Best battery saving advice ever: Just leave it off
    Good one Peteman100,

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Turn off EVDO data if you don't need it - I use "Quick System Tasks" to do it when I'm at work and don't need data on my phone. My battery drains at less than 1% an hour with data off, compared with 8-14% with data on.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    If it "barely" charges, then that means you are in fact gaining charge, which means you could run mytether until the end of time.
    I used MyTether with 15 people connecting to me via wifi & charging via USB. Phone died after 6 hours & was plugged in the whole time. My Pre also suffered heat damage due to the 15 people working off my phone's wifi for 2 days in a row (looked like an air bubble under the screen - Sprint said it was heat damage & I had to exchange it using insurance).
    Quote Originally Posted by tvmatt View Post
    I used MyTether with 15 people connecting to me via wifi & charging via USB. Phone died after 6 hours & was plugged in the whole time. My Pre also suffered heat damage due to the 15 people working off my phone's wifi for 2 days in a row (looked like an air bubble under the screen - Sprint said it was heat damage & I had to exchange it using insurance).
    No offense intended, but didn't it occur to you that using your phone as a WiFi router for 15 people at a time with continuous data connections for 2 days might be a little hard on your Pre? Seems kind of obvious.

I have mytether installed, and it's great for what it's for, but the Pre is a smartphone, not a router.

This is really what my sarcastic little post was about to begin with. The Pre is a smartphone. It's not a moblie jukebox, it's not a full function industrial router. If you expect it to do things it was never designed to do, AND expect it to do them as though it WAS designed to, you're going to be disappointed.
    whats the difference between that "use auto locate" under location services
    and unchecking the "locate me using...GPS" checkmark under preferences
    I thought that was the highest battery drain....like it would make the phone check for mail at gmail constantly...are you sure that is a lower battery drain?
    I only "cripple" my phone @ work when I'm not using it, but once I go outside for break time I turn GPS on use the crap out of it.

When I'm at home, everything is maxed out because I'm always near a charger. I don't see what's so wrong with the battery life. Of course it runs out faster than we'd all like, but think of the amount of things the phone is doing and be honest, will you ever be satisfied with battery life on any electronic product these days?

I am an enthusiast of the Zune HD, which gets up to 36 hours of audio battery life, 9 hours of video playback, can you believe people still complain about that?
    Poor OP was just trying to help.....
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Why the hell would I want to cripple my phone w/ these tips. If I wanted to turn all my stuff off I would have bought an Iphone.

ITS A COMPUTER FOR CHRISTS SAKE THE BATTERY IS NOT GOING TO LAST LIKE YOUR CHOCOLATE!
    While I think your view may be a little over-forcably stated, I agree. I don't want to turn off GPS, IM alerts, or email checking. I have always kept the brightness down, and don't typically run open apps, though I do have several that are "service" type apps, that run in the background.

Each user is going to have to adapt to battery solutions to his/her personal needs. The soultion that has worked almost flawlessly for me is this:

• Touchstone at home
    • Charger at work
    • Charger in the car
    • Use all of the above when in that location

I would say, I'd like to see Palm develop a Touchstone designed for the car. Dropping the price a bit wouldn't hurt my feelings either.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    My Tether causes a negative drain during a usb connection. It never charges fully. So I have to use WiFi and plug it into the wall. Somehow there is a difference between the usb charging and the wall outlet charging.

I have reinstalled Novacom [Palm SDK] to see if that makes a difference...haven't checked since tho.

usb connections supply a bare minimum of power. use a wall charger if you really want to charge.
    Actually, most battery issues are from weak radio signal. Screen brightness never really affects mine much, nor does GPS (I use geostrings). When in my house and the phone data radio on, however, it drops like a rock. Email also depends on use. It's actually usually better to use 'as arrive' if you don't have high volumes. Why? because if the connection is open with no traffic, it won't have as much battery drain as sending traffic to tear down and re-establish the pop or imap connection every x minutes. IMAP Idle (what people call push mail) also does not require the client to poll, whereas checking every x minutes does.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    My Tether causes a negative drain during a usb connection. It never charges fully. So I have to use WiFi and plug it into the wall. Somehow there is a difference between the usb charging and the wall outlet charging.
    The palm chargers put out a full amp. I think USB standard is usually 500-600mA? This is also why you can't power a touchstone from a standard USB charger or computer port.
    I'm always lost I need my GPS on all the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by tvmatt View Post
    Turn off EVDO data if you don't need it - I use "Quick System Tasks" to do it when I'm at work and don't need data on my phone. My battery drains at less than 1% an hour with data off, compared with 8-14% with data on.
    What is quick system tasks?
    I don't have it on my pre. I want to turn evdo off to save battery while in school :P
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12