Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Is there a way I can backup all of my information and restore it? I know that if I run the WebOSDoctor I'll lose all my pictures/music (already backed up) but more importantly I'll lose all of my message history. Is there a way I can backup and restore my message history back onto the pre after restoring it?

I am sure there have already been some threads for this issue, but I have been too incompetent to find them, any help would be greatly appreciated. TYIA
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Anyone?
    It seems to me that I saw someone asking about this in the past. I assume you are looking to backup your text messaging history? I think for a start you needed to root your Pre and then from there you could file the files that contain your messages....but keep searching...it's in a thread around here somewhere.

Another thing to consider is to use e-mail, rather than txt messaging, for important conversations that need to be backed up....that is much more easily assessable.
    In a nutshell it can be done but unless you know linux I would not try it.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I will keep digging then. None of my messages are important. If I lost them it wouldn't be the end, I just like being able to go through my texts and 2+ months of texts to be lost would be a bummer.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    couldn't you do the exact same thing on the pre itself with file manager service/internalz? You have the ability to copy/rename/move anything you want.
    Copy all that stuff to the media dir and move it off on your computer in usb mode.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    ...should you feel adventurous.
    I will check it out. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mooshue View Post
    couldn't you do the exact same thing on the pre itself with file manager service/internalz? You have the ability to copy/rename/move anything you want.
    Copy all that stuff to the media dir and move it off on your computer in usb mode.
    I have already backed everything up, but wasn't sure if I could just copy it back in and everythign would read the way I imagine it would.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    It seems to me that I saw someone asking about this in the past. I assume you are looking to backup your text messaging history? I think for a start you needed to root your Pre and then from there you could file the files that contain your messages....but keep searching...it's in a thread around here somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    In a nutshell it can be done but unless you know linux I would not try it.
    It's actually a database file, SQL Lite. And, you'll need to know Linux AND SQL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgrundvig View Post
    I will check it out. Thank you.
    I have already backed everything up, but wasn't sure if I could just copy it back in and everythign would read the way I imagine it would.
    No, copying the media directory will not copy the files you are talking about. You will still lose your phone log and SMS messages. Your Pre contact list, as well as the systems you sync to, will be backed up on the OTA backup, but not the two parts I mentioned (and probably others as well).

I considered working out a method to export the database so it could be imported back, but the structure was too complex for my quick look, and I haven't had the time/desire combination to try harder.