1.    #1  
    I'm a lifelong Palm user. I started with the Pilot, currently have a Centro, and had virtually every Palm device in between. I also had a Pre back in June but I returned it because I couldn't live with the following limitations:

1) Inability to search email. I need to do this. I posted in another thread about the idea of using Versamail in Classic and using the old PalmOS search feature which truly was "universal." Can this be done? Are there other kludges?

2) Calendar. Too damn slow and lack of features, and like email, you can't search it. Looks pretty, but nowhere near as functional as any other smartphone I've seen, especially the PalmOS stuff, including PDA's from 1996.

3) My beloved PalmOS "Profiles" app that allowed me to turn off the ringing on the phone when I go to bed, and then automatically turn it back on just before I need to get up. It also does nifty things like allow me to set the phone to vibrate for 45 minutes while I'm in a meeting or 120 minutes of silence while I'm at the movies, and then returning to regular mode without any intervention. One of the most essential apps of all time once you're addicted to it.

4) I read a lot in bed and the Pre's browser would turn sideways on me when I would lie down. Sounds silly, I know, but this was a HUGE pain making web surfing in bed difficult or impossible.

So my Centro died last night and while I could just get another for $29, I'd love to get back into the Pre if there are any solutions to my big four above issues. I have others, like many of you do, but if there were solutions for these issues I'd buy the Pre again in a heartbeat.

Thoughts? Advice? And please, no flames, I've been on these boards for years...show your elders some respect, ok?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    I'm a lifelong Palm user. I started with the Pilot, currently have a Centro, and had virtually every Palm device in between. I also had a Pre back in June but I returned it because I couldn't live with the following limitations:

1) Inability to search email. I need to do this. I posted in another thread about the idea of using Versamail in Classic and using the old PalmOS search feature which truly was "universal." Can this be done? Are there other kludges?

2) Calendar. Too damn slow and lack of features, and like email, you can't search it. Looks pretty, but nowhere near as functional as any other smartphone I've seen, especially the PalmOS stuff, including PDA's from 1996.

3) My beloved PalmOS "Profiles" app that allowed me to turn off the ringing on the phone when I go to bed, and then automatically turn it back on just before I need to get up. It also does nifty things like allow me to set the phone to vibrate for 45 minutes while I'm in a meeting or 120 minutes of silence while I'm at the movies, and then returning to regular mode without any intervention. One of the most essential apps of all time once you're addicted to it.

4) I read a lot in bed and the Pre's browser would turn sideways on me when I would lie down. Sounds silly, I know, but this was a HUGE pain making web surfing in bed difficult or impossible.

So my Centro died last night and while I could just get another for $29, I'd love to get back into the Pre if there are any solutions to my big four above issues. I have others, like many of you do, but if there were solutions for these issues I'd buy the Pre again in a heartbeat.

Thoughts? Advice? And please, no flames, I've been on these boards for years...show your elders some respect, ok?!?
    Most of the things you mentioned have at least a partial fix or are probably close to realization. In either case you sound like you really love your Centro.....so just stick with your Centro? Don't fix what's not broken. No need to get disappointed again, but that's just my opinion.
    $29 is a good deal for a phone you like.
  4.    #4  
    I appreciate the responses, but what I'm looking for is info on whether there are any specific fixes for these limitations I experienced with the WebOS 1.0.x back in June. Are there replacement apps for Profiles? Does classic support Versamail and searching? Can you disable the functionality that rotates the browser from Landscape to Portrait? I know the Centro is a good phone, and I know that I said I like it, but my point of this thread is that I loved many things about the Pre and would like to move on to the next generation instead of being stuck in the 1990's with the POS. Thanks for any info!
    WebOS 1.2 has email searching. It's not universal but you can search from within the Email app.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Your worries are pretty much why I'm going back to my Centro. (I posted the long version in "General Pre Complaints.")

The browser is pretty. The phone system (buttons or touch pad) is slow to respond.

And the battery gets very warm with charging and use - for the 3 or 4 hours I can carry it in the hospital or some office buildings without charging -- even when not using it.

We'll see how things go in a few months.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I'd say wait and see. If you can get another Centro and wait for the fixes, apps and updates you want (which I don't think are out there yet) I'd tell you to do that and give the Pre some time to catch up, ironically, to a phone that's 3 years old.
    The calendar app has speed improvements.
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post

hi.
    1. WebOS 1.2 supports email search. It works pretty well too.

2. The calendar is much faster now. before it was useless, I can use it now and live the functinoalisty.

3 and 4 = not yet...but i really am hoping for hte profile app. and I agree with you about the bed reading, but it isn't a deal breaker for me yet.

nb