Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I use my pre mainly for 3 things.

1) Music
    2) Phone
    3) Web

Yesterday after unplupgging my headphones, I received a phone call and could hear nothing from the earpiece. I tried making a phone call, and nothing. I tried to play music, and nothing.

After some research online, I found out that some have issues with thinking the headphones are plugged in when they aren't. I tried all the fixes and none worked. This morning, randomly it was back in the headphone mode. I can't get it to switch back.

My question is, when I go back to the sprint store and this phone is out of the 30 day return period... what's going to happen? Will they replace it with a brand new phone? I didn't buy insurance.

I'm not putting any more money out for this pre. I love os, but the phone itself is a giant turd. Throw in the syncing issues and I just won't buy another one so I'm hoping they replace it for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukin View Post
    I use my pre mainly for 3 things.

1) Music
    2) Phone
    3) Web

Yesterday after unplupgging my headphones, I received a phone call and could hear nothing from the earpiece. I tried making a phone call, and nothing. I tried to play music, and nothing.

After some research online, I found out that some have issues with thinking the headphones are plugged in when they aren't. I tried all the fixes and none worked. This morning, randomly it was back in the headphone mode. I can't get it to switch back.

My question is, when I go back to the sprint store and this phone is out of the 30 day return period... what's going to happen? Will they replace it with a brand new phone? I didn't buy insurance.

I'm not putting any more money out for this pre. I love os, but the phone itself is a giant turd. Throw in the syncing issues and I just won't buy another one so I'm hoping they replace it for free.
    Sadly, I am also experiencing a similar if not the same issue as you are. The only way I can hear anything while on a phone call is either using the speakerphone or a headset with mic. Also, since the start of your issue has your proximity senor stopped working as well? I know mine doesn't work anymore. I have OS 1.2.1. I didn't have this with 1.2. How about you?
    I experienced the same issue over the weekend, the phone's speaker just went out. Speakerphone, headphones and mic all worked fine though. I was still within the 30 days though, however palm has a 1-year warranty on the pre just contact them and let them know your issue and you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by NovaKing View Post
    I experienced the same issue over the weekend, the phone's speaker just went out. Speakerphone, headphones and mic all worked fine though. I was still within the 30 days though, however palm has a 1-year warranty on the pre just contact them and let them know your issue and you should be fine.
    I am hoping its merely a software issue seeing as I am experiencing with 1.2.1 but not when I had 1.2. I can get by with the headphone and mic and hope it gets fixed with 1.2.2/1.3
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I had a similar problem...blowing into the headphone jack worked (ostensibly dust buildup or something was confusing the phone into thinking headphones were in).

Your mileage may vary...
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    As of yesterday my earpiece speaker (speaker you hold to your ear when normally talking on the phone) will not work properly. I can only make and answer calls with the speakerphone on. I have tried the plugging/unplugging headphones trick suggested in another thread while listening to music and using the phone in various patterns. I do not see the headphone icon like some others claim to see. I guess for them the phone thinks the headphones are plugged in so the earpiece won't produce audio. What blows me away is I tried the Interactive Test ...

Launcher > Device Info > Scroll Down Press 'More Info' > Press 'Software' button >
    Press 'Preferences' > Press 'Interactive Tests' > Scroll to and Press 'Audio' > Check/Uncheck so only 'Phone' and 'Speakerphone' are checked ON > Press 'Start' follow instructions

What's great is the test works! It plays audio out of the earpiece. What sucks is it still doesn't work for phone calls!!! I try calling my voicemail and only hear anything with headphones plugged in or through the speakerphone. So it seems like a software bug, not a hardware problem. So after all that I used OS Doctor to get a fresh WebOS v1.2 installed and then upgraded to v1.2.1 and the earpiece speaker still tests fine but doesn't work when making a phone call. This is a fresh install with no hacks, tweaks, patches or homebrew apps on it. I really don't want to return this phone and loose the $30 I paid for the invisishield. Anybody in the same boat and found a real fix for this bug?
    Quote Originally Posted by swedub View Post
    As of yesterday my earpiece speaker (speaker you hold to your ear when normally talking on the phone) will not work properly. I can only make and answer calls with the speakerphone on. I have tried the plugging/unplugging headphones trick suggested in another thread while listening to music and using the phone in various patterns. I do not see the headphone icon like some others claim to see. I guess for them the phone thinks the headphones are plugged in so the earpiece won't produce audio. What blows me away is I tried the Interactive Test ...

Launcher > Device Info > Scroll Down Press 'More Info' > Press 'Software' button >
    Press 'Preferences' > Press 'Interactive Tests' > Scroll to and Press 'Audio' > Check/Uncheck so only 'Phone' and 'Speakerphone' are checked ON > Press 'Start' follow instructions

What's great is the test works! It plays audio out of the earpiece. What sucks is it still doesn't work for phone calls!!! I try calling my voicemail and only hear anything with headphones plugged in or through the speakerphone. So it seems like a software bug, not a hardware problem. So after all that I used OS Doctor to get a fresh WebOS v1.2 installed and then upgraded to v1.2.1 and the earpiece speaker still tests fine but doesn't work when making a phone call. This is a fresh install with no hacks, tweaks, patches or homebrew apps on it. I really don't want to return this phone and loose the $30 I paid for the invisishield. Anybody in the same boat and found a real fix for this bug?
    I am in the EXACT same boat as you. I have 1.2.1 and I can't hear anything while on a phone call unless I use a headphone mic or speakerphone. Thankfully its a software issue rather than a hardware issue. I'm guessing you didn't have this issue with 1.2?
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preuser2468 View Post
    I am in the EXACT same boat as you. I have 1.2.1 and I can't hear anything while on a phone call unless I use a headphone mic or speakerphone. Thankfully its a software issue rather than a hardware issue. I'm guessing you didn't have this issue with 1.2?
    I installed v1.2.1 the day it was released (October 3rd) but I only started experiencing this earpiece speaker problem yesterday. So I had v1.2.1 for at least 3 days without this problem.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    So I finally started to suspect the proximity sensor. The screen wouldn't black out like it usually does when I put the phone to my head. So in another thread they said to press your thumb over the top right of the screen during a call. I called my voicemail, pressed on the top right and the screen went black. While still pressing I put the phone to my head and heard audio out of the earpiece! I tried calling again without my finger on the screen and intentionally put the top right corner close to my face and it worked like it should. What I don't understand is why the audio only plays out of the earpiece with your face next to the phone. I think the audio should always play out of the earpiece unless you have headphones plugged in or you turn the speakerphone on.
    Last edited by swedub; 10/08/2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: typo
    Try putting headphones in and taking them out a couple of times. That's always worked for me. If that doesn't work, you should probably just take it back.
    I've had this issue a couple of times, both with OS 1.1 and now with 1.2.1... both times the issue was corrected by simply restarting the phone via Device Info > Reset Options > Restart. After the reboot everything worked normally.

The time between instances was at least a couple months. I don't know if this will work for everyone, but it seems a lot simpler than anything else.
    I got the same problem. It started last night. I called Sprint Repair and they are sending me a replacement. I think it's a hardware issue, but after reading this thread I'm having second thoughts.
  13.    #13  
    Following up to my op.

I took it into the Sprint store and they are replacing it. The new one should be in tomorrow.

As I stated in my first post, none of the fixes worked. I tried resetting, blowing, inserting/removing headphones, etc. This problem was new to me as of Wednesday... I updated to 1.2.1 on Saturday for those who are keeping reference.

Actually, to be more correct, the blowing thing worked once. Then I put my phone down in front of me and about 3 min later the phone lit up but had no notification. i thought that was weird and called voicemail and it was again in headphone mode but I hadn't put the headphones in.

Hopefully the next one won't have the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukin View Post
    Following up to my op.

I took it into the Sprint store and they are replacing it. The new one should be in tomorrow.

As I stated in my first post, none of the fixes worked. I tried resetting, blowing, inserting/removing headphones, etc. This problem was new to me as of Wednesday... I updated to 1.2.1 on Saturday for those who are keeping reference.

Actually, to be more correct, the blowing thing worked once. Then I put my phone down in front of me and about 3 min later the phone lit up but had no notification. i thought that was weird and called voicemail and it was again in headphone mode but I hadn't put the headphones in.

Hopefully the next one won't have the issue.
    Good luck. But I am holding to my original hunch that its surely an issue with 1.2.1. Something major like this doesn't just happen overnight seeing as it was working just fine prior to 1.2.1.
    I'm having the same issue... I upgraded to 1.2.1 a few days ago, and all of a sudden today I noticed that there is NO audio coming out of the earpiece... (funny enough I actually don't think I've made a call since 1.2.1, so I'm not sure if this started happening right away after the update or what...) anyhow - callers can hear me fine, but I can't hear anything at all out of the earpiece.

Tried blowing in the headphone hole, resetting the phone several different ways, inserting & removing headphones, etc... but NO sound from earpiece.

Not cool.

So an update to my last post... I've been messing with the phone, resetting it, etc and finally I just happened to lightly squeeze the upper right corner (near the on/off button) and the audio instantly kicked back in... that indicates a hardware problem to me.... so now what?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do I need to exchange? I've had it since launch so I'm well over the 30-day period with Sprint... would I have to send it back in to Palm and be out of a phone for awhile?
    Sounds like hardware. The audio jack is bad. This was a real problem on the old Palm Treos. The audio would start to cut out, or just one ear, and it would get fixed if you twist the chord or put pressure or pulled it in or out a few times. Those things would jiggle things back into place, but make it much worse long term.

You need to either get a new phone, or use bluetooth headphones (motorolla s9's are great). I used my bluetooth phones for a while, then tried my palm headset/phones last week, and notice I already had the issue.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    I had this twice with my 700p - it was hardware related. Strange...
    this happened with my 2.5 year old Treo 755p. I replaced it with the Pre hoping for a better phone. So far, no joy.

I miss my Treo.
    I've been having the same issue on my phone over the last two days. The mic and earpiece do not work. The only way I get sound out of the phone either during a call or while playing music is to plug in my headphones. I tried the interactive test and I did get audio through the earpiece and the mic recorded my voice. So on the surface it appears to be some type of software issue. I guess I'll have to go to the Sprint store and have someone look at it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast