Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I honestly feel that pushing the Pre out as a competitor to the Iphone was a terrible mistake for Palm. I do LOVE the Pre so much more over the Iphone simply for the fact that it's more useable in my own life and with what I do, but I still feel that the Pre is not an "entertainment" based device. I feel that the Iphone is a great piece for doing things when you're bored or just having fun....more media based satisfaction if you will. The Pre comes from a company where every one of their previous products were aimed at productivity and usefulness with not a lot of "flare". I do feel the pre will outshine the Iphone eventually with its advanced OS and laptop-esque performance, but I really dislike how the phone was accepted by the general public due to how Palm decided to advertise. A good example is the majority of posts on this board complaining about the Pre, and how it doesn't do this compared to that. I understand the need to push a device of this level out to generate excitement, but wish they would have compared the phone to something other than a well established entertainment device. I feel that Palm will have the edge possibly a year from now at the rate things are going, but they pushed they had the edge a little to early in my opinion. Anyone have a different view point as to why Palm chose to market the way they did other than simply to generate funds quickly? Agree or disagree?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Advertising doesn't affect the way the Pre functions. It only affects the way Pre defenders react. So I could care less if they compare the Pre to the iPhone or to a $5 footlong because in the end it is what it is. A tool.
    Arstechnica said it best, the Pre is half iPhone half Blackberry. I think THAT is how it should have been advertised.....as well as having commercial's that don't actually suck. Which is also another thing....Palm marketing team said they wanted people to talk about the Pre even if they didn't really like it. Which is why I am wondering....why did they have to have some extremely bland and boring looking Commercial's for this? They could have achieved the same by having a 2 ninja's infiltrate a building killing a few guards and stealing the Pre then blowing up the building or some BS. It would have created the same W*T*F factor except with a better scenario.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Advertising doesn't affect the way the Pre functions. It only affects the way Pre defenders react. So I could care less if they compare the Pre to the iPhone or to a $5 footlong because in the end it is what it is. A tool.
    I agree with you there, but it does affect the type of individual that purchases the device and when something is pushed to go against an entertainment device and the entertainment value is still ramping up then toes get stepped on.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Who cares?

They can market it however they like. It's their product, after all, not yours.

I don't care if it isn't an iPhone. It doesn't really matter if it's better or worse than an iPhone. If I wanted an iPhone (and AT&T) I would have bought an iPhone (and AT&T).

Some of you people need to stop identifying yourselves so much with a freaking phone and the company that makes it, go outside and live a little bit.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    Who cares?

They can market it however they like. It's their product, after all, not yours.

I don't care if it isn't an iPhone. It doesn't really matter if it's better or worse than an iPhone. If I wanted an iPhone (and AT&T) I would have bought an iPhone (and AT&T).

Some of you people need to stop identifying yourselves so much with a freaking phone and the company that makes it, go outside and live a little bit.
    Did you read all the first post, or just assume what it was about and answered accordingly? What I do care about is the negativity the phone received (and is still getting) due to it being pushed as something it wasn't, and as far as the "go outside and live a little bit" I'm bored at work and getting paid to be on any board sounds better to me than surfing boards elsewhere while not getting paid.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I don't think it was Palm but all the reviewers and users try to compare to iPhone. Back in Jan when Jon announced Pre, he specifically pointed out that they did not want compete with iPhone directly. Sure they might be blowing smoke there, but I think thry know they can't take on iPhone directly. But the guy from the Palm invester firm did make some remarks like all iPhone renews would come to Pre. So Palm could be playing both sides.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CWhiteRun View Post
    Did you read all the first post, or just assume what it was about and answered accordingly? What I do care about is the negativity the phone received (and is still getting) due to it being pushed as something it wasn't, and as far as the "go outside and live a little bit" I'm bored at work and getting paid to be on any board sounds better to me than surfing boards elsewhere while not getting paid.
    Again, who cares if everyone in the press pans it?

People can be as negative as they want about it.

That's Palm's marketing problem to deal with.

They can market it as a wagon wheel for all I care. Doesn't change anything about the actual product itself.
    The media would have made it an iPhone competitor even if Plam said nothing about it.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    totally agree with last post, & I'll add that whenever the iPhone is talked about, the Pre is usually mentioned, especially on tech sites..
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    But it is a competitor to the iPhone. So is any device/OS that wants a significant part of that market share. Most people I know that own a Pre said the other phones they considered were an iPhone, an Android device, or a Blackberry. They almost ALWAYS mentioned the iPhone first and without hesitation. There is room for around 4 or 5 OS's in the market that webOS is targeting, and the iPhone is the current king of that hill.

You don't earn stripes by battling those at the bottom...
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    It doesn't matter, coz pre is much better than Iphone
    Where did they advertise this?
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Count me in as "Who Cares" I agree when a new smart phone comes out it has to face the litmus test that all will face the" Iphone" ... But again I say "Who cares" it's a Palm Pre maybe soon enough it will be the litmus test that other new phones are compared to..
    I'm interested in how Palm's marketing campaign goes because I want the device to be a success so that more apps will be developed to make my device more usable (okay, I admit we can do without fart apps), and because I'd like to be able to get an improved second-generation without having to shift and learn a whole new device and operating system. I admit to a little emotional involvement in their success also since I have owned a Palm of some sort for ten years now. It's not rational, but that's how I feel about it!

Upsides of iPhone comparison: As Laxidasical said, you don't earn stripes by fighting the boxers at the bottom of the list! And for any smart phone that is not strictly business, comparisons with the iPhone are inevitable. And even the stunt of synching with iTunes, which I am not wild about, helped Palm get their new phone some increased awareness which is a good thing for a company that has been somnambulating for three or four years (in other words FOREVER in smart phone terms).

Downsides of iPhone comparison: In some areas, the Pre clearly loses out to the iPhone--Particularly for those who may find a good music player critical to their appreciation of the phone. And if Palm ever has to admit defeat on the iTunes synch, it will look bad and may irritate people who bought the phone based on expecting that capability (I'm assuming there are such people, though I feel that would be an asinine reason, and I suspect most members of this forum would agree).
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Agree with the OP.
    Pre / WebOS is very promising but certainly has its teething troubles.

It is quite possible that Palm / Sprint would have received more positive press and an evaluation on their own merits by avoiding the constant comparison with iPhone.
    Did Palm market as an iPhone competitor, or did Sprint? The only direct comparisons that I can think of were on the Sprint side...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    The fact of the matter on marketing & advertising is that ANY talk is GOOD talk. The ads may have been lame, but people ARE talking about them -it generated curiosity, which generates interest, which generates sales.

They may not do it how you like, or how you think best, but it IS working!

Long live the freakin' Pre & the Palm wizards that brought it to us!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I don't think it was Palm but all the reviewers and users try to compare to iPhone. Back in Jan when Jon announced Pre, he specifically pointed out that they did not want compete with iPhone directly. Sure they might be blowing smoke there, but I think thry know they can't take on iPhone directly. But the guy from the Palm invester firm did make some remarks like all iPhone renews would come to Pre. So Palm could be playing both sides.
    You nailed it here. I don't recall Sprint or Palm making any comparisons to the iPhone aside from what was brought up in interviews. And even then they said, "Well, we're sort of trying to cut somewhere between RIM and Apple." All the iPhone comparisons came from the media/blogs.

[And incidentally, I personally think they did a fine job of setting up shop between the iPhone and BB, as they said they would. The OP is right. It's not an iPhone. It's also not a BB. It's something a little different. Again, all the other comparisons came from third parties.]
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    You nailed it here. I don't recall Sprint or Palm making any comparisons to the iPhone aside from what was brought up in interviews. And even then they said, "Well, we're sort of trying to cut somewhere between RIM and Apple." All the iPhone comparisons came from the media/blogs.

[And incidentally, I personally think they did a fine job of setting up shop between the iPhone and BB, as they said they would. The OP is right. It's not an iPhone. It's also not a BB. It's something a little different. Again, all the other comparisons came from third parties.]
    I'd agree with this, except I do remember Sprint putting out an ad with a Pre leaning against a mostly-devoured Apple. That was definitely drawing some comparisons, although it might have been more about the AT&T plans.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast