Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wonder if anyone else reading this forum has had a similar experience with the Pre or other phones, but I've only seen it with the Pre.

My original Pre busted with the infamous cracked screen emanating from the navigation button. My second Pre (which came in the yellow box) has been great except for one strange issue. More often than not, when I bring my Pre into my car (96 Accord), the colors on the screen warp drastically, like when you press your thumb against an LCD monitor. At first I thought this may have been interference with the Bluetooth radio, but I can get this behavior without the BT radio or my car's BT device operating. When I get out of my car, a minute or so later the screen looks normal. This was not an issue with my first device, only this second one.

There is a small screen distortion in the corner that I can see when I look at a sharp angle, but it's not visible when looking head-on at the screen.

Is there anything that comes to mind in this regard? Any potential interference with my car, its system, AC/fuel, etc?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    This may sound funny but when I put on my polarized sunglasses the screen becomes distorted.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    +1 on the above... possibly the tint or polarized glass in your car?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Here's another vote for polarized glasses. Same thing happened to me.
    The only way I can think of that could cause this (and it's NOT polarized sunglasses) is if it's incredibly humid in your car but I would imagine that would damage your phone and not cause just discoloration.
    can you do a screen capture? will it look distorted also?

do you have magnets in your head liner?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I vote polarized glass or sunglasses.
    Yep, polarized glasses create all sorts of warping and color change.
    paranormal activity
    I'm guessing that the OP puts on his polarized sunglasses when he gets in his car, just like I do (I store them in an overhead bin). And the Pre screen is definitely sensitive to polarization.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer12 View Post
    paranormal activity
    I might go check out that movie this weekend. Heard its ok.

And just because it wasn't mentioned yet in this thread, do you happen to wear polarized glasses when riding in your car?
    Follow Me On

And some people look like aliens to me too with polarized glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by kehanra99 View Post
    Just throwing this out there.....

I might be polarized lenses in your sunglasses. I'm surprised no one mentioned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nate7161 View Post
    This may sound funny but when I put on my polarized sunglasses the screen becomes distorted.
    Quote Originally Posted by tguolee View Post
    Here's another vote for polarized glasses. Same thing happened to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    The only way I can think of that could cause this (and it's NOT polarized sunglasses) is if it's incredibly humid in your car but I would imagine that would damage your phone and not cause just discoloration.
    Quote Originally Posted by toburg View Post
    I vote polarized glass or sunglasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by kehanra99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm guessing that the OP puts on his polarized sunglasses when he gets in his car, just like I do (I store them in an overhead bin). And the Pre screen is definitely sensitive to polarization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    I might go check out that movie this weekend. Heard its ok.

And just because it wasn't mentioned yet in this thread, do you happen to wear polarized glasses when riding in your car?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    And some people look like aliens to me too with polarized glasses.
    Bucsnnoles:

Yeah... I'm not sure why no one mentioned polarized sunglasses either
  15.    #15  
    I agree about the polarized glasses/windows part, but the odd thing is that it (1) doesn't always warp and (2) can warp back and forth while I'm driving. So I could get in the car and the phone looks fine. After a minute or two, the screen looks warped. And then a half hour later, everything's fine. Sometimes the screen doesn't warp/distort at all. And the distortion is uneven; blotches or hot spots will appear in certain areas (and from what I can tell, they appear in the same places every time).

Guy at Sprint store, fwiw, had no clue but hinted at BT radio. I was convinced it was that until I turned off all BT in my car and it still happened. This also is only happening with my 2nd-gen Palm Pre (if I am correct in saying that the yellow packaging hints as 2nd gen and not the 1st gen in the orange box).

I have not done a screen shot, but I will try next time it occurs in my car. I'll also see if I can take a normal picture should that assist.

And this is why I love precentral.net - not only does the homebrew community rock (I'm working on my own homebrew app at the moment), but the forums are the best.
    wait, has anyone had this happen when they put on fishing glasses?

its crayz
    There are four lights.
    Hey, do you all think that it could possibly be polarized glasses?
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
    The problem is that the build quality of the Accord is so great that you notice other problems. Buy a Ford or something and (by comparison) you will not notice any problems with your Pre anymore!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Possibly Beer Goggles?
    LCD screens work by manipulating the polarization plane of reflected/emitted light. If you want details, go here:

HowStuffWorks "How LCDs Work"

It sounds like most everyone who has responded is familiar with how polarized sunglasses can distort an LCD image. The same kind of thing happens with automotive window glass. Because of the rapid-quenching process used to form automotive glass into curving shapes, it takes on strange patterns of polarization.

To see what I'm talking about, inspect your front or rear windshield in sunlight while wearing polarized sunglasses - you'll see spots, streaks, or other patterns.

End result is the light inside most cars takes on random and unusual patterns of polarization which can really distort LCD images. That's all that's happening here.

Oh, unless you leave your Pre on your dash on a hot, sunny day - then, the distortion you see is a result of the plastic melting all over your car!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast