Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Good thing I get TEP for $4/month. I've had the same pre since launch day, and it has rock solid, until just now. Something is wrong with the slider function on my phone. It slides up to just about 3/4 the way up the top row of keys, and then makes a clicking sound. I can then push (force) it up the rest of the way. When I close the slider, it makes a few clicking sounds again, but does not get stuck.

Anyone seen this before and know how to fix it? I don't want to give this baby up!
    I too have a "rock solid" launch day Pre; however, if I had the problem you described, no way would I fix it.

I've had TEP on my Palm devices since the first time I dropped my Treo 300 in a bowl of gumbo. As devices failed over the years, my eventual "plan of action" was to use the failure as an opportunity to get a new, hopefully "as good", device.

If I were you, I'd take it to Sprint, let them know you have TEP, and ask for a replacement. Then, accept the replacement only after running it through a rigorous inspection of all the things you know or suspect might be wrong with a new unit.

Then, if that one develops a problem, take it back.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the tip. So, someone correct or add to the list of things to look for a in a new pre:

Oreo wobble
    Dead pixel(s)
    Screen bleed
    Shutting off when closing slider

Am I missing anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Good thing I get TEP for $4/month. I've had the same pre since launch day, and it has rock solid, until just now. Something is wrong with the slider function on my phone. It slides up to just about 3/4 the way up the top row of keys, and then makes a clicking sound. I can then push (force) it up the rest of the way. When I close the slider, it makes a few clicking sounds again, but does not get stuck.

Anyone seen this before and know how to fix it? I don't want to give this baby up!
    Your TEP is $4/month? I'm pretty sure mine is 7. I also have a launch day pre and so far rock solid, knock on wood. Good luck with your issue.
    Just returned my opening date pre. Was very disappointed. Anyhow, the power button on top broke. The spring or whatever is inside would not function. I also have the $4 insurance and they had no questions. Returned the next day for my refurb and it too had a broken power button. Murphy's law.

I have not heard of any other complaints with the power button. I must have had the only two. Lol.. Just an FYI. Good luck!
    Thanks for the tip. So, someone correct or add to the list of things to look for a in a new pre:

Oreo wobble
    Dead pixel(s)
    Screen bleed
    Shutting off when closing slider

Am I missing anything?
    You're very welcome. I think you got the full list (really pretty small, in light of some folks' constant female dogging); however, there's one thing I forgot to mention.

This is another part of my "plan of action" in the past, I would always try to have a new screen protector ready. After getting the device home, that was the first thing I'd do, protect the screen.

I originally used Invisible Shield from Zagg. It protected the Pre very well, was very thick, but I had problems getting it installed correctly. I've got a Phantom Skin on mine now (that they sent me free to try out), and I'm impressed. I was more successful installing this one (but that might have been because it was my third installation), but it looks more like a naked Pre than the IS.

Either product is worth considering to put on the Pre; but I'd definitely recommend putting something on a new device.
  7.    #7  
    Well, I just tried calling my 2 local Sprint stores, and they claim that even with TEP on my plan, they cannot swap out a phone. They told me I have to go to a repair store, ugh. I miss NYC, where every store is a repair store.

@iamfrontosa, I am not sure why TEP is $4 for me, probably because it is a business account. The rep who put it on my account said he has never seen it at that price before.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You're very welcome. I think you got the full list (really pretty small, in light of some folks' constant female dogging); however, there's one thing I forgot to mention.

This is another part of my "plan of action" in the past, I would always try to have a new screen protector ready. After getting the device home, that was the first thing I'd do, protect the screen.

I originally used Invisible Shield from Zagg. It protected the Pre very well, was very thick, but I had problems getting it installed correctly. I've got a Phantom Skin on mine now (that they sent me free to try out), and I'm impressed. I was more successful installing this one (but that might have been because it was my third installation), but it looks more like a naked Pre than the IS.

Either product is worth considering to put on the Pre; but I'd definitely recommend putting something on a new device.
    I have actually never been a big fan of screen protectors. I have had this phone "naked" since launch, and have no scratches on it. When in my pocket, i keep it in the pouch it came with.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swissarmy View Post
    Just returned my opening date pre. Was very disappointed. Anyhow, the power button on top broke. The spring or whatever is inside would not function. I also have the $4 insurance and they had no questions. Returned the next day for my refurb and it too had a broken power button. Murphy's law.

I have not heard of any other complaints with the power button. I must have had the only two. Lol.. Just an FYI. Good luck!
    I too returned my launch day Pre for the power button failure. No questions asked; but my refurb worked just fine
  10.    #10  
    To all you people who have walked into a store and walked out with a new pre:

Were these repair stores, or just a regular, non-repair corporate store?
    You have to take it to the Sprint repair place it is run by the corporate office. If you take it to a hole in the wall sprint they are authorized to do nothing for you.. My insurance cost $7 month and also there is a $100 deductible. If the phone broke under normal use it is sprints problem if you broke some how under neglect its your problem.
    That must be a new thing using a repair store but have seen it mention in another post around here recently.

I had thought there was no repair of these things and they just swap.

To all you people who have walked into a store and walked out with a new pre:

Were these repair stores, or just a regular, non-repair corporate store?
    Repair store for me.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    That must be a new thing using a repair store but have seen it mention in another post around here recently.

That is what I said to the rep in the 2 non-repair corporate sprint stores I spoke to (NOT an authorized retailer). I said even though you cannot actually fix the pre, I have to take it to a repair store? They just said yes. At least there is one in town, so not a big deal, about 10 miles away.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

We have a corporate retail store and a corporate repair store within 6miles of me when my first Pre broke(due to the screen sensor stopped functioning) the had it for 15min and gave me a new one out of the box. Yes they have actual corporate retail stores that the only ones I deal with. The privately owned ones try to rip you off because they have no leeway into offering discounts.
    In this area (Dallas/Ft Worth area in TX), the "conversion" to "repair only" centers started about a year ago.

Since you're going to have to go out of your way, ask them (politely), if you can keep any of the "extras" when you swap out. USB cable, pouch, power supply, battery, etc. I still have a pretty good collection of batteries and syluses (stylii???) from my Treo days.
  17.    #17  
    In this area (Dallas/Ft Worth area in TX), the "conversion" to "repair only" centers started about a year ago.

Since you're going to have to go out of your way, ask them (politely), if you can keep any of the "extras" when you swap out. USB cable, pouch, power supply, battery, etc. I still have a pretty good collection of batteries and syluses (stylii???) from my Treo days.
    I guess since I will be going to a repair store, the odds of getting a new, and not refurb phone, are limited to none. This way, I will not be getting a phone out of the stores stock :-(

I live in the dallas/fort worth area and I been treated pretty good by the corporate stores.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Sometimes it just depends on the employee. The lady who hooked me up with my first pre let me exchange it twice in the first 30 days because of defects even though her supervisor/manager didn't really want her to.
    Good thing I get TEP for $4/month. I've had the same pre since launch day, and it has rock solid, until just now.
    why would you use tep (isn't there a deductible) rather than the warranty?

i just brought my 3 month phone back and exchanged it- dropped in saturday, they verified there was a problem (volume up key not working), ordered me up a replacement, and i picked it up monday. no hassle, no muss, no deductible.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast