Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Can't be the LED light by itself - perhaps the associated monitoring circuits.

LED on for 1 second: 3.5 VDC x 10mA = .035 W , or .035 J/s.
    One second uses .035 Joules.

Battery of Pre: 1150mA-hr, 3.7VDC.
    3.7V x 1.15A x 3600 sec = 15,318 J of energy

1 LED flash: 0.0002285 % of battery capacity

In 12 hours, 6 hours of LED being on (50% duty cycle) uses ~ 5% of battery capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    Can't be the LED light by itself - perhaps the associated monitoring circuits.

LED on for 1 second: 3.5 VDC x 10mA = .035 W , or .035 J/s.
    One second uses .035 Joules.

Battery of Pre: 1150mA-hr, 3.7VDC.
    3.7V x 1.15A x 3600 sec = 15,318 J of energy

1 LED flash: 0.0002285 % of battery capacity

In 12 hours, 6 hours of LED being on (50% duty cycle) uses ~ 5% of battery capacity.
    Its more complicated than just the LED. There has to be a circuit controlling the blink, and I suspect they're doing that in software from the OMAP3. That means, in its current state, the OMAP3 is probably running at full-power to blink the LED and never going into a low-power or standby state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Its more complicated than just the LED.
    Uhmmm ... yes, if you read the first line of my post, it states that. The math is just the proof it can't be the LED by itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    Uhmmm ... yes, if you read the first line of my post, it states that. The math is just the proof it can't be the LED by itself.
    DER. I GO COLLEGE! ME READ!

Sorry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I did run a test last night (overnight) with interesting results. I put the Pre in airplane mode, and at midnight the new tasks caused the notification light to come on. I also ran the battery monitor to log the power drain, set to record every 30 minutes so as not to consume much power.

The Pre used 1/2% per hour while the notification light was blinking (or 1% every two hours). So it doesn't use much more than the LED consumes, at least in my case (calculation was 5% over 12 hrs, and this would be 6%).

No other cards were open - I shut everything else down to just test the light.

So if it's causing a power drain on a Pre, I'm not sure why - or what might be set up on another phone to cause this.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    After installing a bunch of tweaks I also had a noticibale change in battery life. it was drainingmuch faster. I don't know which one is responsible but I thought LED notification may have been partly to blame.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Same here. After purchasing the Pre a couple of weeks ago, it took a lot of effort to get to acceptable battery life. Thanks to all the tips on this forum I was able to get there.

Just did landscape email, virtual keyboard, & LED notification tweaks and the last two days my drain rate has been 7-12% with minimal usage...not good. I was running locations services on with no issues prior to the tweaks. Even after shutting location services off today, I'm still averaging well over 10% per hr.

Disabled virtual keyboard yesterday because it wasn't working quite right and this did not resolve the issue. Going to try LED disable tonight.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I've had the same battery drain problem after installing the latest round of tweaks and I don't think it's the blinking LED as I've had this for a while. Ironically, I believe it might be the battery % tweak that's the culprit (or possibly the date/time). I can't see why the date/time would matter, but the battery % seems like too much of a coincidence...I'm wondering if the code for this is actually querying the battery more frequently to determine status (or something...obviously I'm not an electrical engineer). I will try disablng the battery % tweak first, will report back.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I had a notification and the LED must have been lit up for about 5 minutes in my pocket. It drained 10% battery life. I turned it off. Haven't noticed problems with any other tweaks using an unusual amount of battery life though.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I had a notification and the LED must have been lit up for about 5 minutes in my pocket. It drained 10% battery life. I turned it off. Haven't noticed problems with any other tweaks using an unusual amount of battery life though.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I've been experiencing this as well.

Just wondering, how many of us that are complaining about battery drain have installed the "battery as %" patch?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I've installed about 20 or so tweaks, including the LED patch, and I haven't seen much of a difference in battery life.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have the battery as % patch, as well. Just removed it, so we'll see if that helps. Disabled the LED notification yesterday and still have 11-12% drain. I've also had my Pre power down three times since Saturday for no reason...
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    The reason why i was asking is that i'm thinking the "battery as %" patch is more psychological than an issue with the phone.

I think now because everyone sees their battery draining in 1% increments, it's giving the impression that the battery is draining faster, when in fact it's probably draining at the same rate it always has.
    Last edited by myculito; 10/12/2009 at 09:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Definetly not simply a perception issue. I don't have enough data to suggest that this is the solution, but removing the "battery as %" patch seems to have helped significantly. I'm back to 2-3% drain with comparable usage this evening.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    More info...battery temp has been running at 24C all evening tonight. Was at 32C most of the weekend with the tweaks running.
    I have many of the same patches installed as some of you have listed, the problem I have in finding "the one" that is killing my battery all of a sudden is that I installed so many of them at once. I did an emergency recovery and got rid of everything when I updated preware, then reinstalled pretty much the same patches I had before that were not affecting my battery life. I have had the LED patch on wor a couple weeks and never had any battery problems, so Im guessing its not that. I had the battery as percent patch since last week and didnt notice any difference. I have had for over a week with no issues 5x4, Virtual Keyboard, A/v attach, add date, capture w/volume, charge alert vib only, default to month view, add/delete pages, dialpad vibe, forewarding, hidden clock, landscape email, match state, multi mod, no alert during call, read delete email, sms tone per contact, timestamps fancy. I added new yesterday (different from what I had with previous preware)call duration in call log, extract pdt viewer, enable landscape pdf viewer, hide musicplayer app, hide nascar app, jump one word at a time, smiley faces in symbol box, camera sound toggle. I did notice the virtual keyboard seems a bit different than the old one so that may not be the same patch as the previous version I had. I will start removing some of my new patches and see if I can pin point what is going on. My battery was draining extremely fast today (very noticeable difference) with vey little use. I will report my findings.
    I didnt have a chance to trouble shoot my phone further due to a faulty speaker and subsequent replacement of my phone. I did load pretty much everything I had on my my old phone and dont seem to have the same issues with power drain.
    Well, just another account to rule out the LED. I don't have it installed, but my battery is draining very fast over the last couple of days.

I know this may not fit into this thread, but it has to do with battery performance and drain. I noticed a few days ago that my battery was very hot to the touch after it had been sitting on the counter for 15 minutes without me touching it. The culprit for this was the "delete all emails". I hit the button to "delete all emails" then set the phone down. The program does not funtion very well on my phone. Sometimes it deletes all of the emails, but this time it had deleted about 3 emails and looked like it was stuck. I have noticed this again while trying to use the function since then. Of course my battery was half eaten during this process because it was spinning its wheels non stop.

I do have the battery as % patch as well. I'll remove that and see if things change.
    I have had the % battery patch fpr weeks. My battery drain is fine. Im pretty sure its the LED message patch. I had a drain of 25% of my battery this morning due to not answering the blinking light while in a meeting. I took the LED patch off for now. Great patch and I love it! Though I need my phone for the day! I dont like to leave it on a charger so I will play with it later!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast