1.    #1  
    This is going to be long. I would like to start off by saying am part of the palm faithful. I have owned several palm devices since the handspring visor (currently have the pre & centro). Some points discussed in this post will be stuff already mentioned in previous post. The purpose of this post is to analyze how the Palm pre rollout could have been better and to provide solutions on how Palm can improve in the next couple of months. I hope other people reading this would see this as a fun exercise and provide insightful feedback and dialogue. For those of us that don't like to read any lengthy posts, I will provide you with a quick summary. In short the pre is not dead in the water. Palm needs to improve on communicating with their customers, make updates to basic functions before December (holiday sales) and get the paid app catalog fully functioning with useful apps that acutally have a purpose (coin flip..really??). For the most part I think they are already doing this but better communicating this info to the public will go a long way. For example the 1.2 update. Palm let rumors control the truth about the release date. If Palm would have issued a press release indicating when the update would be released and what would be included I believe most people would have been content with waiting. So here is my rant. Please excuse any misspelled words.

I believe that the pre-launch coverage of the pre was excellent. You couldn't have asked for more. All the reviews were glowing and demand was increasing. Quick side note, I still till this day wonder what version the critics/reviewers had with so many basic features missing from the pre (i.e. downloading images from browser, no copy/paste).

Instead of building on the buzz Palm decided to do a buzz kill by announcing a short supply. Now we saw this many times before with Iphone, PS2 & 3, Xbox, Wii etc etc. So that came off as a marketing gimmick. Even if it was true. Another mistake was announcing the Pre would be available on another carrier within 6months. Those people that would have switched decided to stay with their carrier until the 6 months was up.

A week or so before the release Sprint cuts the pre's legs by having that weird pricing strategy. Sprint $200 with mail rebate. Best Buy/Radio Shack $199 no rebates. I believe this lead to a lot of confusion in the market place. On launch day there were short supplies. Even though it was announced months in advance I think people were still taken aback.

Now with product in hand it became apparent this wasn't a Palm Treo with GPS/Wifi/Synergy/Universal search. I don't believe this to be the fault of the customer for the thinking the pre would have previous palm os functionality. In all the iphone killer / smartphone talk (again Palm letting rumors control the truth) Palm didn't effectively manage people's expectations. Most people thought the new changes in the pre were multi-tasking and cloud syncing. This is where research should have kicked in and we as the consumer would have found out that palm os was bought by Access (whoever that is). But even knowing that you would expect a little resemblance to previous palm devices.

Palm pre out of the box. The first thing I noticed was no real manual. When I bought my HTC touch a year ago the included book was huge almost a 1/2 inch thick. Granted I never read the manual but the fact it was there gave me comfort in case I got bogged down with a phone function. Now that I think about it the Treo 650 i had a similar lengthy manual. The Pre's manual doesn't compare to the manual that can be found on precentral / wiki.

I won't go much into the design of the pre but I will note a couple of exceptions. The back cover should have been the matte finish for the touchstone. The one that came out of the box was very slippery and a finger print magnet. Another issue was opening the phone (of all things). You had to have a game plan to open it. Any time you have to watch a youtube video or goto precentral to get a tip on opening a phone thats a huge problem. The other issue is the micro usb door and plastic underneath the usb. The plastic on mine of course broke. But this all leads me to the next pre flaw which is the touchstone.

IMHO the touchstone is a microcosm of whats wrong with the pre. The touchstone charger in and of itself is excellent. Built sturdy and works well. However no USB cord. Come 'on! I already paid $70 for this thing and no cord. You feel robbed when you release more money has to be spent. So now my $200 phone now requires an additional $8 purchase. Not much put still an unnecessary hassle cause now you have to wait a day to go to the store and buy and accessory to make another accessory work.

Another big issue is a lack of an intuitive way of doing basic fuctions. Some examples: Ignoring call by pressing the power button. Ignoring a call then responding by text. Why not have both functions appear on screen and you could just tap the options (ala the centro). Using the lock function and accidently pressing 911. Sliding the green dot up to answer calls which leads to missed calls compared to sliding opening the keypad. In browser landscape mode menu isn't viewable. No virtual keyboard in landscape mode. Not being able to empty trash from email. No desktop sync software option and now having to pay for it via third party. Full copy/paste. lack of options i.e launcher pages and wave. No ability to make sprint nav the default instead of google maps. No option to add pages to launcher. In universal search limited to using preinstalled shortcuts google/google maps/facebook/etc. No month view when creating/changing an event. No time reminder for tasks. No security on memos. I shouldn't have to register with google to make use of the pre's calendar/memo/task functions. No file manager to move files. I do realize some of these issues have been addressed with the recent 1.2 update. However several months went by with many people leaving the pre as a result.

The homebrew community is great but again this is third parties leading the charge with innovation on the pre. Palm should have took control early let the developers in and let them do their magic. Not everyone is comfortable tweaking their phones. Besides that gives the impression you have to be a tech background. Like a personal that builds a computer or writes a program. While cool that it can be done the vast majority wants it already available especially considering past devices by palm and other companies.

One area where Palm could have been prepared for months in advance is to establish a pre community based on a web forum. While it is great to have all these different voices on the net (ie. precentral) if I ran a company I would like to have some sort of control of info and a way of monitoring it. I know it sounds kinda creepy but in business I think thats what you need to succeed. Take for example...wait for it.. Apple. While some people think Apple is now like a microsoft you have to give credit where credit is due. If you bought any mac computer the browser points to you to apple.com. If your on the desktop and click help it takes you to apple help. You go to apple website and there is this robust forum with a nifty question and answer system. And a lot of active posters/users etc. Now compare that to the palm website. I've been on there several times but I would post a comment and it would be at the top for days. No replies or anything just sitting there unanswered and not noticed. Now imagine if Palm had the traffic flow of precentral users. I sometimes noticed 1000 ppl viewing. Having that kind of direct contact with costumers (future/present) is powerful. Yet it is underutilized with palm. One thing I would say about Palm is that on their website you will see Palm reps responding to post (as they did with mine). Unfortunately you will also see several snarky attitude replies from Palm reps criticizing the OP. LOL I've even seen stuff ridiculing precentral members from Palm reps. Go to the site for a couple of days you'll see. There needs to be better implementation in that aspect of customer service.

And as far as the whole apple / pre comparison Palm should stop. Apple is in a catergory of its own. No other company in the world makes software/computer hardware/phones. Apple has the perfect ecosystem that compliments all its devices. And everything syncs. Google can't do that and neither can microsoft. Apple knows its identity/niche. This is an area were Palm really dropped the ball. Palm doesn't know what it wants to be.
    To make matters worse their customers don't know what Palm wants to be. A PDA or an entertainment device. With all the basic functions stripped from the Palm and now are being gradually added via updates we can't say the pre is a PDA. Also, I still believe the whole apple itunes syncing issue is killing pre sales. I've heard people's argument that palm is getting press. I agree. And its called bad press. Its kind of like the press Terrell Owens / Lindsay Lohan / Brittany gets. This back and forth can't continue. Its confusing to everyone. Besides how can you sell a device on itunes sync when everyone knows it will be discontinued at anytime.

** Don't leave yet this is the end **

With all that said I don't think Palm is dead in the water. The solution I think is simple (and short) because the majority of smartphones perform the same function. Nowadays GPS/Wifi/Bluetooth/Camera/Camcorder/Syncing are standard features. First thing Palm needs to do is step up on communicating with their base and potential customers. Bring more paid apps that actually have a purpose in life. Palm needs to by the first week of decemeber (big holiday sales) to have on the pre docs2go / camcorder / some sort of file manager / ability to play more video/audio formats and a desktop sync solution for free. I know ppl say the cloud is the future. But as stated earlier not having the option of a desktop solution was a big issue for most people.

My hope here is that someone from Palm will take the time to read my post and any coments by precentral users and take the info to heart. I think the window is closing fast on the pre/webos. With iphone/blackberry/Android / HTC / Winmo its going to be a tough market. There seem to be two new smarthphones a week with HTC and android phones leading the way. This kind of reminds me of when sony tried to get back into the mp3 player game after dominating with the walkman for so many years. Personally with the announcement of a android phone with a keyboard on sprint I may have to make the switch. I'm already using google everything. Remember the talk about ecosystems. Google has it. Google maps, docs, Gmail, google voice, calendar etc why not use a google device. I'm still holding out hope though. Hopefully the pre will have at least an improved calendar/tasks/memo app, docs2go, camcorder and a financial app ready by december.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Dvigilante1; 10/08/2009 at 12:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    Thanks for reading.
    How many do you think will actually read all that?

Can you do a 1 paragraph summary? If not, I'll just say, Ok, sure.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    How many do you think will actually read all that?

Can you do a 1 paragraph summary? If not, I'll just say, Ok, sure.
    yeah i know right lol. I actually did the summary in the first paragraph so you wouldnt have to read all of it. It actually felt good writing it all out.
    I agree with pretty much all of this.

I'll say this: when I realized the Touchstone didn't come with its own USB charging cable, I found it to be quite tacky on Palm's part.

What can the Pre do that other phones can't? LOL.

Synergy and "multi-tasking" are not acceptable answers. The answer is NOTHING!

Love the Pre, lust for WebOOs, but getting annoyed with Palm. Why are we waiting for the most basic of features?

I really could care less about apps. After Facebook & Twitter, I find most of them useless. What kind of a moron needs an app to calculate a tip? Please.

Palm, please get moving on making the Pre usable. More video formats, visual voicemail, text forwarding, camcorder, FIX YOUR CRAPPY SOUND AND VIBRATE NOTIFICATIONS, text to landline is default in Universal Search... that's caused me enough embarrassment... And finally... That poor excuse for a calendar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    This is going to be long. I would like to start off by saying am part of the palm faithful. I have owned several palm devices since the handspring visor (currently have the pre & centro). Some points discussed in this post will be stuff already mentioned in previous post. The purpose of this post is to analyze how the Palm pre rollout could have been better and to provide solutions on how Palm can improve in the next couple of months. I hope other people reading this would see this as a fun exercise and provide insightful feedback and dialogue. For those of us that don't like to read any lengthy posts, I will provide you with a quick summary. In short the pre is not dead in the water. Palm needs to improve on communicating with their customers, make updates to basic functions before December (holiday sales) and get the paid app catalog fully functioning with useful apps that acutally have a purpose (coin flip..really??). For the most part I think they are already doing this but better communicating this info to the public will go a long way. For example the 1.2 update. Palm let rumors control the truth about the release date. If Palm would have issued a press release indicating when the update would be released and what would be included I believe most people would have been content with waiting. So here is my rant. Please excuse any misspelled words.

I believe that the pre-launch coverage of the pre was excellent. You couldn't have asked for more. All the reviews were glowing and demand was increasing. Quick side note, I still till this day wonder what version the critics/reviewers had with so many basic features missing from the pre (i.e. downloading images from browser, no copy/paste).

Instead of building on the buzz Palm decided to do a buzz kill by announcing a short supply. Now we saw this many times before with Iphone, PS2 & 3, Xbox, Wii etc etc. So that came off as a marketing gimmick. Even if it was true. Another mistake was announcing the Pre would be available on another carrier within 6months. Those people that would have switched decided to stay with their carrier until the 6 months was up.

A week or so before the release Sprint cuts the pre's legs by having that weird pricing strategy. Sprint $200 with mail rebate. Best Buy/Radio Shack $199 no rebates. I believe this lead to a lot of confusion in the market place. On launch day there were short supplies. Even though it was announced months in advance I think people were still taken aback.

Now with product in hand it became apparent this wasn't a Palm Treo with GPS/Wifi/Synergy/Universal search. I don't believe this to be the fault of the customer for the thinking the pre would have previous palm os functionality. In all the iphone killer / smartphone talk (again Palm letting rumors control the truth) Palm didn't effectively manage people's expectations. Most people thought the new changes in the pre were multi-tasking and cloud syncing. This is where research should have kicked in and we as the consumer would have found out that palm os was bought by Access (whoever that is). But even knowing that you would expect a little resemblance to previous palm devices.

Palm pre out of the box. The first thing I noticed was no real manual. When I bought my HTC touch a year ago the included book was huge almost a 1/2 inch thick. Granted I never read the manual but the fact it was there gave me comfort in case I got bogged down with a phone function. Now that I think about it the Treo 650 i had a similar lengthy manual. The Pre's manual doesn't compare to the manual that can be found on precentral / wiki.

I won't go much into the design of the pre but I will note a couple of exceptions. The back cover should have been the matte finish for the touchstone. The one that came out of the box was very slippery and a finger print magnet. Another issue was opening the phone (of all things). You had to have a game plan to open it. Any time you have to watch a youtube video or goto precentral to get a tip on opening a phone thats a huge problem. The other issue is the micro usb door and plastic underneath the usb. The plastic on mine of course broke. But this all leads me to the next pre flaw which is the touchstone.

IMHO the touchstone is a microcosm of whats wrong with the pre. The touchstone charger in and of itself is excellent. Built sturdy and works well. However no USB cord. Come 'on! I already paid $70 for this thing and no cord. You feel robbed when you release more money has to be spent. So now my $200 phone now requires an additional $8 purchase. Not much put still an unnecessary hassle cause now you have to wait a day to go to the store and buy and accessory to make another accessory work.

Another big issue is a lack of an intuitive way of doing basic fuctions. Some examples: Ignoring call by pressing the power button. Ignoring a call then responding by text. Why not have both functions appear on screen and you could just tap the options (ala the centro). Using the lock function and accidently pressing 911. Sliding the green dot up to answer calls which leads to missed calls compared to sliding opening the keypad. In browser landscape mode menu isn't viewable. No virtual keyboard in landscape mode. Not being able to empty trash from email. No desktop sync software option and now having to pay for it via third party. Full copy/paste. lack of options i.e launcher pages and wave. No ability to make sprint nav the default instead of google maps. No option to add pages to launcher. In universal search limited to using preinstalled shortcuts google/google maps/facebook/etc. No month view when creating/changing an event. No time reminder for tasks. No security on memos. I shouldn't have to register with google to make use of the pre's calendar/memo/task functions. No file manager to move files. I do realize some of these issues have been addressed with the recent 1.2 update. However several months went by with many people leaving the pre as a result.

The homebrew community is great but again this is third parties leading the charge with innovation on the pre. Palm should have took control early let the developers in and let them do their magic. Not everyone is comfortable tweaking their phones. Besides that gives the impression you have to be a tech background. Like a personal that builds a computer or writes a program. While cool that it can be done the vast majority wants it already available especially considering past devices by palm and other companies.

One area where Palm could have been prepared for months in advance is to establish a pre community based on a web forum. While it is great to have all these different voices on the net (ie. precentral) if I ran a company I would like to have some sort of control of info and a way of monitoring it. I know it sounds kinda creepy but in business I think thats what you need to succeed. Take for example...wait for it.. Apple. While some people think Apple is now like a microsoft you have to give credit where credit is due. If you bought any mac computer the browser points to you to apple.com. If your on the desktop and click help it takes you to apple help. You go to apple website and there is this robust forum with a nifty question and answer system. And a lot of active posters/users etc. Now compare that to the palm website. I've been on there several times but I would post a comment and it would be at the top for days. No replies or anything just sitting there unanswered and not noticed. Now imagine if Palm had the traffic flow of precentral users. I sometimes noticed 1000 ppl viewing. Having that kind of direct contact with costumers (future/present) is powerful. Yet it is underutilized with palm. One thing I would say about Palm is that on their website you will see Palm reps responding to post (as they did with mine). Unfortunately you will also see several snarky attitude replies from Palm reps criticizing the OP. LOL I've even seen stuff ridiculing precentral members from Palm reps. Go to the site for a couple of days you'll see. There needs to be better implementation in that aspect of customer service.

And as far as the whole apple / pre comparison Palm should stop. Apple is in a catergory of its own. No other company in the world makes software/computer hardware/phones. Apple has the perfect ecosystem that compliments all its devices. And everything syncs. Google can't do that and neither can microsoft. Apple knows its identity/niche. This is an area were Palm really dropped the ball. Palm doesn't know what it wants to be.
    To make matters worse their customers don't know what Palm wants to be. A PDA or an entertainment device. With all the basic functions stripped from the Palm and now are being gradually added via updates we can't say the pre is a PDA. Also, I still believe the whole apple itunes syncing issue is killing pre sales. I've heard people's argument that palm is getting press. I agree. And its called bad press. Its kind of like the press Terrell Owens / Lindsay Lohan / Brittany gets. This back and forth can't continue. Its confusing to everyone. Besides how can you sell a device on itunes sync when everyone knows it will be discontinued at anytime.

** Don't leave yet this is the end **

With all that said I don't think Palm is dead in the water. The solution I think is simple (and short) because the majority of smartphones perform the same function. Nowadays GPS/Wifi/Bluetooth/Camera/Camcorder/Syncing are standard features. First thing Palm needs to do is step up on communicating with their base and potential customers. Bring more paid apps that actually have a purpose in life. Palm needs to by the first week of decemeber (big holiday sales) to have on the pre docs2go / camcorder / some sort of file manager / ability to play more video/audio formats and a desktop sync solution for free. I know ppl say the cloud is the future. But as stated earlier not having the option of a desktop solution was a big issue for most people.

My hope here is that someone from Palm will take the time to read my post and any coments by precentral users and take the info to heart. I think the window is closing fast on the pre/webos. With iphone/blackberry/Android / HTC / Winmo its going to be a tough market. There seem to be two new smarthphones a week with HTC and android phones leading the way. This kind of reminds me of when sony tried to get back into the mp3 player game after dominating with the walkman for so many years. Personally with the announcement of a android phone with a keyboard on sprint I may have to make the switch. I'm already using google everything. Remember the talk about ecosystems. Google has it. Google maps, docs, Gmail, google voice, calendar etc why not use a google device. I'm still holding out hope though. Hopefully the pre will have at least an improved calendar/tasks/memo app, docs2go, camcorder and a financial app ready by december.

Thanks for reading.
    Here! here! I hope Palm read this and maybe somebody ought to send it to Palm,too. My phone is a Preeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Good, well thought out post. I disagree with a great deal of it, and think you have unrealistic expectations, but still, good post.

Palm was not, is not, and should not be responsible for damage controlling every rumor that comes out regarding the Pre. In particular, Palm did not (and does not) have to establish when updates like webOS 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 would be released, and it's unrealistic to hope that they would dispel rumored release dates. If you (or anyone else) got your hopes up for that, that's your problem, not Palm's.

Similarly, Palm did NOT announce that the Pre would be on another carrier in six months. Rather, Sprint noted that they had exclusivity, and did not disclose when exclusivity would end. Verizon made several bold statements about getting the Pre, and Sprint rebuffed them while keeping their exclusivity details private. Any idea of 6 month exclusivity were and are undue assumptions from people reading the back-and-forth. So if you or anyone want to assume, go ahead...but remember what happens when you do so. Again, not Palm's fault.

The pricing situation was not Palm's fault. Palm simply suggested the MSRP, and retailers went as they wanted. The reason why BB's rebate was upfront is because Best Buy simply has a "No MIR" policy (that Sprint does not). They've done this since 2006, btw, so anyone familiar with BB would have already been aware. Consumers should do their research.

While low supply has been popular with many products, I wouldn't be to hasty to say that it is ALWAYS a marketing ploy. Rather, I think Palm had a reduced capacity to produce. So, it didn't matter that they were months in advance.

With the development of a new operating system, obviously you have to account that things will be different. I hardly believe that new versions of *Windows* will offer the same functionality as old ones...so to expect a new OS, built out of whole cloth (and yes, we KNEW beforehand that WebOS was out of whole cloth and not simply an "update" to Palm OS), to provide the same functionality to a new device (Pre) as has been provided with an old one (Treo) also seems unrealistic. Again, you have unrealistic expectations and hopes regarding rumor control. Quite simply, companies do NOT have the responsibility to dispel rumors. This is true across the spectrum (esp. with Apple), so I'm not quite sure where you're getting the idea that companies should dispel rumors...

Quite simply, the market talked about what it wanted to talk. Palm did not orchestrate reviews and coverage, so it's strange that you would demand that they control and restrict certain messages. No, the market covered the way they did based on perception and momentum. Note that this free market process applies to apps too. Palm can't simply "bring more paid apps that actually have a purpose in life" because it doesn't orchestrate app production. Apps come from the market of willing developers. So, neither could Palm establish when Doc2Go would come out if they wanted.

I think a big deal here is...The Pre is a 1st generation product. People should know that it's not going to come with everything (look at the first generation iPhone...in terms of features AND price...yeah, the original purchasers had a few surprises). So, if you are not the early adopter type, you should not buy a first generation product! It's ok; everyone can't be an early adopter! There's no shame in not being that kind of person. It's like being a linux person...some people like to tinker. Others don't. One isn't superior to the other. I am ok with people leaving the Pre if they aren't early adopters...I'd rather they be happy with an Android device or an iPhone than unhappy with a Pre. On the other hand, Palm has done well to create a device that does appeal to the early adopter crowd, and now this crowd is coalescing with Palm to make the device more palatable for the general audience.

So I disagree with you regarding homebrew and 3rd parties taking control. This is not a bad thing. (Maybe I'm biased because I am a bit of a linux enthusiast). With Apple, you get the product Apple has always wanted. With the Pre, you get the product that you have always wanted -- as long as you are willing to roll up your sleeves and develop a program or tweak. So, for a first generation device in early adoption stage, I'm completely OK if people feel you have to have a tech background to get the best out of the Pre. That is what it means to be an early adopter. If you don't like it, great...just wait for v 2.0 and don't be an early adopter. Or go for any of the excellent devices with different design philosophies (Android, iPhone, whatever) that is not in the first generation iteration anymore.

You seem like you want the world of Palm regarding centralization. You want Palm to centrally control information, centrally host a forum, AND centrally control webOS features? Palm has limited resources. It cannot be Apple Lite. It will NOT be competitive being Apple Lite. It will sink. Abjectly.

If you recognize that the whole Apple/Palm comparison should stop, why do you continue to implicitly do it?

Personally, I think Palm is doing excellently. It has had extremely fair dealings with its homebrew and app catalog developer community (and THIS is the lifeblood. If you want a financial app...you want Palm to entice a great developer to consider the webOS platform). And Palm is not slouching either! We have had several updates that have substantive updates. Comparing with other product lifecycles, Palm is much more responsive than other companies on updating.
    ^^^+1^^^^ also these cheap useless apps like tipcal... those might be useless to you to download but not to all. and the homebrewer who made this app made it learning this new system... alot of them are simple and look useless but it would lead them to create another app and it would be better and more dynamic and palm will love it and it would be the #1 app in the world... all because this developer dicided to learn this new webos,made a tipcal and loved it.... thanks homebrewers and goodluck
    Apple knows its identity/niche. This is an area were Palm really dropped the ball. Palm doesn't know what it wants to be. To make matters worse their customers don't know what Palm wants to be. A PDA or an entertainment device. With all the basic functions stripped from the Palm and now are being gradually added via updates we can't say the pre is a PDA.
    Bingo. I agree 100%. As an entertainment phone, the Pre shows an amazing amount of potential. As a PDA, the Pre is almost useless. And coming from Palm, the company that refined and perfected the PDA concept that Apple fumbled (Newton), this is darn close to an unforgivable sin. I understand the arguments in defense of Palm -- this is a 1st gen device, webOS is a new OS, being an early adopter is risky, etc. These arguments all miss the point: the Pre is a Palm device, and with the Palm brand comes certain well-established expectations that Palm itself has nurtured and encouraged for nearly a decade and a half. Personally, I've become extremely disenchanted with the Pre. It's beginning to look like the only viable option for business users is either WinMo (yuck) or BB (yuck.) Palm no longer wants to make business-class devices. That's a shame, and Palm will be losing long-time, very loyal customers because of this change in strategy.