Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    There have been a few threads about the power button not working..or phone randomly 'thinking' the power button has been depressed...but has anyone had the issue I have?

The power button is stuck in the "down" position and I can not for the life of me get it uncompressed. There is no clicking of the power button, because it is basically locked in place. If I push down on the button REALLY hard I can get the "turn off" dialog box to appear, but I have been keeping the phone on and charged in order to avoid this brute force to my Pre.

Anyone else have this issue?

BTW, I took the phone to Sprint store today and they ordered a replacement for me which should arrive tomorrow. I have the $7/mo insurance so the phone will be replaced for free..
    I was having the same problem but i took it to a corporate store and the repaired it in about 30mins. Good as new!!...
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    just this morning my power button, same thing, is stuck down and i have to push pretty hard to lock/unlock it. u said the sprint store fixed it, do u know what they did im at penn state university and no where near a sprint store
    had the same problem, sprint ordered me a refurb
    I had that problem, too. Brought it to a sprint store and they swapped it out for another (refurb) pre.
    Well my launch day pre just had this problem happen to me, button seems stuck depressed. I'll have to take it up to the Sprint store later today.
    Launch day pre had this happen about 4 weeks ago. They replaced it with a refurb. Was shipped to me the next day.
    My last Pre had that problem where it thought the power button was always pressed. But my problem was a little different in that the button still physically clicked just fine...
    I actually just started having this problem this morning. Glad to hear your Sprint store was ready and willing to replace it... Hopefully I'll be just as lucky (also have the $7/month insurance).

If I manage to get my hands on another Pre that isn't nearly as scratched as mine, that'll definitely be a plus.
    I bought my Pre about 3 weeks after launch and it appears to have gotten this issue.. uh, well, 3 weeks after you!

Power button fail after x # of months, huh? awesome! #not.

UPDATE: they are replacing it. new/refurb pre on wednesday.. but still. Palm failed. this is pretty terrible build quality. (also the usb plug in port ripped loose this weekend)
    Last edited by rudramakesmovie; 11/02/2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: update/incomplete
    I got my Pre today. I thought that since I didn't get it in a fancy box with all the accessories it was refurb'd, but it looks like it's new. I even went ahead and decided I'd take better care of this one and went ahead and ordered case/screen protector for it.

I was pleasantly surprised that the Backup restored more than just my contacts. All my notes, speed dials, email accounts, tasks, and apps from the app catalog are intact (basically, anything not homebrew).

I was also surprised to see that my phone came with 1.1. If it wasn't for WebOS Quick Install not working, I wouldn't have noticed though (didn't get any update notification).
    Its an easy fix...just pry off the button gently and put a tiny piece of rubber underneath the button to give it some spring and BOOM you're in business!

I used a small piece of balloon but you could just as easliy use a rubber band or similar improvisation.
    I've had my Pre since launch and this was the first real problem that I have had... I pressed the Power Button the other day and it just stayed in. After reading some previous posts I was able to fix the issue.

Quick Solution....
    Turn Screen On
    Until you get around to fixing the problem you can turn the screen on by opening the slider. If the screen blanks while the slider is open, just press any key on the keyboard to turn it on.
    Turn Screen Off
    The obvious solution is that you can just let the screen turn itself off, but this wastes precious battery life. You can also download an app from the PreWare catalog named "ScreenOff". I put mine down in the Quick Launch Bar. It's sole function is to turn the screen off. The app then exits when the screen turns on.

DIY- Fixing the Problem
    - As another user noted the button is easy to take off. Get a small flathead screw driver and stick it under the battery side of the button and pry a little. Then go to the screen-side of the button on the left then right side and it pops right off. (Note: Be sure to get it just under the button. The goal is to pop the button off not pry the lid apart, so be gentle)
    - Look down in the hole where the button was and you will see a silver pad. That is the contact pad. You can test that it still works by pushing down on it with the end of a dull pencil. The pad should click when pressed and the screen should turn on. Pressing again should turn off the screen. If it doesn't then your problem is beyond the scope of this post.
    - Notice that the hole is in the shape of a "T". You need to find a rubber band that will fit the width of top part of the "T". Then cut it to match the length of the top part of the "T" and shove it in there. (Note that if the rubber band is too wide the button won't fit back on, so find one less wide.)
    - Pop the button back into place and you should be in business. The power button will then click when pressed down and spring up when released. Remember when replacing the button that the two little tabs go toward the screen and the large post goes towards the back (i.e. the Top of the "T").
    Last edited by SirRob94; 07/05/2010 at 02:40 PM.
    I just had this happen to me. I called one store and they said it would be a flat $119 fee to fix. Ughh.

Until I get around to fixing this myself (hopefully), is there a way to turn my phone ON if it dies / shuts off? I thought I remembered reading about maybe a keyboard shortcut that could be used? Or, will I be able to do it by removing and re-inserting the battery?
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    just had the same issue. Power button has no 'click' in it anymore. I could push real hard and get it to register...I didn't want to gamble on a refurb as this is the only issue I have with my pre, so I cut a small peice of a rubber band and put it under the power button.

Works perfect, and it feels better than the original!
    Just fixed mine. My only challenge was finding a small enough rubber band... but it worked like a champ.

I think I might follow the lead of others though and use the screen off app a bit more often.

Btw, has anyone had problems with their power button now popping off after the change to put something under it?
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASprintGuy View Post
    Just fixed mine. My only challenge was finding a small enough rubber band... but it worked like a champ.

I think I might follow the lead of others though and use the screen off app a bit more often.

Btw, has anyone had problems with their power button now popping off after the change to put something under it?
    I have mine fixed for weeks now, and not had the problem with the button popping off. If you do, your rubber band is too big.
    My cousin is switching phones. Before he gets rid of his Pre I popped off his phone's power button to examine it.

There were no noteable difference in the plastic button itself on his unit compared to mine with the rubberband fix.

The only difference that I could see was that on his Pre a tiny black nub almost the size of a period is affixed to the top of the contact pad that the plastic button presses. I guess that comes off on the broken units. The rubber band then gives the thickness necessary for the button to contact the pad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASprintGuy View Post

Yeah, splicing just the right size of rubber band is the tricky part.

Going on close to 7 months strong with this DIY solution. Forget the Sprint repair center.
    yeah the first pre i had the power button broked and was replaced for free
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast