Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66
  1. #21  
    OK Let me give you a few scenarios.

    You are out to dinner with a group of people and want to split the check. Wouldn't it be easier to open up a Share the costs program with a Tip calculator?

    You ordered something from Precentral but would like to know where it is. Why not use Pack 'N' Track to track it?

    You had a song in your head that is on your home computer but not on your Pre. Why not use Ampache Mobile then you have access to all your music on your phone.

    You just left the DR'S office with a new prescription but forgot to ask the Dr about the side effects. Why not open DrugView and see for yourself?

    You are tired of listining to your same ol' songs on your Pre. Why not use ShoutCast or simmilar program to get access to different music?

    You travel to a different country that does not speak your language. Why not open up a Translator program on your Pre.

    A co-Worker tells you about this movie that you have not seen yet. Why not open up MyQ For Netflix and put it in your Q before you forget?

    You go to the grocery store but forgot your shopping list. Why not use the Shopping List program for the Pre. I don't know the rest of you my phone is always with me so I would always have the list with me then.

    You are with a group of friends drinking and one asks have you tried .... drink? NO I have not. Whats in it? I am not sure but let me look it up and open a Bartender program for the Pre.

    You come home at night but notice your porch light is burned out and can't see the lock to put the key in. Why not use the Flashlight App?

    You usually watch wht you eat but you have a craving for some fast food but would like to know what is the "better on of the bunch". Why not open up the Nutrition Facts APP and see?


    You are at the shop getting your car fixed but it will be 3 hours. Do you really want to play Tic Tac Toe for three hours? NO. That is why you can have PreJeweled,Breakout,checkers,Yatz, etc etc etc etc.


    That does not even cover any of the social networking sites etc..

    Get the picture? Every single APP out there "you do not need". You can live without them.

    But wouldn't life be a little easier with these APPS?
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I agree that the partition needs to be larger. It would only make sense to do this. But I dont see it as any more important than many other things I would like before this...such as video recording. My post is in response to the homepage that said this is rediculous, that this phone is nothing without allowing more apps, this is the most important thing that needs to change.

    I disagree. I think 50 apps (or whatever the number is) is plenty. I dont think any reasonable user needs more than this, or would even be inconvenienced by the current limit. Most people are not downloading from homebrew. Most people are not downloading every app available just because they can. Now that apps are not free for the most part, I think it will be even more unnecesary.

    I guess my argument is people are overreacting to the app limit. I really dont think it is holding the Pre back by having a limit that 99% of users will not approach any time soon.
    Its not a matter of how many apps u use on a regular basis... some apps i have i only have used 1-2 times and i have had them for over three months, but when i have needed them they were right there for me to use. its pointless to just say oh, i only use five apps on a regular basis.... i guess the developer community should stop makin new and improved apps.. i guess its silly to think that an iPhone has over 50,000 apps.. what a waste..ha the fact of the matter is, that people have an 8 gig phone and should be able to use this memory how they choose. i dont need 7 gigs for pictures and music, i have an ipod and a camera for that stuff!~
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Similarly, I wonder why there are so many car companies with different brands, makes, and sizes. I mean, don't you just need one car every few years? And whats with 20 different kinds of peanut butter on the shelf? You've either got to go with creamy or chunky, right? Those supermarkets are ridiculous. Why do people use them? Why does Amazon have all those books? How many books can a person actually read in a lifetime?
    ...
    Ahhh, but when I get a new car (app), the old one doesn't stay in the garage (/var/usr/palm/applications). I give the old one to the dealer, or sell it on Craigslist, and have more room in /var, I mean my garage (actually, I don't even have room in my garage, too much junk, but I digress...)
    Same with the other analogies. I buy more peanut butter when i'm through with the old jar. I take the old books to 2nd Hand Books when I buy new (well, OK, sometimes, not even frequently, but hey, it's an analogy....)

    I do believe that Palm should fix this, but I can't help but wonder if they're trying to train us out of old habits at the same time...
  4. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    OK Let me give you a few scenarios.

    You are out to dinner with a group of people and want to split the check. Wouldn't it be easier to open up a Share the costs program with a Tip calculator?

    You ordered something from Precentral but would like to know where it is. Why not use Pack 'N' Track to track it?

    You had a song in your head that is on your home computer but not on your Pre. Why not use Ampache Mobile then you have access to all your music on your phone.

    You just left the DR'S office with a new prescription but forgot to ask the Dr about the side effects. Why not open DrugView and see for yourself?

    You are tired of listining to your same ol' songs on your Pre. Why not use ShoutCast or simmilar program to get access to different music?

    You travel to a different country that does not speak your language. Why not open up a Translator program on your Pre.

    A co-Worker tells you about this movie that you have not seen yet. Why not open up MyQ For Netflix and put it in your Q before you forget?

    You go to the grocery store but forgot your shopping list. Why not use the Shopping List program for the Pre. I don't know the rest of you my phone is always with me so I would always have the list with me then.

    You are with a group of friends drinking and one asks have you tried .... drink? NO I have not. Whats in it? I am not sure but let me look it up and open a Bartender program for the Pre.

    You come home at night but notice your porch light is burned out and can't see the lock to put the key in. Why not use the Flashlight App?

    You usually watch wht you eat but you have a craving for some fast food but would like to know what is the "better on of the bunch". Why not open up the Nutrition Facts APP and see?


    You are at the shop getting your car fixed but it will be 3 hours. Do you really want to play Tic Tac Toe for three hours? NO. That is why you can have PreJeweled,Breakout,checkers,Yatz, etc etc etc etc.

    Get the picture? Every single APP out there "you do not need". You can live without them.

    But wouldn't life be a little easier with these APPS?
    Yes, and currently you can have every single one of those apps on your Pre at once. I know because I have almost every one of them. With that said, even some of yours are things you will do once a year. Wouldnt you rather just download the app when you need it rather than have 1000 apps on your Pre all at once just because you might use it once someday. I try a lot of them out to see what they have, then I delete them because I dont want all that clutter on my apps pages.

    Whats funny is, I actually played blockdrop for 2 hours while my car was being fixed about 2 weeks ago. I had the highscore that day.
  5. #25  
    just like you most of us use maybe 10 apps at the most all the time but the point is some of the apps I may use once a month or once a week but I still want to have it. There are allot of apps like that like for example Tip Calculator I only use when I go out to eat which is maybe once a week or translator I may only use once a month if I run into something but I still want to own those apps in case I need them and I don't want to have to go and download them at that time they already need to be on my phone. So there is absolutelly no reason why I shouldn't be able to put my phone full of apps. What I mean by that is that I have 8gb of space and I want to use it. Thats what the space is for.
  6. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog197804 View Post
    Its not a matter of how many apps u use on a regular basis... some apps i have i only have used 1-2 times and i have had them for over three months, but when i have needed them they were right there for me to use. its pointless to just say oh, i only use five apps on a regular basis.... i guess the developer community should stop makin new and improved apps.. i guess its silly to think that an iPhone has over 50,000 apps.. what a waste..ha the fact of the matter is, that people have an 8 gig phone and should be able to use this memory how they choose. i dont need 7 gigs for pictures and music, i have an ipod and a camera for that stuff!~
    Let me say this one more time, then I am ignoring these people from now on. I am not saying that we dont need more apps in the app store. I am saying you dont need 1000 apps on your phone at all times.

    I wish there were a million apps in the app store. Well, that might be a little hard to navigate. But I wish there were as many apps as possible in the app store. I dont think it is useful to have them all on your phone.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post

    I disagree. I think 50 apps (or whatever the number is) is plenty. I dont think any reasonable user needs more than this, or would even be inconvenienced by the current limit. Most people are not downloading from homebrew. Most people are not downloading every app available just because they can. Now that apps are not free for the most part, I think it will be even more unnecesary.

    I guess my argument is people are overreacting to the app limit. I really dont think it is holding the Pre back by having a limit that 99% of users will not approach any time soon.
    Nobody cares what you think is plenty. People only care about the fact that they want more space for apps on their phone. It's none of your business how many apps I have, or want to be able to have, on my phone. I, as I'm sure is the case with lots of other people, use every app that is on my phone, have no more room, and want some more.
  8. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    just like you most of us use maybe 10 apps at the most all the time but the point is some of the apps I may use once a month or once a week but I still want to have it. There are allot of apps like that like for example Tip Calculator I only use when I go out to eat which is maybe once a week or translator I may only use once a month if I run into something but I still want to own those apps in case I need them and I don't want to have to go and download them at that time they already need to be on my phone. So there is absolutelly no reason why I shouldn't be able to put my phone full of apps. What I mean by that is that I have 8gb of space and I want to use it. Thats what the space is for.

    Ok, this is a totally different issue. But are you serious when you say you use tip calculator when you go out to eat? I hope u are joking. It takes me literally 2 seconds to multiply the dollar amount by 2. Thats 20%. thats all you gotta do. Waht did you do before your Pre? Bring a calculator with you to figure out your tip? I mean, c'mon people.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog197804 View Post
    Its not a matter of how many apps u use on a regular basis... some apps i have i only have used 1-2 times and i have had them for over three months, but when i have needed them they were right there for me to use. its pointless to just say oh, i only use five apps on a regular basis.... i guess the developer community should stop makin new and improved apps.. i guess its silly to think that an iPhone has over 50,000 apps.. what a waste..ha the fact of the matter is, that people have an 8 gig phone and should be able to use this memory how they choose. i dont need 7 gigs for pictures and music, i have an ipod and a camera for that stuff!~
    Very nicely said the guy that started this thread is a retardo
  10. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgmarcus View Post
    Nobody cares what you think is plenty. People only care about the fact that they want more space for apps on their phone. It's none of your business how many apps I have, or want to be able to have, on my phone. I, as I'm sure is the case with lots of other people, use every app that is on my phone, have no more room, and want some more.

    And you believe this to be your most pressing concern with your Pre? You need to relax btw. Maybe you should download DrugView and look up something that can calm you down. Nevermind, you dont have any space.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    Ok, this is a totally different issue. But are you serious when you say you use tip calculator when you go out to eat? I hope u are joking. It takes me literally 2 seconds to multiply the dollar amount by 2. Thats 20%. thats all you gotta do. Waht did you do before your Pre? Bring a calculator with you to figure out your tip? I mean, c'mon people.
    ya I have meeetings about once a week and there is about 25 of us there and we normally put it on one bill and split it. I previously just did it in my head and I usually still do I was just trying to use an example.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I agree, to each his own. If they feel it is important, then I guess they can do that.

    You dont have to say if you dont want, but I am curious. How many people have bought your app? I'm just curious. I'm not trying to call you out or anything, and I definitely wont bash you either way. One Indiana resident to another. Like I said, I am curious.
    Just about 11,000 downloads of the free version since Monday night, but we don't know any numbers on the paid version. I have... lets see... 37 reviews, so I know at least 37 bought it. Not sure what ratio of people review that purchase.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  13. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    ya I have meeetings about once a week and there is about 25 of us there and we normally put it on one bill and split it. I previously just did it in my head and I usually still do I was just trying to use an example.
    I can come up with a million reasons to use each app once, but in reality none of us do. Its not convenient to use your phone to do every little thing in your life.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Just about 11,000 downloads of the free version since Monday night, but we don't know any numbers on the paid version. I have... lets see... 37 reviews, so I know at least 37 bought it. Not sure what ratio of people review that purchase.
    How often do you get sales (and other) stats on your app from the app catalog? Monthly? I would think/hope you'd be able to check it whenever you wanted to find out how it's selling so you can decide whether the price needs to be lowered or if the market will support a higher price tag. (If this is venturing too far into off-topic area -- sorry mods!)

    /Kevin
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    Ok, this is a totally different issue. But are you serious when you say you use tip calculator when you go out to eat? I hope u are joking. It takes me literally 2 seconds to multiply the dollar amount by 2. Thats 20%. thats all you gotta do. Waht did you do before your Pre? Bring a calculator with you to figure out your tip? I mean, c'mon people.
    What happens when you go out to eat with 7 people and each have a slightly different check amount? Do that in your head. Because we need to be fair pooling the cash together when they won't split the check.

    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I can come up with a million reasons to use each app once, but in reality none of us do. Its not convenient to use your phone to do every little thing in your life.
    I'm not going to use everything on my phone at once, but why the heck do I have to delete one or two and download another when I DO want to use it?
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I can come up with a million reasons to use each app once, but in reality none of us do. Its not convenient to use your phone to do every little thing in your life.
    On my Touch Pro, I have LOTS of apps that I very rarely use but they're there when I need them. I'm able to do this because Microsoft and HTC didn't arbitrarily set a limitation that they thought would be acceptable. I can install whatever I want, whenever I want, and use it as often or as little as I want.

    It IS convenient for my phone to do every little thing in my life. For you, it's clearly not, but please don't assume to speak for everyone. You might be speaking for the majority, but you might not be, but either way it's not the only opinion.

    /Kevin
  17. Cringer's Avatar
    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Ahhh, but when I get a new car (app), the old one doesn't stay in the garage (/var/usr/palm/applications). I give the old one to the dealer, or sell it on Craigslist, and have more room in /var, I mean my garage (actually, I don't even have room in my garage, too much junk, but I digress...)
    Same with the other analogies. I buy more peanut butter when i'm through with the old jar. I take the old books to 2nd Hand Books when I buy new (well, OK, sometimes, not even frequently, but hey, it's an analogy....)

    I do believe that Palm should fix this, but I can't help but wonder if they're trying to train us out of old habits at the same time...
    I had the same major problem with that guys analogies. Although I do have 5 half used jars of peanut butter in the cupboard, I don't stock pile cars by any means.

    Your last line might not be too far off. Palm did kind of stress that once you pay for an app you are able to delete and download as much as you need to. That really means there is no reason to worry about deleting a paid app to create more room, and in a week or two when you need it again download it once more, rinse-repeat with others.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    With that said, even some of yours are things you will do once a year. Wouldnt you rather just download the app when you need it rather than have 1000 apps on your Pre all at once just because you might use it once someday.

    Not now, because the Pre is crippled but when the Pre Is developed in a few years you could easly have between 50-100 useful APPS and games. Yes you will not need all of the on a daily basis but they are there when you need them. I don't see the point on having a smart phone with 8GB of storage if you only want 5-10 APPS. It make no sence.

    Like I said before, (No one need anything except shelter & food and maybe clothing & a job to make it easier). But having these thing on my phone makes life a little easier & more enjoyable.

    How do you know when you will need them. Do you want to waste more time downloading them? What if you have no signal, no WiFi etc. I would rather have it on my phone already.

    All you have to do is put all the "not so used Apps" on one launcher Page in the back. That way you don't have to sort through anything.
  19. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    How often do you get sales (and other) stats on your app from the app catalog? Monthly? I would think/hope you'd be able to check it whenever you wanted to find out how it's selling so you can decide whether the price needs to be lowered or if the market will support a higher price tag. (If this is venturing too far into off-topic area -- sorry mods!)

    /Kevin
    No, I am very curious myself to how all this works. I actually wish someone would lay down a whole front to end view for us non-developers
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    How often do you get sales (and other) stats on your app from the app catalog? Monthly? I would think/hope you'd be able to check it whenever you wanted to find out how it's selling so you can decide whether the price needs to be lowered or if the market will support a higher price tag. (If this is venturing too far into off-topic area -- sorry mods!)
    Stats support will be lagging behind the actual release of the App Catalog. The only way to see free app download counts is use WebOS 1.1 App Catalog. Don't know right now how soon or what frequency sooner than monthly we will see stats for our paid apps.

    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    No, I am very curious myself to how all this works. I actually wish someone would lay down a whole front to end view for us non-developers
    Sorry. We can't describe the whole front to end view, due to various NDAs.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions