1.    #1  
    Hey guys.

I rooted my palm pre a few weeks back and it worked great, I dont know what I did with password for the root account. now I'm trying to apply some patches and I cant because it is asking me to be in the root account and I dont have the password.

Please someone tell me how to change the password.
    You will have to manually enter the root terminal via python script or your original method instead of SSH (which requires the password). When you read the prompt (root@castle:/) then enter "passwd <username>" and change your password.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    There is no password for the root account(at least on my phone). If you're trying to login via SSH, you need to login using the user you set up, as you cannot login as root through SSH. If you forgot your login/password info, you need to telnet in as if you were rooting your phone anew, and run the passwd command like so:

passwd <username>

Then you can set the password to something you don't forget.
  4.    #4  
    Guys, I tried them all but when I attempt to login with password it keeps telling me access denied.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    yeah i rooted mine the other day and got confused, because it first said, password bad and then i typed in a different password, and then it said password mismatch and it continued.

what i think happened is, that my first 4 digital password was weak and that's what it meant. and when it said retype it, instead of typing the same 4 digital password I put in an 8 digit character password, well...

the odd thing is i can't ssh with my user and either of those two passwords.

is there a way to setup a new user or reset that password
    Quote Originally Posted by hernandocm View Post
    Guys, I tried them all but when I attempt to login with password it keeps telling me access denied.
    Like I said, you can't login with root via SSH. When you login via telnet it doesn't ask for a password, use telnet on port 23. If you set up your user, and your password was too weak, you also won't be able to login, because it won't allow you to set a weak password(from my experience, it could have changed but I doubt it)

Quote Originally Posted by mikekey View Post
    yeah i rooted mine the other day and got confused, because it first said, password bad and then i typed in a different password, and then it said password mismatch and it continued.

what i think happened is, that my first 4 digital password was weak and that's what it meant. and when it said retype it, instead of typing the same 4 digital password I put in an 8 digit character password, well...

the odd thing is i can't ssh with my user and either of those two passwords.

is there a way to setup a new user or reset that password
    This applies to your post as well.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    do what you did before, install optware again and create an account you can remember.
    Did you try novaterm?
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    How do I alter the permissions for my userid so I can write to the usr app folders?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmackay View Post
    How do I alter the permissions for my userid so I can write to the usr app folders?
    mount -o remount, rw /

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.