Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Forgive me if this is addressed elsewhere, but I couldn't find this via search...

One really cool feature of the Pre is the way it handles addresses. For example, if I click on the street address of one of my contacts it will automatically launch Google Maps and find that location for me (so that I can then map it and get directions, etc). But in my own experience, the built-in Sprint Nav app is actually much more convenient (due to voice prompts, turn-by-turn directions, realtime traffic updates, etc) and also runs faster! Is there a hack or patch that make the Sprint Nav app act as the default mapping application?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing myself.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I'm all for this...
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    If I put the addresses in there that would be so much cooler!
    If you start from Sprint Nav, now you can at least pull in addresses from your contacts (with the latest WebOS update). Also, unlike GM, you can save locations, and recent locations are automatically saved.

What Sprint Nav doesn't do, at least not well, is allow me to explore a map after my route has been made. For some reason, while panning & scanning, it likes to pop me back to my current location. Also, it doesn't do any routing unless it has your current location. So, no planning unless you're at the starting gate.

Regards,
    Tom
    I would like this also, but judging from the time it took them to integrate the contacts into SprintNav, I imagine that its a little difficult getting the info to call SprintNav. But I could be wrong. Maybe they are closer now that they figured out the contacts issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    If you start from Sprint Nav, now you can at least pull in addresses from your contacts (with the latest WebOS update). Also, unlike GM, you can save locations, and recent locations are automatically saved.

What Sprint Nav doesn't do, at least not well, is allow me to explore a map after my route has been made. For some reason, while panning & scanning, it likes to pop me back to my current location. Also, it doesn't do any routing unless it has your current location. So, no planning unless you're at the starting gate.

Regards,
    Tom
    I could swear Ive entered a starting location by using a saved location and planned a route before.
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    I could swear Ive entered a starting location by using a saved location and planned a route before.
    Just click "Edit route" at the bottom when it pops up to generate your route, then change the starting location from there. It will give you route information from the selected starting location to your destination.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    How do you do this? When I go into Contacts from within Sprint Navigation I only have 2 addresses in there but I have many more in my contacts list. Why are these 2 the only ones coming up?
    You should be able to get SprintNav to be your default... WinMo phones would let you select a contact from your contacts and click drive to... And it opened SprintNav... Pre should be able to pull this off too.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Treo 800W (WinMo) didn't have this feature initially. But it was added later on. In a contact, it gave two options - Drive To (Sprint Nav) and Map It (Google Maps). Hopefully the same will happen for Pre.
    Last edited by bkdude; 10/09/2009 at 09:27 PM.
    It's possible to call up the Sprint Nav from a command, according to the Palm Developer Forum- Forums webOS • View topic - Sprint Navigator. Might be possible to modify the apps to call that up instead.