Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks Hux - manually adding settings could be a problem but another forum member from Aust seems to be using the CDMA version ok (no phone functionality however) as the Telstra settings came up - so it may be a simcard thing.
    spud I think you need to ask that question to those guys that actually hack the Pre. I mean those U.S. users who actually know more stuff than we do by now. You cannot chose from a list of providers, you just put your SIM card in and the Pre picks the right provider automatically. So no clue where I could find such a list without hacking.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Thx Hux!

I'm aware of that, my plea was indeed to the developers. They should get their hands on a GSM Pre (or a GSM firmware though webos doctor) and dive into to discover and list all supported providers.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitetower View Post
    Great!! Did you buy it off eBay Germany? and if so which seller?I'm from Australia and very keen on getting my hands on one?
    yes actually i was going back and forth between ebay.de and ebay.com (where i go to advanced search and choose "show only items located in germany"
    the seller name is alterfone1 , i sent him the money 16 hours ago through paypal he said that its not cleared yet so he didnt ship it yet, i hope he is not a fraud he has a record 71 transactions and 100% positive feedback.
    Do You think there would be a way to have the higher US-Firmware versions installed and running on the German Pre or is the only way to wait for the provider?
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Please oh please is there anybody that can list which European service providers ARE supported by the German Pre. In my case: is KPN one of them? I want a Pre so badly, but only when I'm certain I can use it over KPN's 3G network for data as well.
    o2 Germany
    T-Mobile Germany
    Vodafone Germany
    E-Plus Germany

That's no guess but official information (I work for o2).

There are rumors that with 1.3 you will be able to manually set your service providers settings. That's unofficial though! I think I rather picked that up on this forum than at work.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Thx DocJones. Is that ALL profiles there is, or just the profiles for German providers. Because I'm much more interested in the Dutch providers that are supported, obviously
    There are only the 4 german provider settings implemented in 1.1.2 / 1.1.3. None of foreign providers atm. I will try to find out if the rumors saying that 1.3 will offer manually setting up new ones are correct.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Or have indeed developers (webos internals) come up with a way to change these settings.
    Finding a way to upload a carrier profile would be best!

o2 Germany and Palm have done a lousy job properly communicating what their unlocked device allows for in terms of SIM compatibility. Nowhere do they state that a GSM pre will not work with a non-German SIM, and even the sales people stated with certainty that it will work with any SIM card.

I am stuck with a Swisscom SIM card and therefore no Data connection (although the phone otherwise works just fine).

The German Palm support site states something about being able to update network profiles etc. ("Aktualisieren Sie die Netzwerkeinstellungen. öffnen Sie Telefon , öffnen Sie das Anwendungsmenü, und tippen Sie auf Einstellungen.
    Tippen Sie anschließend auf Netzwerkeinstellungen aktualisieren")

To be found on the Palm.de website - search for "Palm Pre O2 - Herstellen einer Datenverbindung mithilfe des Mobilfunknetzes Ihres Mobilfunkanbieters nicht möglich" (sorry - but I cannot post links yet).

However, this option does not appear in the settings menu!

Any help by developers out there for a patch would be greatly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Does the Pre have to be activated like the iPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by snpg View Post
    nope
    Quote Originally Posted by snpg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    nope
    I don't exactly know what you have to do on the iphone, but with the Pre you HAVE to agree the Terms of Use by Palm and you have to create a Palm Profile on the Palm server which is done by an intitial short message and you have to provide a valid mailadress. Well that's sound for me like an activation.:

btw. that's the original Palm text of the german palmsite: "E-Mail, Mobiltelefonnummer und zugehörige Informationen werden zur Einrichtung und Aktivierung benötigt."
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    with the Pre you HAVE to agree the Terms of Use by Palm and you have to create a Palm Profile on the Palm server which is done by an intitial short message and you have to provide a valid mailadress. Well that's sound for me like an activation.:
    Can that ^ only be done with an O2 SIM card in the Pre?

Or can that be done without a SIM in the Pre at all?

Or can it be done with ANY (e.g. T-Mobile, Vodafone, Orange) SIM card in the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post

Or can it be done with ANY (e.g. T-Mobile, Vodafone, Orange) SIM card in the Pre?
    You have to have a SIM card, I'm afraid. When I plugged mine in first, I didn't put the SIM in and all the Pre displayed was an animation of how to install the SIM card. Also, the Pres sold by O2 in the UK & Ireland are locked for now. Once the exclusivity period ends, then they'll unlock them (in Ireland anyway).
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobius42 View Post
    You have to have a SIM card, I'm afraid. When I plugged mine in first, I didn't put the SIM in and all the Pre displayed was an animation of how to install the SIM card. Also, the Pres sold by O2 in the UK & Ireland are locked for now. Once the exclusivity period ends, then they'll unlock them (in Ireland anyway).
    Thanks for the reply. So how about this:

- Buy a Pre
    - Insert an O2 SIM card (i.e. take it out of a friends iPhone 3GS)
    - Swtich on Pre and agree to Ts&Cs
    - Activate/create Palm Profile
    - Remove friends borrowed SIM card and hand it back
    - Insert our own SIM card (T-Mob, Voda, Orange)
    - Use phone as per normal and use WiFi where possible

You think that would work? Or am I missing the point? i.e. is something else 'locked' and can't be overcome unless you are on an O2 Pre contract?

EDIT: ^ that assumption/idea is based upon post #21 here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...se-wifi-2.html

Well in germany it works with every sim that is "known" by the device. my buddy activated it with a t-mobile sim. You need to have a sim that can send a foreign country sms (it's said that it goes to palm UK) and it needs to have dataservice enabled.

Here is the official FAQ of o2 germany
    o2online - Palm® Pre

Google Übersetzer

In general with a device from O2 germany you can use ALL functions with every major german service provider, also many foreign providers should work (but is not guaranteed by O2)
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    I don't exactly know what you have to do on the iphone, but with the Pre you HAVE to agree the Terms of Use by Palm and you have to create a Palm Profile on the Palm server which is done by an intitial short message and you have to provide a valid mailadress. Well that's sound for me like an activation.:

btw. that's the original Palm text of the german palmsite: "E-Mail, Mobiltelefonnummer und zugehörige Informationen werden zur Einrichtung und Aktivierung benötigt."
    what i meant was that you don't need to do anything to it to insert non-o2 sim cards. but yes, there is this whole activation ceremony with palm
    Thanks for the reply. So how about this:

- Buy a Pre
    - Insert an O2 SIM card (i.e. take it out of a friends iPhone 3GS)
    - Swtich on Pre and agree to Ts&Cs
    - Activate/create Palm Profile
    - Remove friends borrowed SIM card and hand it back
    - Insert our own SIM card (T-Mob, Voda, Orange)
    - Use phone as per normal and use WiFi where possible

You think that would work? Or am I missing the point? i.e. is something else 'locked' and can't be overcome unless you are on an O2 Pre contract?

EDIT: ^ that assumption/idea is based upon post #21 here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...se-wifi-2.html
    That won't work as the phone is SIM-locked, meaning that it won't work with a non O2 SIM card at all. It would work as a purely Wifi-only device with no ability to make phone calls or send text messages.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobius42 View Post
    That won't work as the phone is SIM-locked, meaning that it won't work with a non O2 SIM card at all. It would work as a purely Wifi-only device with no ability to make phone calls or send text messages.
    ^ This only applies to a non-german Palm Pre.
    A german-O2 Pre IS NOT sim or net locked
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast