is through the forums.

    The app store right now is like the Wild West. Some apps are worthwhile, but many are jerry-rigged solutions that are either half thought-out, half-hearted, or half-*** as many are trying to take advantage of the situation.

    I've personally donated to several homebrew groups whose apps were making progress. A donation says to a developer '"this is a good idea and I like what you are doing. Keep it up!" Many times the donations for a successful app will be surprisingly large; everyone wants to give and while some only have the ability to give a bit, others give much more than they would actually pay for the app since they are actually donating toward the time and effort of the dev.

    I think some developers are confused as to the nature of the catalog--it is a store, not a test center. While it is true many applications will require extensive testing, I find it disgusting that so many 'hobby apps' are not only charging for the 'privilege' or shoddy workmanship, but also charging a relatively pretty penny.

    That is not to say that the 'tinkerers' have no place in the app catalog eventually. They have been instrumental in getting the homebrew section off the ground, but, frankly, many apps should either remain free or stick to homebrew, especially when it comes to apps whose function is easily repeatable.

    The best apps should charge. It is great for instance that we have three twitter apps. Surely, we will soon have more, and they each have a scheme for generating revenue. They are each fully fledged-not some hacked together programmer's hobby-which allows the end user to decide which one to eventually choose. This is the idea, folks.

    Even though you will surely con some folks into it, no one wants to pay 2.99 for a version of snake that you programmed in a day and a half and sent to the app catalog as soon as you could. You wanna cash in on the lack of official apps by substituting craftsmanship and a unique approach for simple availability and shoddy work? Go ahead, but once palm opens up the catalog to allow for 'over the web' download links for apps that don't quite cut it, your punk *** is going to be left in the dust behind legitimate apps like Card Ace, Word Whirl, and Twee that people will donate to and pay for due to quality.
    Last edited by Stihl; 10/09/2009 at 06:04 PM.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by spork27 View Post
    Just tried the homebrew flashlight again and still no go. It probably has something to do with the fact that I'm unable to uninstall the led service as well.
    Same here. Tried to install the service, and it claims it was probably already installed (it wasn't). So I tried to install the Flashlight app, and it said it was already installed too (wasn't). Then I went to try to remove the phantom service, and it errored out. Sucks, I was looking forward to that little feature.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    Homebrewers are moving at 100x the speed that palm is as far as patches and themes etc... Homebrewers are keeping my phone interesting by creating virtual keyboards, the led notification patch etc...
    First, we all should be thanking Palm for keeping WebOS so open that homebrewers can be making these advances. This alone should give Palm quite a bit of leeway with us power users.

    Second, it's far, far easier for homebrewers to patch, skin, etc., simply because they don't have to worry about supporting the platform. If a patch breaks something, it's completely on the user (not even the homebrewer) to resolve (or, take a trip to the Doctor), and (most) people are fine with that. Palm, however, has to extensively test each and every change to the system before releasing to the 500K or however many users, most of whom are _not_ technically savvy.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by SHO_ONE View Post
    ...
    I am shocked at the prices you guys have chosen to put your apps at.
    Get over it. Miky D's sells a burger for $5. I would much rather see 500 quality $5, than 80,000 $1 pieces of crap.

    Hobbyists are going to sell $1 apps. Professionals need to make a living.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    ...
    Palm has violated my trust as a consumer, I felt I was helping to save the company and it turns out I am nothing but a stepping stone that they used. It is not the developers fault but I too refuse to not only buy any apps but will not be buying any palm accessories either.
    ...
    Didn't you say they were all going to be games? Maybe your expectations are just wrong. But more than anything else, how did Palm violate anything? How did they "use" you?

    This phone has brought out some amazing things. It's also brought out some ... well... not so amazing things...
  8. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #48  
    today's apps were definitely the least interesting batch so far. but i wouldn't get all upset. between the apps that have been released and what is in homebrew (and hopefully to the app catalog eventually) will be a decent, basic starting set. apple is starting to have problems cuz people can't find any apps they like in all the trash. be happy our good app to trash ratio is still pretty high.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by fid View Post
    Palm has lied again. This (along with not addressing things such as the app partition) is what keeps me from wanting to invest again in Palm products. Maybe it will get better, I just don't think it can with the current SDK.
    What did Palm lie about?
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Get over it. Miky D's sells a burger for $5. I would much rather see 500 quality $5, than 80,000 $1 pieces of crap.

    Hobbyists are going to sell $1 apps. Professionals need to make a living.
    But instead you're going to see $5 pieces of crap. Either way, you won't see quality apps til Palm takes care of its sdk.
  11. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    First, we all should be thanking Palm for keeping WebOS so open that homebrewers can be making these advances. This alone should give Palm quite a bit of leeway with us power users.

    Second, it's far, far easier for homebrewers to patch, skin, etc., simply because they don't have to worry about supporting the platform. If a patch breaks something, it's completely on the user (not even the homebrewer) to resolve (or, take a trip to the Doctor), and (most) people are fine with that. Palm, however, has to extensively test each and every change to the system before releasing to the 500K or however many users, most of whom are _not_ technically savvy.
    couldn't have posted a better post! 100% agree!
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    First, we all should be thanking Palm for keeping WebOS so open that homebrewers can be making these advances. This alone should give Palm quite a bit of leeway with us power users.

    Second, it's far, far easier for homebrewers to patch, skin, etc., simply because they don't have to worry about supporting the platform. If a patch breaks something, it's completely on the user (not even the homebrewer) to resolve (or, take a trip to the Doctor), and (most) people are fine with that. Palm, however, has to extensively test each and every change to the system before releasing to the 500K or however many users, most of whom are _not_ technically savvy.
    I never said we werent thankful, and it is to their advantage keeping homebrewers on the scene... They are keeping alot of people happy that otherwise may have not been.. Think about all the people that may have jumped ship due to the lack of apps if the homebrew scene never appeared.... I do definately understand your point but it appears palms priority list is a little off. We can definately use some more usefull changes then smiley faces in our updates. Instead of developing smiley faces which probably only 1% of us actually care about I would think text forwarding bare minimum would have been way more usefull( Heck even upping the size limitations on the apps we can download) . Its not like im asking for a video camara in the next update but just start getting some of the little things we are missing and need.. If they make a mistake which breaks something like the last update which broke peoples sync with Microsoxt Ex it would be alot more forgivable if they are giving us things we need...
  13. fid
    fid is offline
    fid's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What did Palm lie about?

    Unless they only have one co-op working the process. Perhaps 'lied' is a bit harsh but I think they were definitely misleading everyone...

    http://www.precentral.net/palm-overw...on-submissions
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    But instead you're going to see $5 pieces of crap. Either way, you won't see quality apps til Palm takes care of its sdk.
    Sorry, I disagree. I already see some very high quality apps. Yes, the SDK will make some even better apps; however, that doesn't negate the fact that there already some high quality apps in the catelog, and more on the way.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by fid View Post
    Unless they only have one co-op working the process. Perhaps 'lied' is a bit harsh but I think they were definitely misleading everyone...

    http://www.precentral.net/palm-overw...on-submissions
    Sorry, that's not misleading. Exactly how long do you think the process should be to approve an app? From the inital first sumission, to the final release? Please, you're accusing a company of lying (even though you later back off some). Even "misleading" is harsh, unless you can articulate why.
  16. SHO_ONE's Avatar
    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    Sorry,

    I must of missed that. Can you point me to the commercial that said warning you are purchasing a "beta phone"
    Do you honestly believe everything your told (or in this case not told)?

    When do you live (no I didn't screw that up) since when has anyone from our government to your local retailer given you the truth... the complete truth. If we aren't beta testing this phone then tell me what need do we have of the homebrewers their patches and tweaks and apps. Why then do we root our phones at the risk of possibly bricking our phones.

    I am with you brother, I too love my phone and think it's the best phone I've ever had the pleasure of owning; however don't fool yourself for a moment if you don't think your not beta testing this phone. When the multiple updates, why the "BETA" app store.

    IMHO, we are a community and I don't want to be rude. So no, there was no commercial that said this was a beta phone, I've just learned through out the years to think for myself. If it wasn't for our homebrewers we wouldn't have time-stamping on our messages let a lone able to forward them.... These 2 features alone are one of the most standard on most phone's. My daughters rumor 2 does that now....

    The Pre along with Web OS is the future of phone OS's and that might as well be fact to me!!! Think for yourself....
  17. #57  
    The store is still in BETA. I really think if there are any big developers with some big app then they are not going to participate in the BETA and PALM will save them for the big launch... whenever that is.

    Definitely not cool that they have gone 4 months without full launch of app store. They have twitter and better to be honest and let people know where they are at and let owners feel part of it then to play guessing game.

    But once it is launched... be realistic on the apps launched at the beginning.
    there is an old saying... you can not run until you first learn to fart

    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    But instead you're going to see $5 pieces of crap. Either way, you won't see quality apps til Palm takes care of its sdk.
  18. #58  
    I just checked out a new app out for the iPhone and after posting last comment wondering because I really don't know the limitations of the SDK so good to know so that we understand exactly what developers are able to do with the current SDK.

    Can developers create an app like Rock Band being showing here on youtube with the current SDK?

  19. #59  
    The Bogus Phone Call application is hilarious, and works as advertised. It works just like having a friend call you half way through a meeting or date or any event that you don't want to be in. The best part is that you can set it up yourself and have anyone in your contact list call you...or at least look like they are calling you. If you press the ignore button, it calls you back in a little bit.

    Brilliant!
  20. SHO_ONE's Avatar
    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Get over it. Miky D's sells a burger for $5. I would much rather see 500 quality $5, than 80,000 $1 pieces of crap.

    Hobbyists are going to sell $1 apps. Professionals need to make a living.
    Mickey D's... which has nothing to do with apps sells burgers from a buck on up to 5 bucks and can do so because they are "tried and true" our beta app catalog and most of the apps within are not....

    Your point isn't really any kind of point at all... We all want 500 quality apps and I too would pay $5 for quality seeing that I have donated to multiple dev's myself.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions