Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That's why I think they should have come up with their own desktop management solution... backup contacts, pictures, calendar and in future all your apps you want to load and unload at will.

I am seeing a lot of posts lately of losing all their data and losing pics that can't be replaced, etc.

And with the proper API, use it to sync iTunes if you want.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krassh View Post
    I would think as soon as you link your gmail account with your pre is should sync your contacts from your pre to your gmail account.

I know it worked the reverse for me all my contacts were already in gmail so when I linked the account all my contacts came over to the pre.
    How would I get the contacts save under the palm profile to the gmail profile though? (aside from doing them one by one).
    This was a problem way before 1.2. I got a replacement phone in early Sept. I had backed up pics and music, but not contacts and calendar. When they reset the replacement to pull palm profile info back, it was blank. They said give it a couple pf hours. No dice. After several hours on the phone with Sprint and Palm, they said an engineer would call. That was a month ago. The latest is I justh received a call back from a rep, not an engineer, saying there is nothing to extract on the server. I love my Pre, but this is bull****. I missed meetings and over 200 contacts that I have to find again. My Mac Time Machine keeps multiple backups, why didn't Palm do likewise? I am now using Google as default so I can't get screwed again.
    I lost my contacts after a replacement and it is elevated past level 3 support. 3 weeks later im still waiting for a call but have backed up my contacts with google.

I did manage to get an advance replacement with the 29.95 fee waived. This got me a newer pre (with the silver ball in front, much sturdier) but of course didnt fix the contacts. I will try for the free touchstone if they dont fix my contacts.
    If you ever get a replacement pre, you must make sure your palm profile has been confirmed before you swap them out. Back your stuff up on google just in case.
    Pretty much the same issue here. I move and wanted to get a local number. Not a big deal, only my family calls me (I'm and old dude). Sprint was fine, help me out got everything set. Servers were slow and the activation took a few hours. Then the fun began. With a Pre you have to do a hard reset to get the number changed. OK, thought everything was backed up on my Palm Profile. WRONG, Lost everything. After reading this thread, sound like it is time to set up gmail. My phone was at 1.2.0 so that may have been part of the issue.

Bottom line - Sprint was helpful and got me going. Yes, I was happy with my calls to Sprint. Guy name Joe in OK really helped me out. Palm in a word sucked. Could tell they were reading scripts and were no help.

I do computers for a living, (radios are my hobby) My guess is that the Palm Profile got confused when it saw the same ESN but a different phone number. Palm may have everything set up when you switch phones, a different ESN, but lose it when you have a different phone number.

On to gmail. Also going to look at some 3rd party apps to sync with Outlook.
    I am going to get a new Pre today. How do i make sure the new phone is up to date, or in line with my phone, before i do the backup and transfer?

Also, congrats on the freebies. I lost 380 contacts from Palm Pre #1 to #2 and I got nothing. Im on Palm Pre #3 now and think they should at least give me some free screen protectors because ive only been able to use each one for 30 days!
    Quote Originally Posted by JDAustin View Post
    How would I get the contacts save under the palm profile to the gmail profile though? (aside from doing them one by one).
    This is my question as well. Basically, I didn't have a Gmail account before I got the Pre (I set one up when I got home from the store), so there were no existing contacts the Gmail Contacts folder. Now, when I go to sync my contacts with Gmail, all it does is bring over new contacts that I've added since I got the Pre.

So, to repeat the question, is there a way to get my contacts on my Pre -- contacts that were migrated over when I bought the phone -- onto Gmail Contacts?

Regards,
    Adam
    Sony: NR70, NX80
    Palm: III, V, Vx, IIIc, m505, LifeDrive, Treo 700p, Palm Pre
    Android: HTC Evo 4G
    Sorry I was late to this party and I tried to help people with this exact same issue but apparently I should have posted my thread in the Palm Pre forum and not where it is supposed to go. Anyway, I feel like a Pre exchange veteran so the following is a helpful tip.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-contacts.html
    Quote Originally Posted by acraniotes View Post
    This is my question as well. Basically, I didn't have a Gmail account before I got the Pre (I set one up when I got home from the store), so there were no existing contacts the Gmail Contacts folder. Now, when I go to sync my contacts with Gmail, all it does is bring over new contacts that I've added since I got the Pre.

So, to repeat the question, is there a way to get my contacts on my Pre -- contacts that were migrated over when I bought the phone -- onto Gmail Contacts?

Regards,
    Adam
    To answer your question. Yes, there is a way but you must gain root access to your phone.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...acts-free.html
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12