Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRob94 View Post
    I've had my Pre since launch and this was the first real problem that I have had... I pressed the Power Button the other day and it just stayed in. After reading some previous posts I was able to fix the issue.

Quick Solution....
    Turn Screen On
    Until you get around to fixing the problem you can turn the screen on by opening the slider. If the screen blanks while the slider is open, just press any key on the keyboard to turn it on.
    Turn Screen Off
    The obvious solution is that you can just let the screen turn itself off, but this wastes precious battery life. You can also download an app from the PreWare catalog named "ScreenOff". I put mine down in the Quick Launch Bar. It's sole function is to turn the screen off. The app then exits when the screen turns on.

DIY- Fixing the Problem
    - As another user noted the button is easy to take off. Get a small flathead screw driver and stick it under the battery side of the button and pry a little. Then go to the screen-side of the button on the left then right side and it pops right off. (Note: Be sure to get it just under the button. The goal is to pop the button off not pry the lid apart, so be gentle)
    - Look down in the hole where the button was and you will see a silver pad. That is the contact pad. You can test that it still works by pushing down on it with the end of a dull pencil. The pad should click when pressed and the screen should turn on. Pressing again should turn off the screen. If it doesn't then your problem is beyond the scope of this post.
    - Notice that the hole is in the shape of a "T". You need to find a rubber band that will fit the width of top part of the "T". Then cut it to match the length of the top part of the "T" and shove it in there. (Note that if the rubber band is too wide the button won't fit back on, so find one less wide.)
    - Pop the button back into place and you should be in business. The power button will then click when pressed down and spring up when released. Remember when replacing the button that the two little tabs go toward the screen and the large post goes towards the back (i.e. the Top of the "T").
    My button went out, but I just followed the DIY, and it works like a charm, even better actually, has a nice click to it.
    Yeah, thanks for the fix for my power button problem!!!!
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by glacius View Post
    had the same problem, sprint ordered me a refurb
    ditto
    The rubber band trick works pretty well. One trick that I found was to use a fingernail cutter to trim the rubber band down. Essentially, I had to use a piece that fit the top of the "T" that was about as wide as two index cards placed on top of each other.
    Here is how some people have fixed the broken power button:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...utton-fix.html

Also, people have posted in here that the technicians at some Sprint repair centers will swap out the power buttons from returned Pre's that they have in stock.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    My power button just broke on my today. Sounds like the same thing other people have posted here. I will try the rubberband fix tonight. Otherwise, I'll hit the Sprint store. However, I'd like to avoid a refurb or replacement, I just doctored my with 1.4.5 and got all my patches and homebrew apps back on it and it's in great software "shape." I'd hate to have to do that all over again with a new phone.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    you guys are the best... i should have tried this with my launch day pre that i returned because of the same problem. that phone was way better than this refurb that i have now.. the rubber band fix is perfect! whoever tries this should make sure they trim the rubber band down really thin. i spent at least 30 min trying to make the button work with too thick of a rubber band. if its too thick, then the little clicking mechanism will always stay down and it will always show the power off options.
    My almost one year old pre just got this tonight. I was freaking out. I tried the paper method but did not like the fact that it wasn't clicky, so i did the rubber band method which still wasn't clicky so i sprayed some compressed air around the power button and now it has a slight click almost brand new! Thanks for the DIY guide
    Thanks SirRob94. Worked like a charm. A few minutes and I was back to normal.
    Mine broke, did the eraser hack for about 3 weeks, then got a free replacement.
    If you have trouble using rubber band trimmings, try electrical tape. I experimented for a while, this was the closest to a clicky button (abeit not as firm as new) I could get. 3 layers of nail clipping sized electrical stacked together.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Genius! Mine is completely fixed. 15 minutes with a screw driver and rubber band saved me hours going to and dealing with the Sprint store! Muchas gracias!

Quote Originally Posted by SirRob94 View Post
    I've had my Pre since launch and this was the first real problem that I have had... I pressed the Power Button the other day and it just stayed in. After reading some previous posts I was able to fix the issue.

Quick Solution....
    Turn Screen On
    Until you get around to fixing the problem you can turn the screen on by opening the slider. If the screen blanks while the slider is open, just press any key on the keyboard to turn it on.
    Turn Screen Off
    The obvious solution is that you can just let the screen turn itself off, but this wastes precious battery life. You can also download an app from the PreWare catalog named "ScreenOff". I put mine down in the Quick Launch Bar. It's sole function is to turn the screen off. The app then exits when the screen turns on.

DIY- Fixing the Problem
    - As another user noted the button is easy to take off. Get a small flathead screw driver and stick it under the battery side of the button and pry a little. Then go to the screen-side of the button on the left then right side and it pops right off. (Note: Be sure to get it just under the button. The goal is to pop the button off not pry the lid apart, so be gentle)
    - Look down in the hole where the button was and you will see a silver pad. That is the contact pad. You can test that it still works by pushing down on it with the end of a dull pencil. The pad should click when pressed and the screen should turn on. Pressing again should turn off the screen. If it doesn't then your problem is beyond the scope of this post.
    - Notice that the hole is in the shape of a "T". You need to find a rubber band that will fit the width of top part of the "T". Then cut it to match the length of the top part of the "T" and shove it in there. (Note that if the rubber band is too wide the button won't fit back on, so find one less wide.)
    - Pop the button back into place and you should be in business. The power button will then click when pressed down and spring up when released. Remember when replacing the button that the two little tabs go toward the screen and the large post goes towards the back (i.e. the Top of the "T").
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Its an easy fix...just pry off the button gently and put a tiny piece of rubber underneath the button to give it some spring and BOOM you're in business!

I used a small piece of balloon but you could just as easliy use a rubber band or similar improvisation.
    This worked brilliantly !
    I just had this happen about 2 days ago. im getting a new phone.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    i'm on a refurb... not sure they'd give me a new one since I got this 11 months into my original Pre (i had a usb door crack too, so I wanted a new one). I remembered someone mentioned a self fix.. woot, works great. If you lie the piece of rubber band on your thumb, and slice it in half w/ scissors, it's pretty doable.

Saves me the trouble of waiting 1hr for them to "fix" it.
    this is faulty hardware issue they should replace your phone at no charge unless they see obvious damage due to droping or abuse.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    this is faulty hardware issue they should replace your phone at no charge unless they see obvious damage due to droping or abuse.
    but will they still do that outside of warranty? Regardless, I would still have to go through them "fixing" it first. They did it twice before I got a replacement refurb last time.

It's not a serious enough issue to me like unstable hardware, assuming my self fix holds. If it doesn't, I'll make the effort to try.
    The rubber band worked great (so far). The opening for the button is sort of T-shaped. I cut a piece of rubber band with a razor blade so that it filled the longer part of the opening, and it was very very thin - I think I saw a comment along the lines of 2 index cards thick - so use a sharp knife or razor blade to cut it.
    Just fixed mine with the rubber band. The fingernail clippers worked great for cutting to size. My own suggestion - snip the rubber band so you have a cut end to work with, then trim the rubber thinner before you cut it to length. It's a lot easier to thin your rubber band when you have the longer piece to hold on to.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12