Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    i know there have been other threads on this, but hopefully
    my experience will help some one else
    the speaker went out on my pre so i took it in
    they replaced it, and when the new pre was logged on all apps
    loaded fine but the 277 contacts didn't.
    after 3 hours in the store numerous reboots, switching back to old phone-
    which promptly erased all 277 contacts there (arh!) i left with a $75 dollar credit
    (for the inconvenience) and the expectation of a call back in 24 to 48 hours from a plam engineer.
    and numerous questions from employees (why didn't i back up to google also) really... i thought that was what the palm profile was for?
    the next day i went back because i didn't feel like waiting... after an hour we finally got through to a palm manager with the authority to access my profile...
    he said hope was gone no contacts at all to be found!
    turns out according to him... my phone was on 1.2.1 ,the replacement was on 1.1
    when you switch they have been losing contacts, the replacement should have been flashed to 1.2.1 first to prevent this!

what ever... i was hosed, lost all my customers numbers...
    the palm guy said he was sory the best he could do was offer a touchstone for my trouble... i'd rather have my numbers back...
    the store employee asked if there was anything he could do? they ended up throwing in a car charger.
    so...lost 277 contacts...gained $75+touchstone+car charger
    all in all the numbers were more important
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Well, at least you got the $75+Touchstone+car charger as opposed to a simple apology... that's really good considering the loss of contacts is intangible, and Sprint cannot replace them.

Most of the contacts will eventually make their way back to you, and those that don't... well, you probably could do without anyway. Any chance the phone you had prior to the Pre has your contacts in it?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    i do understand i could have ended up with nothing...don't get me wrong about that.
    that was part of why i wrote this.
    i was asked that by three different employees,
    i had given my instinct to the wife...she had switched it to her numbers
    really makes a hard copy in a drawer seem like a good idea
    Did you remove all your accounts and re-add them? I've lost contacts before, and this is all it takes to get them back.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    wow that sucks, i know i have all of my employees update the Pre's before selling or replacing through service and repair. Hopefully you have an older phone with at least some of the phone numbers.
    Were you saving your contacts on your palm profile? I love Palm, but don't really trust their backup yet. I've used both exchange (mail2web) and gmail for contacts and have had no issues. I like that I can actually see what I have backed up(on a computer) with those two options.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    apparently there is no access to the palm profile. if palm was set as primary when you transferred your numbers to your first pre then they remain there. if you set the primary to a google account you have access and could print a hard copy...which im am definitely doing from now on!
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyv69 View Post
    apparently there is no access to the palm profile. if palm was set as primary when you transferred your numbers to your first pre then they remain there. if you set the primary to a google account you have access and could print a hard copy...which im am definitely doing from now on!
    Yeah, the gmail contact sync is rad. You can add/delete contacts from the phone or the web and it sticks to both. Sorry you lost your contacts, but at least you learned of a better option going forward.
    Yep ... hard lesson ... I've been telling everyone who asks that the first thing they should do with their Pre is set up Google Contacts and make it their default. At least then you have options and can even make secondary backups ... Palm Profile is a dead end and no guarantees. It's too bad Palm (and Sprint) don't make that 1000% clear when you get the phone.
  10. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Same here. Well, I didn't change phones, but I used the doctor. Palm's backup was/is screwed up.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    My wife lost her calendar data during 1.2.0 and while there hasn't been a fix, both Sprint and Palm have been outstanding in trying to remedy the situation.

Once you get past the initial level of yahoos parading as CSRs on phone support, it actually goes smoothly.

I ended up getting a call from a lady at Sprint corporate who has the ear of people that can get things done. It's been my experience in life that these are the folks that truly do the heavy lifting and make their bosses look good. They deserve respect and that is the key to getting resolution.

Don't take any of these headaches personally. Don't make it personal to the employee with whom you're working. Be respectful, but clear on your expectations and what is acceptable to you.

In any case, I had techs at the corporate level at both Sprint and Palm trying to find a way to fix this. The fix doesn't exist because it took an auto-backup AFTER the damage had been done so it overwrote her calendar with one with no data before she'd realized it. There simply is no rolling a server back as it would impact tens if not hundreds of thousands of customers.

In the end, I was offered another TS kit from Sprint as well as Palm footing the bill for my purchase of Chapura ECHO so I can backup these personal files locally in the future.

Sprint has been outstanding in any major matter I've had over the past 10 years. The Palm folks really are trying to figure out where the problem lies. There's no excuse for it not working, particularly when it's touted as being this secured end-all to data management. But, I'll give them this....it's a Gen 1 system and hardware...and they ARE trying and putting the effort into it.

Never, during this process, did I deal with any bad attitudes or anyone that acted like they'd rather be somewhere else.

bj
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    use gmail=problem solve!!
    even if ur lose ur phone, palm profile dies, whatever having a second back up on google will always help..
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I applied a theme to my phone the other day, rebooted it, and it never booted all the way up. It was hosed so I used webOS Doctor to get it back up and running. I forgot my password so I had to use the security question to reset it. After that I logged in to my Palm Profile and it said there was no data to download (or something along those lines). I called Sprint who referred me to Palm. The person from Palm had no idea what to do, so I hung up in frustration.

I did a full erase on the phone and it rebooted. I logged into my Palm Profile again with my new password and it started pulling down data from my profile. I thought all was well. It wasn't...I only had 4 out of 250 contacts. Instead of spending hours on the phone with Palm and Sprint, I restored the contacts from Palm Desktop. I have added a few since then that I didn't get back, but it was better than nothing.

I would recommend taking some of these people's advice and backing up contacts to Google. That is if you get your contacts back.
    Last edited by chafedbm; 10/08/2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    ...or you could just copy your palmdatabase.db3 file to your hard drive.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Same thing happened to me I had 400+ contacts and like an ***** I never backed any of them up elsewhere... Needless to say two months later they call and say there gone forever and gave me a touchstone kit.

They say 1.2.1 fixed that whole mess so it wont happen to anyone else.

Time will tell....
    Open source is a beautiful thing
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Interesting. My original phone was on 1.2.1 and my replacement was on 1.1 and all my contacts were restored through my palm profile. I guess it must be hit and miss. I updated the replacement phone to 1.2.1 and all is still fine.
    Same thing happened to me. I got a replacement Pre because of a cracked screen and "poof" no contacts or e-mail settings on palm profile. Interestingly all of my downloaded apps (except homebrews) were restored. Luckily I had most of my contacts on google.

I like the concept of palm profile, but for me, I would much rather have hotsync back, or at least have the option of backing up the entire device on my pc. I can remember a number of times getting a new palm pilot or treo, then hotsyncing it and "voila" my device was identical with all data, wallpaper, preferences, pictures, videos, settings, et al.

ahhhh the good old days. I still love my pre, though.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    So, is there any simple way to move/migrate/copy palm profile contacts to gmail contacts?

Or how can I back up the palm profile contacts?

I ask because my wifes pre has the oreo problem so we're going to have to exchange it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyv69 View Post
    i had given my instinct to the wife...she had switched it to her numbers
    really makes a hard copy in a drawer seem like a good idea
    Actually it makes multiple backup copies of your contact data a good idea. Aside from your phone, you should have a copy of your contacts on your PC and that copy should be backed up regularly. I wouldn't just rely on Google.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JDAustin View Post
    So, is there any simple way to move/migrate/copy palm profile contacts to gmail contacts?

Or how can I back up the palm profile contacts?

I ask because my wifes pre has the oreo problem so we're going to have to exchange it.
    I would think as soon as you link your gmail account with your pre is should sync your contacts from your pre to your gmail account.

I know it worked the reverse for me all my contacts were already in gmail so when I linked the account all my contacts came over to the pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast