1.    #1  
    So seemingly the GSM pre will be launched with 1.1.3. Can anyone say how this will affect all the homebrew apps that are available.

I guess we wont have access to the app store with 1.1.3 so homebrew is our only option at this stage. Where does that leave us?

Are there many apps available for 1.1.3??

Thanks
    Gx
    Last edited by Griffinx; 10/26/2009 at 06:23 PM.
    Seems that all apps except paid are there.

Homebrew apps are reported to work in most cases -> nexave.de
    App store works on GSM version - no issues.
    btw. the ROMs for WebOS doctor are available now:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...n-1-1-3-a.html

so you can "unbrick" a EU device now if you also try webos patches beside the usual homebrew apps
    If you're interested, I've been patching my UK O2 phone without any problems using the quilt command line method - I haven't tested that many though, the add/del launcher pages and the mark all read/delete all patches are useful though!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Or just install the 1.2.1 firmware Use the newest Sprint Webdoctor, switch off the phone, hold "volume up" and conntect the usb cable. The only issue with 1.2.1 on GSM Pre is that not all apps are shown in the app catalogue (only 15 or so).
    Is there a workaround for the problem with not showing all the apps in the catalogue?
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chortya View Post
    Or just install the 1.2.1 firmware Use the newest Sprint Webdoctor, switch off the phone, hold "volume up" and conntect the usb cable. The only issue with 1.2.1 on GSM Pre is that not all apps are shown in the app catalogue (only 15 or so).
    Sounds like a simple solution, will give it a shot. So basically just webOS Doctor the phone to 1.2.1 sprint firmware.

What does holding the volume up key when connecting the USB cable achieve?

Have you run into any issues with the GSM Pre running 1.2.1? Besides the app catalog not showing all available applications.

P.S One final question, irrespective of what firm ware you have got on will my palm profile still log in correctly with all the data that has been stored on it?

P.P.S I assume all available patches should install correctly once ive got the sprint firmware on there?
    i didn't have any problems moving to 1.2.1 in my german pre.
    indeed i did it by mistake clicking in the wrong .jar file in my macbook. But at the end i'm happy with the change.
    Activation worked, palm profile worked and everything works.
    I only know catalog doesn't work cause i read it here. I didn't even realize before as i never enter in the catalog (only homebrew and patches)

The only patch that i don't manage to make work is the key to mute the camera.
    No solution to the lack of apps in catalog?
    Quote Originally Posted by FinaTk View Post
    What does holding the volume up key when connecting the USB cable achieve?
    It puts the device into recovery mode. Same as typing "tellbootie recover" on the command line.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH View Post
    If you're interested, I've been patching my UK O2 phone without any problems using the quilt command line method - I haven't tested that many though, the add/del launcher pages and the mark all read/delete all patches are useful though!

I'm posting here both as an "advocate" and liking my curiosity wants to know the answer to this basic question:

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH View Post
    ... I've been patching my UK O2 phone without any problems using the quilt command line method ...
    Perhaps posting some examples of quilt commands that you have successfully used would be useful to others wanting to install apps.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    ... Same as typing "tellbootie recover" on the command line.
    Rod, if you can give a pointer ro the easiest way to get a command line on a 1.1.3 Pre these days, that would be helpful. Do they use WebOS Quick Install 2.03 to first install Preware, and then use the terminal service/app? Or since they had to install the SDK, they probably can just use novacom to get a shell prompt? (Of course anyone - not just Rod - with suggesions should chime in here.)

Another suggestion: If not already existing, perhaps you all can start a thread listing which apps specifically work for 1.1.3. (You might be able to get clues by searching old threads/posts, but a fresh list will probably be most helpful to everyone in GSM Pre land.

EDIT: Noticed a thread for patches:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...at-doesnt.html
    but haven't yet noticed a thread for apps.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Rod, if you can give a pointer ro the easiest way to get a command line on a 1.1.3 Pre these days, that would be helpful. Do they use WebOS Quick Install 2.03 to first install Preware, and then use the terminal service/app? Or since they had to install the SDK, they probably can just use novacom to get a shell prompt? (Of course anyone - not just Rod - with suggesions should chime in here.)
    Install Preware (either using WebOS Quick Install - 2.8something is the latest version) and then install Terminal (Preware will handle the dependencies now). Use just use the Preware stand-alone installer from Index of /

If you have the SDK, novaterm is the easiest way.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Hi

I have have problem installing the V.keyboard. It may sound a bit stupid, but I got the German Pre and I installed Preware by using WebosQuickinstall version 2.8. When I try to install the virtual keyboard, it says; "VK requires a script to be executed after installation" and when I push OK it says; "error installing, see IPKG log".
    Can anybody tell what i`m doing wrong....please give me some advice.
    if you have german version of WebOS 1.1.3, you cannot instal V. keyboard.
    You need to install Sprint version 1.2.1 but that will make you lose the chance to download most of the apps from the Catalog.
    Thanks elborderas