Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Hey, i had a wonderfull working today. the palm pre arrived and i took some pictures for you. do americans also have the nice case?

have fun

ps. sorry for mr blurrycam. the autofocus of the samsung galaxy is not the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    excuse moi, missed one
    Quote Originally Posted by Azthel View Post
    do americans also have the nice case?
    Yep....

Looks like you had fun.
    Any idea if there's a setting for English on it? It'd be on the last page in regional settings.
    So, does the app catalog work on these demo devices?
    The app catalogue does work on the device that i tested out in the o2 shop. But i found just free apps.
    Hi there,

Happened that I live in Germany, which is cool considering that Pre lounches here in a week. And seems Germany is the only country so far, where you can buy Pre simlock-free and basically w/o contract. I think I can live with QWERTZ keyboard, but I really can't imagine runing the thing in German language. Question to those, who are close to running units - is there a possibility to change the language of user interface?

Palm support does not know. O2 support does not know. Forum is the last chance I'd like to order it online, but I don't want to end up with German-only UI.

Pegass
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Any idea if there's a setting for English on it? It'd be on the last page in regional settings.
    My thought exactly. If the language is changeable to English and no-sim lock means that I can use it in Holland with my Dutch SIM for local tarifs, I may wanna live with the QWETZ keyboard. Is the Z & Y switch the only difference, or does it also give some different operation like accented letters?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I've found a few articles and comments confirming that the German Pre will be simlock-free, but no confirmation in the form of specs or a statement from either Palm or O2 Germany.

Kannst Du bitte bestaetigen, ob es mit oder ohne Simlock waere?!
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    I've found a few and comments confirming that the German Pre will be simlock-free, but no confirmation in the form of specs or a statement from either Palm or O2 Germany.

Kannst Du bitte bestaetigen, ob es mit oder ohne Simlock waere?!
    www(dot)o2online(dot)de/nw/handys/o2myhandy/o2-my-handy(dot)html

(sorry cant paste links yet, so you have to copy/paste it and replace (dot) with, well dot ;-))

and in a nutshell: "Alle Geräte ohne SIM-Lock
    Das heißt, alle angebotenen Handys funktionieren auch mit SIM-Karten anderer Mobilfunkanbieter."

Pegass
    Quote Originally Posted by pegass View Post
    - I think I can live with QWERTZ keyboard, but I really can't imagine runing the thing in German language. Question to those, who are close to running units - is there a possibility to change the language of user interface?

Pegass
    I watched TheUnwired's video preview of the software in the GSM Pre. The Regional settings page is seen on that video around the 17 minute mark. Language choices are German, English, Spanish, French and Italian. Also there's an option called Formats with a wide selection of countries. Any ideas if this includes the different accented letters or does it only mean measurement units, currencies and so forth?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Has anybody checked the webOS version on the demo GSM handsets? I know we're not getting 1.2.1 at launch, but is it definitely 1.1.3?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    www(dot)o2online(dot)de/nw/handys/o2myhandy/o2-my-handy(dot)html

(sorry cant paste links yet, so you have to copy/paste it and replace (dot) with, well dot ;-))

and in a nutshell: "Alle Geräte ohne SIM-Lock
    Das heißt, alle angebotenen Handys funktionieren auch mit SIM-Karten anderer Mobilfunkanbieter."

Pegass
    Thanks! The key word is unfortunately "angebotenen" (offered). "My O2 Handy" is a type of formula offered without a contract using phones without a simlock. The question is, will the Palm Pre be available with this formula?

If you click on "Alle Handys mit Tarif" you see there are 65 phones proposed, whereas "All Handys ohne Tarif (My O2 Handy)" you will find only 61, so some phones must be excluded. I didn't compare the lists to see what exactly was there though...maybe they slid in a 3G USB stick for all I know.

I did go back and re-read the O2 press release in German and English from September 24, but I can't find any mention of sim-locking or not.

Edit: Ok, I went back and checked; if you filter for touchscreen Handys, you get exactly the same 16 in each. I also looked at the phones for prepaid formulas; there's only a three there. And it should be noted that the Palm Pre is in a group by itself.
    Last edited by Goyena; 10/08/2009 at 04:44 AM.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post

I did go back and re-read the O2 press release in German and English from September 24, but I can't find any mention of sim-locking or not.
    Go to O2 site, go to HANDYS tab, go to PALM PRE tab and there you go: "Preis ohne Tarif (O2 My HAndy) 20EUR mtl.

Pegass
    Thought that might be the case until WebOS updates to version 1.2.1
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    the palm pre will definitely be without sim nor netlock.
    Have i understood the ad on the German O2 link correctly, "first 50 preorders get a free Touchstone"? Not bad.
    Last edited by beez276; 10/08/2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Found the items price
    What city are you in? Currently in Münich and would love to check one out if I can...
    Demodevice in Shop:

- sadly the WebOS demo popped up all the time in the background. seems more often if the pre reached the touchstone *wired* and was bad for the overall performance

-english language is possible
    -webos 1.1.2 installed on demo device (no way to update, says 'all is up to date') - could change till release date 13. oct.
    - appcatalog is beta with only free apps, also some of the former homebrew apps that made it to the real appcat. - it works and i could install free apps like
    -fandango, that after install told me it is not supported in my country
    -linkedin
    -accuweather (that found my city at once)
    Last edited by gizmo21; 10/08/2009 at 09:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pjim View Post
    Also there's an option called Formats with a wide selection of countries. Any ideas if this includes the different accented letters or does it only mean measurement units, currencies and so forth?
    If I remember correctly, no matter which country format you use you always have all the different accented letters available. For instance by pressing orange+u (or was it symbols+u ?) you will get all the variations of accented us offered in a list in the foreground, not only the typical german ones. You choose the one to use on the touchscreen.

Go to O2 site, go to HANDYS tab, go to PALM PRE tab and there you go: "Preis ohne Tarif (O2 My HAndy) 20EUR mtl.
    o2 My Handy is a programm to buy cellphones without contract to o2s mobile network. You can either pay the device in one (481€ that is for the Palm Pre) or you can choose to pay with a payment plan over 24 months (24x20€ +1€ that you pay right in the shop). The payment plan is only available for german customers though I guess.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast