Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    My has been naked for 2 weeks(I just got the PRE) & yesterday it flopped out of my pocket & Bam! It hit the floor landed straight on the screen, ended up with 2 scratches on the screen & lots of rock inditations along the sides ****ed! Should have covered it...
    You need better pockets, I suppose.
    no 'Thanks'
    I've had it for 2 months now with no screen protection, I use an innocase only. I have no scratches on the screen at all. I am careful not to put keys in the same pocket as the Pre but other than that I don't go very crazy protecting my device. So far so good...
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    You need better pockets, I suppose.
    That's for sure....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    no screen protector just the pouch and common sense.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    I have the Skinomi screen shield and while there's a couple small bubbles, it beats accidentally dropping it face down onto an abrasive surface such as concrete. It's gonna happen sooner or later, even if you pocket it carefully.. It's the "un-pocketing" of it that gets you every time.
    Keep mine naked in my pocket...no scratches...
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    launch day here no skin still, all good i keep in a flea market case that goes on my belt ive even droped it a few times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrok View Post
    I have the Skinomi screen shield and while there's a couple small bubbles, it beats accidentally dropping it face down onto an abrasive surface such as concrete. It's gonna happen sooner or later, even if you pocket it carefully.. It's the "un-pocketing" of it that gets you every time.
    B.S. -- it's the tequila that gets me...
    no 'Thanks'
    Mine already has two scratches will they replace it for that?
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1KRUNCH View Post
    no
    Quote Originally Posted by 1KRUNCH View Post
    huh? if you pay the $100 deductible, you can have it replaced for whatever you want.

You will NEVER have it replaced for something you did to it, unless you use insurance.

well, I guess you could somehow con Sprint into swapping it--we hear the multitude of stories on all sorts of different forums of how people cheat the system.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    BTW if you don't have the TEP plan then you are DUMB.. A new phone is very expensive without a contract, unless you have the TEP for at least 12 months.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Had mine since July. Put a skin on it right away, got fed up within a week and removed it, been naked ever since. Mine has zero scratches. I use my shirt or the case to wipe of smudges. Sometimes a lightly damp cloth if it's really greasy (I'm Italian ).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrok View Post
    BTW if you don't have the TEP plan then you are DUMB.. A new phone is very expensive without a contract, unless you have the TEP for at least 12 months.
    I couldn't agree more.
    no 'Thanks'
    Skinless as a newborn. I've cut the umbilical from the pouch to the Pre and it has graduated just fine to an unfettered life in my pant and suit pockets. So far, its doing just fine. No scratches to speak of and it's survived a couple of drops none the worse for wear.

However, let me caution that however you choose to store your ebony nugget that you take care NOT TO SIT ON IT. No skin or guard will shield you precious Pre from the weight of your respective *****.
    Mine has been naked since I got it (about a month) except for a week spent in a lousy generic case. I have the Sprint hard case on the way but I have to say I like the look and feel of the phone naked so much better. I have two 1" or so scratches on my screen that you can only see if it's tilted the right way. It's never been dropped and only put in a clean empty pocket (rarely), in the Palm sleeve or a pouch. No idea where the scratch came from.

I do not have TEP. That's $168 for two years plus $100 if you need a replacement phone. I can find used phones out there already in that price range. I have five Pre's so TEP gets very expensive very fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer View Post
    I do not have TEP. That's $168 for two years plus $100 if you need a replacement phone. I can find used phones out there already in that price range. I have five Pre's so TEP gets very expensive very fast.
    Your logic is deniable.

Where can you find a Pre for $100, that's gauranteed to work? Even if your Pre failed after 12 months, that's $170. Where can you find one for that?

If I was worried about my money, I'd take it off after 12 months, but most likely I will be getting another phone around that timeframe anyhow, so why bother.
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Your logic is deniable.

Where can you find a Pre for $100, that's gauranteed to work? Even if your Pre failed after 12 months, that's $170. Where can you find one for that?

If I was worried about my money, I'd take it off after 12 months, but most likely I will be getting another phone around that timeframe anyhow, so why bother.
    and don't forget: the Pre costs what it does WITH a contract commitment. You break yours without insurance, and you won't necessarily get that nice low price on a replacement.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer View Post
    Your situation is unique in that you have 5 Pre's but you should at least get the TEP for the one you use the most. Think about it- you pay $7 a month for TEP, and after a month or two if you were to lose your phone or have it fall in a toilet or something (hey don't laugh- it happens a lot to cell phone users).. Where are you gonna find a Pre for under $200 in great shape?

And besides, I said to get the TEP for at least a year, not two years, which would only cost $84. A lot cheaper than a new one, out of pocket.
    I briefly tried out the included sleeping bag, but didn't like that it hid the screen. I don't think I ever did answer a phone call successfully while carrying it in that hideous orange thing! Since then, my Pre has ridden in my pocket "naked". After a bit over three months I had one minor scrape, perhaps 2/3 inch inch long, with a parallel scrape for a very short distance next to it. Didn't appreciably diminish my use, but I didn't like it. I have no idea how the scrape got there! After getting USB cracking I was lucky enough to get a new replacement Pre, and I am putting one of the removable plastic shields (generic ones you have to cut to size) on it at least temporarily. This actually is workable, though not very sexy. I'll consider a more substantial solution.

I actually chose not to get TEP. I've had a PDA for over ten years, and a smart phone for about four, and broken one in that time (at the time I was able to get a refurb Treo from Sprint for $39, what a deal!). I use my phones under fairly benign conditions, and would have paid out a lot of money in insurance over those ten years. After one year, I will be eligible for a new phone at the "new subscriber" price. So for me, the TEP isn't worth it. I am taking a risk for the first year of ownership (though over 1/4 of that has gone by now, knock on wood), but the worst that would happen is I'd have to reactivate my Treo 755p for awhile. I don't have a problem with someone who chooses to get the TEP, and am not saying it is a bad choice, just that for me it seems better to acknowledge that I am taking a risk, and save the insurance fees.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast