1.    #1  
    Okay folks, check this out... I'm not sure what this means EXCEPT that it proves some theories about the Pre processor scaling and the Pre's speed... so, a week or so ago, my Keyboard failed. I went to the store for an exchange and they were AWESOME about getting me a NEW phone (versus a refurb). Here's where it gets interesting:

We activated the new phone and allowed the phone to continue to sync and download all prior data, apps, etc. The new phone was running 1.1.0 out of the box, the old/defective unit was running 1.20. Even while sync'ing, both the tech/CSR and I noticed that the new Pre was DRAMATICALLY faster than the old pre. Even after multiple resets, the CSR and I were struggling to get the new Pre to stutter - under no circumstances, 4-5 cards open, web pages refreshing, sync'ing, etc., there was no animation stutter. The NEW Pre ran at blazing speeds.... For me, this confirms that the Pre has the capability to run EXTREMELY fast (even faster than the speed increases some have reported with 1.2.1). I do not exaggerate ONE bit - this new phone was smoking... and even after 45 minutes of hard use, battery was stable and no heat issues (so I believe it wasn't an overclock or error in processor control). Again, this behavior survived multiple resets....

Additionally, we compared this to both the old phone and the activated phones on the floor to confirm it was not our imagination - and, needless to say, it was not...

I told the CSR that I was now reluctant to upgrade to 1.2.0 because the speed was amazing on the 1.10 phone he handed me...From both our experiences with prior WinMo phones, there is a natura/normal variation in speed between even the same units, usually 2-3%, but nothing this dramatic...some lots of phones were just faster. Again, this phone was like a Quad-Core versus an old Pentium IV.... dramatic.

Alas, as feared, the 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 upgrades killed this speed....it is now exactly like the floor models and my old phone.

Conclusion: The phone, via software, is capable of some impressive speeds and through hacks/tweaks, we should be able to get a better handle on the scaling of the processor. Additionally, I believe that Palm has secretly been releasing slight variations to the WebOS firmware control files, etc., either during production or post production (during activation) as they have a database of phone numbers to devices, by network. They can control who gets what, as we have seen with the "leak" which was probably not so accidental. There are likely a lot of newbie, non-tech users who got that update without posting here because they didn't know it was "unusual."

Therefore, Jason R. and other genuis friends, let's find a way to tweak the processor scaling (ala WinMo phones) to further push the envelope and ensure we all void our warranties! LOL

PS: I now wish we had taken video of this behavior (as I'm sure I will get the usual you are FOS posts), but the store was too busy and my Pre... well, doesn't have this feature - LMAO.

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
    wow i was thinking i though i was crazy but ya it seems my pre got somewhat more stubborn and stuff after upgrade.
    I wish you had made a copy of your phone's filesystem before upgrading

we could have investigated the differences.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I did notice this same problem with my first phone and then to a replacement using 1.0 software. Though, I used instead of the update utility, the webosdoc from palm, and restored it to 1.2 and, well not a hitch out of the thing for 3 days now, it runs GREAT..Better than 1.0.

So I dono.. try it for yourself maybe?
    After theming my phone the other day and THEN reading about how it causes problems with tweaks and other crap, I ended up with EVERY icon in my launcher all on one page on top of each other in the top left corner. Meaning I had one unidentiable icon, but in reality it was every icon in the system all on top of each other. Couldn't fix it no matter what I tried. Did the WebOS Repair utility, etc. no go.

And here is where I tie this story into the topic of this thread, I used WebOS Docotor and flashed the Pre back to factory setup on Friday. And since I did that, I noticed that my Pre is noticeably more responsive in all areas. I don't know if the actual execution of the programs are any faster, but getting around in the WebOS interface is certainly quicker and smoother.

And with the Palm backup feature, it was a piece of cake to flash it back to "the beginning" and then have it reload 95% of my stuff that the Palm thingy had backed up for me. I then just had to put on a few other things and that was it. I don't think I lost anything! Being that it was that simple, it might be a solution for anyone having problems with their existing Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by eduel80 View Post
    I did notice this same problem with my first phone and then to a replacement using 1.0 software. Though, I used instead of the update utility, the webosdoc from palm, and restored it to 1.2 and, well not a hitch out of the thing for 3 days now, it runs GREAT..Better than 1.0.

So I dono.. try it for yourself maybe?
    I've been trying to find the 1.2.0 doctor, do you have it?
    I just received something about this issuse with why some pre's running 1.1 are faster then the ones running 1.2 the reason is some way all pre phones are linked together and the more people who use it at once when running the same webos ver. Can slow pre's down also pre's run on there own network,you could say, sprint has a part of the network for pre pones only because how networked and tied to the network the pre is.