Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I am mostly a lurker here, I don't own a Pre yet. I found this site doing a search on Pre/Verizon. I have been a Verizon customer my entire cell phone owning life. I decided I wanted to step into the smartphone realm for the first time. Had read some reviews about the Pre and figured that was what I wanted. So I started reading this forum almost everyday. Posted a few questions but mostly just read what people post about their Pre's.

One thing I have learned is VZW is not the end all be all. I have decided I am changing to Sprint. I had no idea how much VZW was limiting my choices and nickle and diming me. That I have learned from this Forum.

This forum is one of the most active I have ever seen. The threads fly and always have a bunch of replies. You guys are a heck of a bunch of dedicated people on this forum.

But to an outsider the other thing I have noticed is a huge amount of threads complaining about the Pre, or some bug or issue you are having. To an outsider reading this forum for a few days it would probably scare more people away from the Pre than attract them to it. Especially the non-techy people (such as myself)

I have tried to read between the lines, and I do kow more people on any forum will tell of their probelms than their happyness with any product a forum like this caters to. So I am still thinking I want to at least try a Pre. I will go to the Sprint store this weekend and make my decision.

But has anyone else noticed the huge amount of "problem" threads vs. the "I love it" threads here?

The upside to the problem threads is there are lots of people here that jump to assist people having problems but to read this as an outsider it is a but overwhelming to read thread after thread of "My Pre died, locked up, wont... do this or that"

I apologize if I am the only one who noticed this, and if I am, possibly I am wrong in my observation.

You guys that are happy and love your phone, maybe be a little more vocal, at least as far as posting goes.
    People tend to post and ask questions when there is an issue, they don't post to only say "I love this phone and I have no problems at all." To me, I have a few small problems with Pre, but I love this phone, very much! For the phone and the Sprint plan and service.
    Have you ever been on any other forums dedicated to a certain product? The bad experience posts always outweigh the good. The people who have a good experience usually don't feel the need to post how great their device/product/car/whatever is. It's just how forums are, if you're looking for help or having an issue, you're going to post about it.
    Well since this is a Pre specific forum so you will see lots of people complaining about problems. Some of the problems are a legit complaint of the platform and the phone while others might be from people that still are new to the phone and are looking for help. I would say the people here tend to be a little bit more "picky" about their devices which is the byproduct of being a "fan" of anything. Its like sports, fans of a team will spend as much or more time complaining about their favorite team as they do saying positive things. I guess its kind of a warped way of showing love.
    One thing to keep in mind is that this forum is full of people who try different things with their Pre. Many people on this forum will do things like rooting, patching, tweaking, etc. and these are things the average smartphone user may not do. So we are bound to have more issues than the average smartphone user. That is one of the best things about the Pre IMO, the fact that we can do so many different things that couldn't be done on some competitor phones.

By the way...I do love my Pre and think it is the best smartphone on the market presently. I switched from an iphone and have not looked back at all...
    OP, I'm not disagreeing with you about Verizon being the end all be all, but what factors besides the Pre is making you switch to Sprint. Obviously price is probably one of them but what else?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Add me to the happy campers list. I hope you get one for yourself soon. =)
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I would speculate that this is no different that any other forum in that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so any time people have any kind of a problem they just immediately post a "problem with my phone" thread rather than search first. In most of the "problem" posts I see, the first reply is often "use the search button", so it does tend to overrun the forum with "problems".

I completely agree though; this forum has been invaluable to me as well! People are incredibly responsive here which is fantastic, it's obvious there is a lot of push from the customer base for this platform which will hopefully continue to bring this thing out of the woodwork. I've only had a pre for about 1.5 months and I only know/have seen one other person with one.

Hopefully in the end this is the phone for you - there are plenty of great threads out there outlining the cost/benefit of the pre. As it's been said a thousand times none is perfect, but which fits you best.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Add me to the happy campers list. I hope you get one for yourself soon. =)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by macjazzy View Post

But to an outsider the other thing I have noticed is a huge amount of threads complaining about the Pre, or some bug or issue you are having. To an outsider reading this forum for a few days it would probably scare more people away from the Pre than attract them to it. Especially the non-techy people (such as myself)
    Excellent point and I agree. I'm a member of countless forums but even the most active usually don't have the amount of negative (often filled with misinformation) posts spread about the forums like this one. IMO, and many might disagree, it does more harm than good.

Now I totally understand that there aren't enough mods (and the ones that are here are probably doing what they think is best) to go around and there are specific threads for complaints but overall, the Pre is shed in a negative light here which should not be the case. Still it's about the best in terms of quality info (if you're willing to search and filter out the redundant, negative posts).

With that said, don't be afraid to try it out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Well there are a bunch of flame wars about one thing or another, some of these are minor issues, most get posted 10 times over the same problem that has already been solved. And the majority of the posts are just from people (myslef included sometimes) that dont take the time to search forums, research, ask a Sprint Rep etc for the MINOR problem they are having that is 99% user error/related.

I have a launch day Pre - no problems with it thus far. I have a fair value of technical knowledge, and have ventured out enough into modifying my Pre (just for fun, not because it has to be), but not truely hardcore into programming modifications myself. The guys here are the experts and have done a great job, BUT you can have a great experience just with the stock model Pre.

This phone is the most stable I have seen. It never locks up, is always ther when you need it, and does great things with combining technology within my lifestyle...cant even remember any other phone I had before this now as it seemed useless compared to the raw power I have in my hand now.

Trust me - the switch to Sprint and the Palm Pre will be the best decision ever made. It is by far the best phone on ANY carrier (Iphone probably a far second...bah), and Sprint is by far the fastest, most reliable network, best phones to choose from, CHEAPEST plans (Any Mobile to Mobile for FREE), and best CS (who cares what the article says about TMobile) I have ever seen. 8 years running here, and will stay with Sprint for quite a few more years.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I LOVE MY PRE!! I wont say I've not had any issues with my phone but its only been from me applying hacks and tweeks and then updates coming out. I have friends who have Blackberrys, iPhones, and other smart phones and I'd not trade my PRE for any of them. Yea, there are things that the pre should do, and in good time it will. Until then I'll still apply the hacks and tweeks and follow along on this forum. I'm even thinking about buying a netbook with linux just to learn more about it.

I'm also very happy to be a Sprint customer. I kept saying if Sprint would just add a circle of friends like Altell they would be the BEST out there... Then along comes the "Any mobile, Any time". So in my book, That makes SPRINT PRIM0!!!

Kudos to all the guys and girls of this forum for all the hard work and help they put out so we can have the best Pre out there. Thanks again everybody!!!

#1 inline on Pre Launch Day to get my pre!!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    To an outsider reading this forum for a few days it would probably scare more people away from the Pre than attract them to it.

You guys that are happy and love your phone, maybe be a little more vocal, at least as far as posting goes.
    I appreciate the time you spent to write that out so I apologize for being blunt here but... what a load of crap.

You are requesting we flood the board with feelgood stories? Why? To mask the issues that ACTUAL Pre owners are dealing with?

This isn't the Palm Showroom or a Pre Support Group. If someone has a good story then go tell it because there are people here who will pat them on the shoulder. But to say we should skew posts to favor Pre sales is silly. We are CONSUMERS not salesmen so we are SUPPOSED to be selfish and worry more about our individual issues rather than what's best for the big corporate teddy bear.

BTW. Day1 customer here and My Pre really is awesome...except for creaky chipping plastics, constant power drain, USB door broke off, daily reboots required, 3G dropoffs, inacurrate calendar and charging issues. All deemed by Palm/Sprint to be "normal" so I just have to live with it. So if Palm wants the appearance of more happy customers then improve the product or pay us.
    Last edited by Urkel; 10/08/2009 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Some of the cheerleading that goes on here raises unreasonable expectations. For example, some people are disappointed that there isn't a flood of great apps in the App Catalog. While I don't think anyone should have expected that, there are definitely people who said they expected to see hundreds of apps show up this week.
    Yap phone is great, but I am trully considering getting the HTC Hero on Sunday due to the lack of apps. Will probably return to the Pre once a version 2 of the phone is available since I assume that there will be more apps by then.
    I'm generally happy with my Pre and with Sprint. I have complaints just like everybody else, but the pros far outweigh the cons. I felt the early complaints about the keyboard being too small were overblown. It's small, but I can easily type faster on the Pre than on an iPhone. The short battery life is also a bit of a nonissue for me as well, since I'm almost always near a plug in or a USB outlet. Everything else falls pretty much into the personal preference range for me. Would I like to see more apps? Of course, and they're on the way. Would I like to get an "official" virtual keyboard? Sure, but the "unofficial" version serves my needs really well. Would I like to see video recording capabilities? Sure, but I'd probably never use it. So in summary, the phone pretty much does what I want it to do, and does it well.

Also, let me add that you've probably read a lot about hardware issues and people who are on their third, fourth or fifth phone, but you don't hear much from people without problems, so let me add my voice: I'm on my first phone. I haven't experienced the "oreo" problem that's hit so many others, and everything has worked as it should since day 1. Plus, my Sprint service in New York is worlds better than AT&T is for my iPhone-carrying friends. And finally, the "tweakability" of the Pre is truly astounding and shows off the exciting potential this phone has.
    Last edited by idletype; 10/08/2009 at 11:37 AM.
    Look, this is not the Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity show where we are just going to have people fawning all over each other about how great they (and others like them) are and how everyone else is so wrong and screwing everything up.

This forum is dedicated to helping people get the most out of their Pres. Are there problems? You bet, but I have not had a single question that I have asked go unanswered. I have seen very few issues not be able to be resolved. Those that can't be resolved are suggested as features for upcoming updates.

Most of us are not "*******" who just want to roll in the love that we share for the Pre. We know there are things to fix and want those fixed.

You will occasionally see the "I hate the Pre and I am dropping it for the xxx phone" and that will flare up a firestorm. But for the most part this forum is people who respect each other, we are here for a common goal -- to get the most our of Pre. I will also say that there are those on this forum who take that one step further and not only want the most out of their Pre, but they want you and I to get the most out of our Pre.

I love my Pre. There I said, I won't be anymore vocal than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyg417 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that this forum is full of people who try different things with their Pre. Many people on this forum will do things like rooting, patching, tweaking, etc. and these are things the average smartphone user may not do. So we are bound to have more issues than the average smartphone user. That is one of the best things about the Pre IMO, the fact that we can do so many different things that couldn't be done on some competitor phones.

By the way...I do love my Pre and think it is the best smartphone on the market presently. I switched from an iphone and have not looked back at all...
    Does your etc. include sniffing? Try it, it smells good!

Don't know why I put that. Guess I'm so happy with my Pre, I got goofy for a bit.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I love this phone, this is my first smart phone. It does everything I need and everything I want. Tons of cool apps would be great but I can wait, between official and homebrew there are plenty.

I have had my phone since launch and no hardware or software issues, but I don't need to shout it from the rooftops, I don't think most people do.

The nature of forums is people are coming to let everyone know something cool or complain/ask for help with issues. Your phone not breaking is what it's supposed to do, so doesn't really fall into either categories.

Otherwise you would see a bunch of "Nothing wrong with my phone" threads and really who would want that?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I couldn't have said it better Mikey. The people here are for a common goal, getting the most from their Pre, learning things they didn't know before and helping others. I think a "I love my Pre" forum would tend to be a bit "sorry threw up a bit in my mouth there" disgusting. I joined this forum 2 or 3 days after the Pre came out. Which on that day I bought 6 of them for myself and other co workers. This forum has taught me a lot more about my Pre then any other site. For that I give "ALL" you guys and gals that have participated Kudos!!

I am not a programmer, I tend to let others create and I use their creations. A lot of times when it is an app or a theme that I am madly in love with, I never have an issue tossing that person money for taking the time to create it.

Excuse the ongoing, but I thought it was time to say thank you to the people that participate in this forum and give the non programming people something to look forward to and enhance their own Pre by using those creations..

Oh BTW I do love my Pre

Orion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast