Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    This is driving me nuts. I thought people said you could have tons of cards open. Like 30 plus. The most I've ever had open was about 7. Right now I have two browser windows open, trying to open a third and the Pre keeps popping up with that button saying I have too many cards open.

I only have two open!
    It's doing this to me all the time. I've only had the phone for a week.

What's the deal?
    Do you have homebrew on your device? I've found quite a bit of homebrew does not clean up their listeners when their scenes are disposed of which causes memory leaks.

I steer clear of homebrew and, at any one time, I've had 10 or more cards open for multiple items: browsers, tweed, messages, email, email reply, etc.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Yeah I do have homebrew. Perhaps I should take it off. Though I do like those programs. Never any easy answer is there. Lol
    If you take them off, restart your phone to remove any memory leaks that may have occurred. Tough to say which ones to get rid of; homebrew gets a bad wrap sometimes and it's usually just a few developers who cause these leaks.
    I had this problem yesterday -- first time it's happened -- two cards open and wouldn't let me open a third. Weird.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Wouldnt it take you longer to sift through 20 cards rather than just re-launch an app?

I never leave more than 3 open at a time, even when I'm REALLY busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsnuts View Post
    Wouldnt it take you longer to sift through 20 cards rather than just re-launch an app?

I never leave more than 3 open at a time, even when I'm REALLY busy.
    I don't think you understand the issue at hand. The OP cannot open a third card right now.

Closing applications is what, technically, starts the memory leak because the application didn't release the listener it was using. Launching the same application again and then closing it, and now you have two listeners floating around out there.

Constantly opening and closing applications will, technically, accelerate the issue if one or more of these applications have memory leaks.
    A soft reset should let you open a lot more again.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I had this problem for the first time myself last night.. I had my email open and a browser card, and when I attempted to pull up the camera app, that's when the issue started... Even closing both my email and browser cards STILL resulted in the "Too many cards open" error.

A reboot seemed to fix it.
    I can't see why anyone would need more than say 7 cards open at any one given time. I have homebrew and generally have 3 to 5 open without any problems. I can't imagine not having homebrew on these guys. It's what makes the phone.
    I RECOMMEND that EVERYONE get the "luna manager" from Preware. it will cause a partial restart that is faster than turning your phone off, but allow to clean up and programs that didn't close quite right. it works great!
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    ..Or here's a fix that moves the ceiling of how much memory your phone can use higher

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...rds-error.html