1.    #1  
    Back in June (got the Pre launch day), I dropped the little thing on the counter resulting in a small crack to the upper left corner of the plastic on the slider. It wasn't bad, but I didn't want it to spread or get snagged so I peeled it off so no pointy edges. All was well.

Fast forward to last week, the phone shut off several times when closing the slider (known issue). It had happened occasionally, but since it happened twice inn one day. I headed over to the Sprint Service Center. The young lady was nice and new about the issue and informed me I had "bad" battery and could replace it. She then carried on to say that, "Normally I would just swap the whole phone to be sure, but you have this chip over here so they won't let us do it." I said fine, she replaced the battery and I haven't had the shutting off issue.

My only concern is that if something does fail like the keyboard, headphone jack, speaker, etc., I will have to pay the $100 to get a new phone. Physical damage, ok. But the damage is clearly superficial (not to mention months old) and would have had nothing to do with whatever might fail.

The question is: Is there any sort of evaluation of a phone after claiming insurance or just a visual inspection and any fault voids the protection plan? The chip on my phone is smaller than the volume up button and the phone is flawless otherwise. No oreo-effect or dead pixel or what have you. I would consider it to be normal wear and tear on a cell phone, not physical damage. What do you think, and has anyone had to battle with Sprint over superficial "damage" versus calling it a nick or scratch?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If that ever happens, they will definitely challenge you - however you can just challenge them back. If it doesn't work at one Sprint store, just try another one and keep going until one store finally gives in.
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    I think you are confusing Palm's warranty with Sprint's protection plan.

If your Pre quits working due to a defect within the 1 year warranty, you deal directly with Palm. You would call Palm and they give you a claim number and you send your Pre in to their service center. They repair or replace it and send it back to you and you don't pay a dime other than shipping it to them. (They pay for shipping back to you) I had a 755p that the keyboard quit working within the 1 year warranty, It was pretty beat up and they sent out a new (refurb) one no questions asked.

If you need your Pre replaced because of physical damage, you would have to make a claim through the protection plan and pay the deductible.
    My experience with TEP is that they "default" to replacing it at the store with no deductable, unless there's water damage, or very obvious physical damage. I took a Centro in with a broken screen that I even said was probably my fault for carrying it in the same front pants pocket with my keyes. I had anticipated paying the $50 (the deductable was cheaper back then), but they replaced it with no deductable.
    Just today I took my Pre in because I dropped it and there's a chip (among others on the back) but most importantly, on the screen. So I just stopped by the Sprint repair shop to see what they could do/how much it would be with my protection plan, and the service rep said they could just replace it, most likely for free. (AWESOME) He said they'd just say it freezes up or something and went ahead and ordered a new phone for me. It'll be here in a few days.

So I'm thinking that it just depends on who you deal with at the service center...? is there a different one you can take it to?

Good luck Darth Mo. First time I dropped my Pre I almost cried. It's such a cool looking phone and I scratched it up. So glad it will be replaced. Hope things work for you.
    I got a brand new phone when I dropped and chipped my Pre on concrete while working on my car. I used a black magic marker to "paint" the chips and took it to the sprint store complaining about the dead pixels (i had multiple dead pixels but I didnt care to go to the sprint store).

Since I was under the 30 days they gave me a new one. Why didnt you go to the Sprint store in June?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ConeNubi701 View Post
    Since I was under the 30 days they gave me a new one. Why didnt you go to the Sprint store in June?
    Like I said, the phone functioned perfectly otherwise (minus the battery issue from a couple weeks ago, but that's fixed), so I saw no need to get it replaced. The damage is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the phone functioning at all.

Maybe I'll regret my non-action should something go bad on the phone and I have to pay the deductible to get it replaced. Oh well, live and learn.
    Any kind of physical damage whether related will mean the phone will probably be rejected for a free replacement. That is what the policy states. But it depends on which tech you talk to. Some are strictly policy oriented others are much more lenient about it. If it obviously isn't the cause they will overlook it. It depends on who you talk to. But know that the policy is physical damage goes through Asurion with a deductible.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    Any kind of physical damage whether related will mean the phone will probably be rejected for a free replacement. That is what the policy states. But it depends on which tech you talk to. Some are strictly policy oriented others are much more lenient about it. If it obviously isn't the cause they will overlook it. It depends on who you talk to. But know that the policy is physical damage goes through Asurion with a deductible.
    Fair enough. Any idea when "normal wear and tear" crosses over into "physical damage?"

I supposed that's left as a gray area on purpose. Seems fairly common for anyone who has a cell phone for more than a few weeks to have dropped it onto a hard surface at some point. So to me, a used phone is inevitably going to have "damage," be it ever so slight. Maybe the line is drawn between surface scratches and actual cracked plastic.
    Normal wear and tear is simply anything but physical abuse of the device, no chips cracks or scratches. if you come in to a store with a really scratched or beat up phone with touchscreen failure that will typically fall under physical damage and be replaced in store for $119 or $100 through Asurion. These phones are way more delicate then previous palm devices and really do not survive being dropped at all.

On another note: Physical damage basically over-rules any other issues on the device. If the device has any physical damage the fee comes into play for replacement.... Sprint is not allowed to open the device to determine if housing damage has caused exposure to liquids or any board damage. So They can only call what they see, especially if your phone comes in looking more like a hockey puck then a phone. But I would advise trying a corporate store and see if they will be more lienient with a second visit.