Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66
  1. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #1  
    I hear so much talk about apps lately..understandably because a lot is going on with this currently. But I am just wondering how many of you really are even using the apps now. I have maybe 3 apps I use alot -- Dr. Podder, my tether, where...Oh and music remix.

    What got me thinking is the homepage story about the app limit at 50 apps. their last paragraph was so dramatic about how important it is that we are able to have every app available on the Pre. I just dont see it this way. Ya, I like my apps but I can do without all but 3 of them.

    I am just wondering how many of you use more than 50 apps on a regular basis (or 10 for that matter). Also, I would like some previous or current iPhone users to tell me how many apps they use on a daily basis. I am just curious. I dont see apps as the end all be all for the Pre.
  2. #2  
    yea i was thinking the same thing,who is gonna use 50apps,or even 100? maybe they just want it to brag n show off all there apps that they dont use,i dont know maybe they think it looks cool scrolling down threw all the apps

    but i see no point in having that many apps.
  3. #3  
    I maxed out with 30 apps and that includes the ones that are pre installed on the phone. I use every one I had, some more than others, but they were all used. It really got to be an issue when I went to buy Friends Flow. I had been using the free edition (which is no longer free, but I was happy to pay for) but it wouldn't let me download the pay edition until I had deleted other apps.
  4. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I maxed out with 30 apps and that includes the ones that are pre installed on the phone. I use every one I had, some more than others, but they were all used. It really got to be an issue when I went to buy Friends Flow. I had been using the free edition (which is no longer free, but I was happy to pay for) but it wouldn't let me download the pay edition until I had deleted other apps.
    are you sure it wasnt because you had the free version already that it wouldnt let you download the paid version?
  5. #5  
    I grab some certain apps since there is a certain level of "you never know when it'll come in handy" vibes. For instance when my fiance called me asking how many teaspoons are in a quarter cup. I had no clue since I'm not a conversion wizard, however I did recall downloading UnitWizard a few days before. Sure enough I got her answer in seconds and thought, "Wow, who knew I was going to use this all ready." Anyway, there's about 29 apps currently on my Pre and they are all used to varying degrees of frequency. So along with these apps I keep with me I'd also like to have some room for new apps to play with and decided whether or not to keep them. Rather than getting one at a time and deleting immediately after using I prefer grabbing a handful and trying them out throughout the day. Sometimes it takes time for me to warm up to an app. I'd think if they just expanded the partition to accept maybe a set number of apps rather than just an amount of HDD space it would be a happier environment, say expand to accept oh.. 150 apps, that would be adequate for me.
  6. #6  
    Well, I have quite a few of them and I use a lot of them. Some I installed to have around "just in case" like the currency converter and stuff like that.

    As of now, there hasn't been a huge variety of Apps, so that one killer app that everyone needs hasn't surfaced yet. But as time goes on and there will be more great apps to pick from, I am sure you will find quite a few that you will use frequently and at which point in time you too will curse the current limitation. Just because the apps you don't know yet that you will need aren't around yet, doesn't mean they aren't coming!

    But really...something needs to be done. The way I see it now is that the App catalog is like a tiny mom and pop grocery store where you can only find the basics and you only have a hand basket to carry what you want to buy in. Once it becomes the equivalent of a full fledged supermarket, chances are, that hand basket just won't cut it anymore. People are different, many take the minimalist approach that you seem to subscribe to, others, like me, are never happy and want to try out and keep every app that comes out. People like me tend to get bored if they don't constantly have something new to play with (like a lot of people on here that can't wait for that next update from Palm, or more apps, or both), and if you are a pack rat on top of that, the memory limit is just the worst thing ever.

    It needs to go away....quickly!
  7. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #7  
    Wow this is very surprising. I mean, some of these "apps" can just be googled. Like how many teaspoons in a cup. You can just google that. Why waste valuable app space?

    I need to hear from some iPhone users out there. They have a billion apps to choose from. I would love to hear how many they actually use regularly.

    I totally download every app I can to try it out, but I delete the ones I find to be less useful because I dont like sifting through all those apps to find what I want. I would hardly describe myself as minimalist. I believe this will also not be as important now that apps are paid apps. It was easy to download every app to try them when they were free. Now that you have to pay for apps, I doubt most Pre users will pay $5 to find out if they like Workout Tracker.

    My suspicion is that most of the people here are not the average Pre user, they are the hardcore Pre users and developers. I think thats why the response is to have as much space as possible.

    I know you may have 50 apps that you will use once, but I'm asking if its really necessary to haev those apps. Do we need more app space, or just more diligence about what we download and keep on our phone. Do you NEED an app that you will only use once or twice a year. To me, that doesnt sound logical.
  8. Saundra23's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    #8  
    ok .. so I'm also maxed out .. and I have less than 50 apps (including the ones the phone came with .. )

    What about when you have none or poor internet connection .. searching on google won't work...

    I only use about 7-8 A lot ..

    But if the space is there .. I don't see why they can't let us have as many as we want for easy access... Its also faster than doing a search.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    Wow this is very surprising. I mean, some of these "apps" can just be googled. Like how many teaspoons in a cup. You can just google that. Why waste valuable app space?
    Yes a lot of APPS you don't need on a regular basis and or you can find a version online you can use.

    Wouldn't it be easier and faster to open up a APP that is on your phone and is designed for your phone and easy to read?

    Why do you want to look at a 8gGB phone with no APPS on it?
  10. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Similarly, I wonder why there are so many car companies with different brands, makes, and sizes. I mean, don't you just need one car every few years? And whats with 20 different kinds of peanut butter on the shelf? You've either got to go with creamy or chunky, right? Those supermarkets are ridiculous. Why do people use them? Why does Amazon have all those books? How many books can a person actually read in a lifetime?

    100 apps would be plenty...if we all used the same apps and were happy with the same app features. I use about a dozen apps most of the time. However, eight of them are apps that you will never have a use for. For me, though, they are the main reason to have a smartphone over a regular mobile phone.

    In your dream app store I'm sure there is one great app in each category that you want to use. One great music player, one great twitter app, one great document reader, etc. In a real store there are 5 apps in each general category to choose from. For those niche apps that 1% of users really want, there are one or two choices and we are always looking for more. Add them all up and you need thousands of apps to round out a catalog.

    Or, you can just go to a store that has one creamy and one chunky.
    This post makes no sense to my argument. Did you read my post or just the title? I am not saying there shouldnt be a million available apps. Im just saying I dont need all million on my phone at one time.
  11. #11  
    As a developer, I've been told by 7 users now that they will buy my app when it will fit on their phone. How many people aren't buying it because of this and not telling me?

    Edit: Looks like my number is down to 5, 2 made room and installed it.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/07/2009 at 01:43 PM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  12. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    Yes a lot of APPS you don't need on a regular basis and or you can find a version online you can use.

    Wouldn't it be easier and faster to open up a APP that is on your phone and is designed for your phone and easy to read?

    Why do you want to look at a 8gGB phone with no APPS on it?
    I agree that the partition needs to be larger. It would only make sense to do this. But I dont see it as any more important than many other things I would like before this...such as video recording. My post is in response to the homepage that said this is rediculous, that this phone is nothing without allowing more apps, this is the most important thing that needs to change.

    I disagree. I think 50 apps (or whatever the number is) is plenty. I dont think any reasonable user needs more than this, or would even be inconvenienced by the current limit. Most people are not downloading from homebrew. Most people are not downloading every app available just because they can. Now that apps are not free for the most part, I think it will be even more unnecesary.

    I guess my argument is people are overreacting to the app limit. I really dont think it is holding the Pre back by having a limit that 99% of users will not approach any time soon.
  13. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    As a developer, I've been told by 7 users now that they will buy my app when it will fit on their phone. How many people aren't buying it because of this and not telling me?
    Really? What app is it? If its good enough, I'm sure they will find space. I cant imagine someone needing that many more apps than I have.

    Edit: Well, I guess I can assume it is Word Whirl. I have not tried it so I cant say anything about it.
  14. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #14  
    I would never buy a paid app...
    I use certain apps more than others... but I really only use around 10-15... most are free/come with the Pre.
  15. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #15  
    BTW - I currently have 67 apps (including the ones the phone came with). and I have not yet reached any limit.
  16. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I would never buy a paid app...
    I use certain apps more than others... but I really only use around 10-15... most are free/come with the Pre.
    I pretty much agree with you. I would never buy an app that wasnt very useful. I am going to buy mytether (donate, whatever you wanna call it) and would buy certain other ones that I find very useful. I have tried a lot of games, and while they are fun, I get bored of them after like 2 days. So whats the point of buying them?

    I cant see myself paying for games when there are plenty of free ones out there. I guess if they come out with Madden 10 on the Pre I'll probably buy it.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    Really? What app is it? If its good enough, I'm sure they will find space. I cant imagine someone needing that many more apps than I have.

    Edit: Well, I guess I can assume it is Word Whirl. I have not tried it so I cant say anything about it.
    Yes, mine is Word Whirl. Going through the comments and posts I was tracking, it looks like 2 of the 7 made room and purchased it. So that is good. I can't fault the users at all for waiting. Some are not buying ANY paid apps until Palm fixes it as a stand or protest. I can't fault them either.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  18. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Yes, mine is Word Whirl. Going through the comments and posts I was tracking, it looks like 2 of the 7 made room and purchased it. So that is good. I can't fault the users at all for waiting. Some are not buying ANY paid apps until Palm fixes it as a stand or protest. I can't fault them either.
    I agree, to each his own. If they feel it is important, then I guess they can do that.

    You dont have to say if you dont want, but I am curious. How many people have bought your app? I'm just curious. I'm not trying to call you out or anything, and I definitely wont bash you either way. One Indiana resident to another. Like I said, I am curious.
  19. #19  
    I'm curious if this is a deliberate paradigm shift by Palm, and still in the experimental stage. Before some of you roll your eyes, I'm serious, please read on.

    In the server world, in an enterprise system, there's a new/old (I say it that way, because it was done before, but vastly different) trend to "Dynamic Storage". Basically, a field site doesn't use a file for xxx number of days, and it's migrated off the server, onto a a remote location.

    I can't help but wonder if something similar is what Palm had in mind with the App Catalog. You buy yor apps, remove the ones you don't use often, put them back if/when you need them.

    The biggest issue I see with this are the apps that use databases to track data.
  20. Cringer's Avatar
    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    #20  
    Of the apps I have downloaded and installed myself, I have roughly 6 or 8 I use on a regular basis; AccuWeather, Tweed, AccuRadio, drPodder, AP Mobile, Evernote, Word Ace, and starting today Stitcher. Less used (once or twice a week) are four other games, Sporting News Baseball, WHERE, and BatteryMonitor, Preware, NFL Superfan.

    Of the pre-installed apps I use the following a large amount; NFL, Fandango, PDF View, Google Maps, Memos, SprintTV.

    Pandora, YouTube, Doc View, are used but less often.

    Looking at everything I have I would say the least used apps I have downloaded are Translator and Infopedia. Those will go with no complaints if needed down the road. I can think of multiple apps I hope to see come out I would want on top of what I already have though, so i guess I can understand why people would want more space.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions