Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So today I decided to test out just how long I could make my battery last while streaming radio from the internet 100% of the time my phone was on. The battery actually lasted shorter than I anticipated, about 3 and a half hours, but thats neither here nor there.

What really concerned me, was how hot the phone got during the final hour or so of battery life. Much warmer than any other phone I have ever used. Granted, it was working at a pretty high rate, but still this was suprising to me.

So my question: Is this normal for usage like this, and how healthy is it for the battery and the phone itself?
    keep doing doing this and post the results..
    I'd like to see see the results.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Next time get the battery monitering software and see exactly how hot it is...
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    I noticed that my phone was really hot the other day while charging in my car.. The cupholder the phone was in was cool to the touch but the phone itself was almost uncomfortable to hold.
    Quote Originally Posted by zna03 View Post
    Next time get the battery monitering software and see exactly how hot it is...
    I was going to suggest this. Homebrew has a battery monitoring app that tells you how much juice you loose per hour and the detailed page lists temp. You can enable a graph view also. You have to keep it open in a card the entire time. I wish the pre had a hide card option or minimize to launch bar where you could run a program in the background where it didn't hide the wallpaper.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    I was going to suggest this. Homebrew has a battery monitoring app that tells you how much juice you loose per hour and the detailed page lists temp. You can enable a graph view also. You have to keep it open in a card the entire time. I wish the pre had a hide card option or minimize to launch bar where you could run a program in the background where it didn't hide the wallpaper.
    I was going to download this app, but that is the reason I didnt.
    I have a launch pre and I didn't have heat problems until I bought the car charger. It was used with the touchstone and viola hot phone. I have since stopped using car charger with touchstone. Here is the funny thing though the touchstone would charge hot too until the past two weeks. Now when charging via touchstone no heat. Its actually cool when charging overnight. That never used to happen. I did get another matte back recently. Don't know if its that or leaving the charger by the window.
    the only time my phone has ever gotten what I considered unbearably hot was when I let my wife use it. She had GPS and Pandora both running in a weak signal area, and put the phone in its carrying case...holy crap! I could've fried an egg on it.
    I've seen as high as 46C in the battery monitor app while on the touchstone.

Throw out some temperatures.
  11.    #11  
    I wouldn't say the phone was unbearably hot by any means, it was however, definitley hotter than I would have ever expected.

Next time I will definitley use the battery monitoring app to get a real idea of just how hot it was getting.

Glad to see its a pretty normal occurance and not just a faulty batter/phone though. Still it doesn't seem healthy haha.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Not sure what streaming software you used but I use Pandora. I start streaming about 10 am since the radio station I listen to starts playing crap music about that time. I keep Pandora running for about 5 hours with occasional texting and email notifications and my battery is usually sitting at about 35%-40% by the time I get home. This is with wifi on but not connected, bluetooth on but not connected, full 5 bars for EVDO and screen off. I am sure I could go a couple more hours easily. The phone doesn't even get warm. I can't say how warm it would be on the last hour of battery since i have not gotten it down that far yet.

Forgot to mention this is also with GPS enabled. Speaking of GPS, when I run an app that uses GPS (Google maps, Sprint Nav) then the phone gets pretty warm.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I've been meaning to post a thread about temperature when running GPS. Whenever I use Sprint Nav while driving around (always plugged into a car charger because lol battery drain of GPS), the phone gets seriously hot. I will run Battery Monitor next time and post temperature, but I'm not convinced it's just the battery that's running hot, because the bottom of the back of the phone (where the radio circuitry is) is radiating the most heat, not the center. Still, it's almost uncomfortably hot to the touch, and might make the phone a good winter hand/pocket warmer if I lived somewhere with bitterly cold winters, but here in FL, it just leads to sweaty palms.
    "Anyone who quotes me in their signature is an *****." -- StormD
    I measure the temp of my phone today charging on TS while streaming radio and got a temp of 107F
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormD View Post
    I've been meaning to post a thread about temperature when running GPS. Whenever I use Sprint Nav while driving around (always plugged into a car charger because lol battery drain of GPS), the phone gets seriously hot. I will run Battery Monitor next time and post temperature, but I'm not convinced it's just the battery that's running hot, because the bottom of the back of the phone (where the radio circuitry is) is radiating the most heat, not the center. Still, it's almost uncomfortably hot to the touch, and might make the phone a good winter hand/pocket warmer if I lived somewhere with bitterly cold winters, but here in FL, it just leads to sweaty palms.
    I have yet to use a phone with GPS that didn't get super hot. The HTC Touch Pro was notorious for it and once GPS was working, the original HTC Touch got hot as well. I would not get overly concerned by it.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    I have yet to use a phone with GPS that didn't get super hot. The HTC Touch Pro was notorious for it and once GPS was working, the original HTC Touch got hot as well. I would not get overly concerned by it.
    Okay, this is my first phone with a GPS, so it's kind of a new experience, just making sure it's normal.
    "Anyone who quotes me in their signature is an *****." -- StormD
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Not sure what streaming software you used but I use Pandora. I start streaming about 10 am since the radio station I listen to starts playing crap music about that time. I keep Pandora running for about 5 hours with occasional texting and email notifications and my battery is usually sitting at about 35%-40% by the time I get home. This is with wifi on but not connected, bluetooth on but not connected, full 5 bars for EVDO and screen off. I am sure I could go a couple more hours easily. The phone doesn't even get warm. I can't say how warm it would be on the last hour of battery since i have not gotten it down that far yet.

Forgot to mention this is also with GPS enabled. Speaking of GPS, when I run an app that uses GPS (Google maps, Sprint Nav) then the phone gets pretty warm.
    I was actually streaming from the web (thesteamcenter.com), and I was doing it through 3g, with nothing else at all running.
    One thing I have noticed is that constant EV-DO will warm the phone up nice and quick. I don't mean web browsing, I mean something like streaming or downloading a large app over the cellular radio. I've never had the problem using WiFi.
    *necroing an old thread*

I just burned my hand! Was searching the forums for temperature and battery life. My 1.1.3 GSM Pre is currently on the USB charger. Using an IR Thermometer, I found a spot on the back of the phone with 52.7C / 126.86F. I think that is way to hot. Additionally, I really hope the 1.2.x patch will get us better battery life. I need to charge it two times a day, and with this ultra long charging times, it is taking ages. Put it on the wire 3 hours ago, battery was at 20% - now it is at 37%. That is really poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by hux View Post
    Put it on the wire 3 hours ago, battery was at 20% - now it is at 37%. That is really poor.
    Is that with a lot of apps running? That doesn't sound normal. What charger is it on?

Maybe that's normal... I can't say I've ever paid that close of attention to it while it charges, but I'm almost certain that 3 hours of charging would get me better than 17%.

/Kevin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast