1.    #1  
    A few days after I got the Pre I had noticed this odd black translucent material on my hand after handling the phone. It was several days later that I noticed that the material had come from the side back cover of Pre. That was a little more then a month ago and now my poor back plate is now only about half covered with the coating. The phone is holster case kept, so it doesn't get abused, unless the slide friction from the case is the problem, or the heat that was generated when I left pandora paused for 40 minutes in the case.

I am actually not too bothered by it, I will get the touch stone eventually and that will replace the cover, but has anyone else had there Pre have it's 'skin' fall off the back?

If you open your battery cover, you can see that the back is just a molded plastic piece, it is buffed on the outside, but I think the coating was just to make the sheen of the phone consistent with the front plate.

I have the invisible shield on the front, but I don't think it is the same material anyway, I don't guess it would flake too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by urlmaker; 10/09/2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added picture.
  2.    #2  
    Odd, I am the only one with this issue. I must have sulfuric acid for sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by urlmaker View Post
    Odd, I am the only one with this issue. I must have sulfuric acid for sweat.
    Ok ok, i'll reply.
    I don't have the exact same problem ur describing, BUT - There are very tiny chips at the seam area of the top half on the left hand side. (and i keep it in the palm leather case, never dropped it and never even homebrewed it.)
    Unfortunately (for this comparison), all three of the Pre's in my house have Touchstone backs...and they never seem to show any wear.

I have four plastic Pre backs doing nothing at the moment...and I also live in Nova (Herndon/Reston area). Ping me if you want to drop by and pick one up. No charge.

cheers,
    Steve
    do you use anything to clean the back with to get smudges off?? thats the only thing i can think of at the moment
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by franky_402 View Post
    do you use anything to clean the back with to get smudges off?? thats the only thing i can think of at the moment
    Yeah, like acetone? Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Yeah, like acetone? Lol
    ACETONE? That can dissolve some types of plastics! Just use glass cleaner sprayed onto a paper towel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Yeah, like acetone? Lol
    Nope, I don't use any solvents or even household cleaners to get smudges off. I will generally just wipe it with a napkin or hand towel. I did use windex on the invisible shield on the front once to try to remove a smudge. Nothing on the back.

The other oddity is that the flaking seems to have halted. Like maybe the adhesive that that company uses to get the coating to stick only was applied to half of the cover. When maybe a quarter of the phone was peeled, I started peeling away pieces till it got to the third that it is at now. Now it's stuck there.
    I have 2 nice smudges / dull marks above and below the Palm logo on the back of mine, seemingly from where I hold my finger when using the phone. i haven't noticed any residue on my fingers, but it has definitely worn from use.