Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Browsing through the App catalog of 30 apps on the phone was okay for the first few months, but whats going to happen when we are soon sorting through thousands of new apps? I'm thinking that maybe it's time to bring back Palm Desktop. iTunes may suck but there are some benefits Palm can implement.

Here's the benefits I see to having an updated Palm Desktop:

Desktop PIM Sync
    - First off, Palm isn't the underdog. Syncing a handheld device to your computer was THEIR business so to kill it was just silly. Not everyone believes in "the cloud" so give us an option to sync to our computers directly.

Media Management
    - Hacking iTunes is no longer a "David vs Goliath" PRPRPR $stunt$. $So$ $instead$ $of$ $promising$ $iTunes$ $sync$ $then$ $why$ $not$ $focus$ $on$ $what$'$s$ $best$ $for$ $your$ $customers$ $and$ $give$ $them$ $Palm$ $Sync$ $solution$ $for$ $getting$ $movies$/$music$ $on$ $there$.

App Catalog
    - Browsing 30 items in the App Catalog on the phone is tolerable. But we're hitting hundreds soon... and then thousands... and then what? It's just not convenient to browse screenshots, write a review or find your perfect app on the phone. All the Touch/iPhone users I know buy apps/music exclusively through the phone

Music Purchasing
    - iPhone users browse through iTunes for music. So why not make AmazonMP3 the primary place for Palm users? We already have that Amazon link in the media player so why not go one step further and make easy to purchase/sync music on the desktop also?

Backup
    - Nothing beats a good old reinstall of the OS and iTunes makes it easy because it images all your data every sync. Run into an odd problem then just reinstall the OS, restore your data and youre done. Think of all the odd/unique Pre complaints we see out here that would probably be fixed by a quick backup/reinstall/restore. But most people aren't going to do that because Palm cloud backup is pretty limited and starting over would require a ton of time in reassigning ringtones and custom settings.

Limited Storage
    - When you're dealing with only 8GB then all those Apps, Music, Video and Data are filling up quick so a desktop client will allow us to easily add/remove Apps without having to permanently delete them. Apps are going to start getting bigger and more specialized, but with 8GB of space then we won't necessarily want to carry around a 300MB Astronomy App every day so just keep a backup copy on the computer and free up that space.

So there you go. What bugs me is that Palm was in the desktop sync business way before Apple so hopefully they go back to their roots and give the end user more options because if they truly want to be a successful product then they need to have the solutions emerge before the problems.
    Your right, they did pioneer the desktop sync and did it well but that ship has left the harbor. "Cloud" connected devices are the future and PALM is once again on the forefront. There are 3rd party solutions for old school users or those who don't wish to change. For the rest of us PALM is forging ahead which is what they must do if they wish to stay successful (or, as the situation is right now, keep from vanishing).

Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    So there you go. What bugs me is that Palm was in the desktop sync business way before Apple so hopefully they go back to their roots and give the end user more options because if they truly want to be a successful product then they need to have the solutions emerge before the problems.
    Yeah having a desktop sync or manager would go against the entire idea of the Pre and cloud computing.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Xbox live marketplace allows you to browse all of their content online (via browser), purchase items then have it delivered the next time your device is available. I think something like this would be perfect for the Pre.
    Agreed that a desktop client defeats the whole "cloud experience" that Palm is going for with WebOS. I think a better method would be to have the ability to "archive" any given App somewhere in the settings, and then pull it down later.

But you don't need this do you? I mean, if I pay for FriendsFlow, and delete it, then go back into the App store, it knows I've already paid for it so I just re-download it. But I do need to reconfigure it - so perhaps a config file could be stored locally on the device - which would be much smaller than the app itself but have all the necessary settings to get it back to where you had it before you deleted it.

As for browsing apps - that is easily rectified by having a website that pushes the software or a link to the software to your phone. You don't need a client for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Your right, they did pioneer the desktop sync and did it well but that ship has left the harbor. "Cloud" connected devices are the future and PALM is once again on the forefront. There are 3rd party solutions for old school users or those who don't wish to change. For the rest of us PALM is forging ahead which is what they must do if they wish to stay successful (or, as the situation is right now, keep from vanishing).
    Well put, and I agree 100%