1.    #1  
    When MyTether WiFi networking is enabled, I'm finding that the WiFi speed of the Pre shows up as 802.11b 11Mbps rather than as 802.11g 54Mbps which is what Palm specifications say the Pre's WiFi speed is supposed to be. I determined that it was 11b by scanning with the free programs, Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and Metageek inSSIDer. Anyone have any insight into this as to whether the Palm specs are wrong or misleading and the Pre is actually 11b, or perhaps MyTether doesn't empower the full 54g, or the WiFi scanning programs aren't accurate, or what?
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Mickle View Post
    When MyTether WiFi networking is enabled, I'm finding that the WiFi speed of the Pre shows up as 802.11b 11Mbps rather than as 802.11g 54Mbps which is what Palm specifications say the Pre's WiFi speed is supposed to be. I determined that it was 11b by scanning with the free programs, Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and Metageek inSSIDer. Anyone have any insight into this as to whether the Palm specs are wrong or misleading and the Pre is actually 11b, or perhaps MyTether doesn't empower the full 54g, or the WiFi scanning programs aren't accurate, or what?
    Well your router has to be 802.11g for the phone to work at G speeds. Also, some older routers would default to a slower speed if anything on the router was slower. So even if it is a b/g ruter but you put a device on it that is only b then everything on that device will slow to b. Just some food for thought. Mine works really well but I have a b/g/n router and it can control all speeds at the same time.

EDIT: FYI, you may already know this but even if it connects at g speeds, you will never see 54mb.
  3.    #3  
    I guess I need to clarify (and maybe this part of the Pre forum isn't the right one for the subject, although I'm commenting on a basic feature of the Pre -- the WiFi speed):

MyTether can establish an ad hoc WiFi network which basically makes it it's own router. When that is enabled (I know many Pre users and probably most don't use MyTether), it seems to expose the fact that the Pre only has 802.11b capability. So when the Pre connects with a G or faster router, is it only at 11Mbps? Or is it at 54Mbps? It's possible that the 11 reading is only because of the ad hoc mode that MyTether puts it in, but it's also possible that the Pre doesn't go above 11. I don't know what the answer is.
    I guess I need to clarify (and maybe this part of the Pre forum isn't the right one for the subject, although I'm commenting on a basic feature of the Pre -- the WiFi speed):

MyTether can establish an ad hoc WiFi network which basically makes it it's own router. When that is enabled (I know many Pre users and probably most don't use MyTether), it seems to expose the fact that the Pre only has 802.11b capability. So when the Pre connects with a G or faster router, is it only at 11Mbps? Or is it at 54Mbps? It's possible that the 11 reading is only because of the ad hoc mode that MyTether puts it in, but it's also possible that the Pre doesn't go above 11. I don't know what the answer is.
    I think its a limitation of MyTether
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

I did answer your question, just maybe not as directly as you wanted. No, it is not just b speeds. Mine connects at g speeds. It sounds like a limitation in the MyTether as suggested above.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    EDIT: FYI, you may already know this but even if it connects at g speeds, you will never see 54mb.
    Right, the Mbps speeds are only theoretical maximums.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    I did answer your question, just maybe not as directly as you wanted. No, it is not just b speeds. Mine connects at g speeds. It sounds like a limitation in the MyTether as suggested above.
    That sounds good and that's the final answer I'd like to find, but how do you determine the connection speed of the router's client (the Pre)? So far, I haven't seen something to read that, only to read access point or ad hoc connection speeds. I've got two Linksys routers, and they don't tell me the speed of the clients' connections. But maybe I just haven't looked in the right place. And I'm sure there are other tools out there to do a better job of seeing client connection speeds.
    Right, the Mbps speeds are only theoretical maximums.
    Yeah don't expect to achieve that as your ISP is most likely bottlenecking you.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    On the pre, really whats the difference betwen 11mbs and 54mbs. Most high speed net connections cap out at about 6mbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDAustin View Post
    On the pre, really whats the difference betwen 11mbs and 54mbs. Most high speed net connections cap out at about 6mbs.
    i have 15 megs service at home.. an N router.. pre will go to about 49 on the lan if im close .. through put is max 14 megs when going outside lan
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Since my computer hooked directly to my cable connection barely gets about 20Mbs, I doubt the 11Mbs is bottle necking you. Unless you are streaming video I doubt it will ever be an issue.

Keep in mind even at EVDO speeds on MyTether you probably are getting about 1.5Mbs which is not even close to 11Mbs to be concerned about the Wifi being the bottleneck.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JDAustin View Post
    My connection has 1MBs upload, and 15Mbs download. It will burst to 18-20Mbs off peak.

Still, average speeds are much closer to the 11mbs and so the router isn't really the bottleneck.

To me the biggest reason to use a G router (or N) is range. I installed an N mostly for the added range, but oddly i feel like my G router was/is faster for real world use.
    Most wireless adapters operate at B speeds in ad-hoc mode. You can confirm this easily through Google.

Even if the Pre supports G in ad-hoc mode, your computer's wireless adapter would also have to support it, which isn't very likely.