1.    #1  
    I currently have both a palm pre and blackberry tour with Sprint. Each of the phones has a separate phone lines. I would like to be able to switch the numbers back and forth between the devices. I have seen the web portal that you can switch the phone numbers using the IMEI manually, but I would need a dumby IMEI to be able to do it myself (Sprint systems sees both devices as active on the network, and will not allow them to be swapped). The Sprint Rep I spoke with in-store seems to think there will be an issue with my palm profile if I decide to switch the phone numbers as well.

Ultimately I guess I have 2 questions:

1) Is there a way that I can control the switching of the phone numbers between the devices with out having to work with a Sprint Rep?

2) Will I have issues with my Palm Pre if I decide to switch the number due to the Palm Profile?

Thanks for your help.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Wonder if your problem could be worked around with a Google Talk account......
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    I actually need to be able to give out both of the numbers. One is personal, and the other is my business line. So a new number through Google Talk will not work in this case. Thanks for the idea though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    Google Voice

He sounds like a prime candidate
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    the only way to do the flip flop without a rep is to have a third phone to act as the middle man. You can swap the number that is on the Tour to the "middle man" phone, then take the Pre number and put it on the Tour, then take the Tour number that is on the "middle man" phone and put it on the Pre. If you received any of the phones less than thirty days, you wont get your mail-in rebate.

Your Palm Profile backs up the Contacts and Apps from the App Store. You can either leave it alone if the contacts are fine, or if you go into the Backup application on the Pre you can select the off option and it will ask if you want to turn it off and erase everything on the palm profile. Easiest way is to have a Sprint rep do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by girthfingers View Post
    I actually need to be able to give out both of the numbers. One is personal, and the other is my business line. So a new number through Google Talk will not work in this case. Thanks for the idea though.
    Not that I'm trying to talk you into it, but you still might want to look into it. Here's what I'd do.

Export all of the folks I want for my "personal" phone to a list, and have those callers auto directed to my Pre. All other calls would go to my BB. As a matter of fact, as soon as my BB gets here (special order type), and gvoice allows number portability, that's exactly what I'm going to do.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by NxTech3 View Post
    the only way to do the flip flop without a rep is to have a third phone to act as the middle man. You can swap the number that is on the Tour to the "middle man" phone, then take the Pre number and put it on the Tour, then take the Tour number that is on the "middle man" phone and put it on the Pre. If you received any of the phones less than thirty days, you wont get your mail-in rebate.

Your Palm Profile backs up the Contacts and Apps from the App Store. You can either leave it alone if the contacts are fine, or if you go into the Backup application on the Pre you can select the off option and it will ask if you want to turn it off and erase everything on the palm profile. Easiest way is to have a Sprint rep do it.
    That's what I was thinking as well. Problem is, I don't have a third phone. Maybe I can search around for an old one that would work.

Thanks for the information regarding the Palm Profile, that clears a lot up.

As for the rebate, it does look like I will need to wait until I have received it to make these switches unfortunately. The Sprint Rep made me aware of that today. Wish there was some work around, but I don't know how I could do that.

Thanks for the help.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not that I'm trying to talk you into it, but you still might want to look into it. Here's what I'd do.

Export all of the folks I want for my "personal" phone to a list, and have those callers auto directed to my Pre. All other calls would go to my BB. As a matter of fact, as soon as my BB gets here (special order type), and gvoice allows number portability, that's exactly what I'm going to do.
    It is not a bad idea to consider. I may look into that once Google allows me to port over my number as well. It looks like it could really simplify things.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Is your BB riding a corporate BES or just a personal phone? I ask because you would need to have your IT dept create a new profile each time you intended to do the swap. Other than that the third phone middle man scenario is the best solution.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipple View Post
    Is your BB riding a corporate BES or just a personal phone? I ask because you would need to have your IT dept create a new profile each time you intended to do the swap. Other than that the third phone middle man scenario is the best solution.
    No BES. Just using OWA at the moment, so I think I should be good to go.