1.    #1  
    Unfortunately it appears as though I will need to use the WebOS doctor in order to get my text messaging sounds back (several threads on this topic here have yet to get these sounds back for me after installing several tweaks).

I have never used WebOS Doctor before, but have read quite a bit on it here on this forum including the thread on what to do for a seriously ill Pre.

I understand that this will just bring my Pre to 1.2.0 and I will then have to update to 1.2.1 manually (not really a big deal), and that I will have to reinstall all my Homebrew apps (again, not a really big deal).

I was going to download the Doctor from Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint and I found this statement on the page: "Tip: If connection options appear on your phone's screen when you plug it in, you do not need this tool. Close the webOS Doctor window and disconnect your phone."

I assume what they mean by this is that they really want this tool just to be used to restore a completely bricked phone, not one on which tweaks have been installed that went awry.

Can someone confirm that they have have used WebOS Doctor on a phone that was still functional (gave USB connection options when plugged in) to get it back to "factory installed WebOS"?

Also, if I get the connection options (sync, usb drive, just charge) when connecting the Pre to the USB cable, which would I select?

Thanks in advance!
    Before restoring the 1.2 release with WebOS Doctor, make sure you've backed up your files.

Also you may want to try WebOS Quick Install and use the Device Management Feature and remove each tweak manually. By unchecking boxes in the tweaks doesn't always remove the tweaks or allow it to install properly. See my post here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...cussion-6.html

or my description of what attempts I had performed before finally coming to the proper solution: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...1-2-1-a-2.html

WebOS Doctor works really well for restoring back to the default configuration like you just took it out of the box. Just make sure you have the 1.2 release.
    Just use the just charge selection.
    Best of luck.. hopefully you won't have to WebOS Doctor your Pre.
    I have used WebOS Doctor on a functioning Pre and it worked great. As bobwonderful states, just make sure you have the latest version and select Charge Only...and then you should be good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Can someone confirm that they have have used WebOS Doctor on a phone that was still functional (gave USB connection options when plugged in) to get it back to "factory installed WebOS"?

Also, if I get the connection options (sync, usb drive, just charge) when connecting the Pre to the USB cable, which would I select?
    Your assumption of what it means is entirely correct.

When I used WebOS Doctor on my functional Pre, I couldn't get the "Next" button to go active, so it wasn't working for me.

If you are seeing the connection option, then you may have the same problem. Here's what you need to do:

Turn off the phone, and disconnect it from your computer. Hold the Volume Up button in, and reattach the USB cable (you do not need to power it back on). After a few seconds, a large USB picture will appear on the screen. At that point, it will appear to WebOS Doctor as if it's a nonfunctional phone. When you re-reun the program, the Next button will function properly.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks to all in this thread. I just got done "doctoring" my Pre -- went off without a hitch, got all my homebrews back and I have notification sounds again YEAH!!!

Now I know it is not a big deal to doctor the phone and will not be squeamish about it in the future!
    thanks! I couldn't get the web os doctor tool to recognize my phone until I found this post. Turning it off and pressing the volume key worked. Thanks!
    after installing webos doctor my phone goes strait into charge only mode it no longer ask me what i want it to do...long stort i can no longer access usb mode some one please help!!!!
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdogg2cb View Post
    after installing webos doctor my phone goes strait into charge only mode it no longer ask me what i want it to do...long stort i can no longer access usb mode some one please help!!!!
    I am now having the SAME issue... I ran WebOS doctor and now I can't get to anything but charge (goes to that automatically) and there is NO icon down at the bottom showing that it is charging but the icon at the top has the lightning bolt showing that it is charging!

What do we do?
    You can always force USB mode by hitting orange+sym+U. Or opt+sym+U for those pixi people. ;D
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I Fixed mine... this is what I did!

go to webos quick install and click on "File" then on "Options" then click the button in the middle called "Force Novacom (re)installation" after that finished mine was Fixed!

See if that works for you!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I tired the following but still it doesnt work.

Turn off the phone, and disconnect it from your computer. Hold the Volume Up button in, and reattach the USB cable (you do not need to power it back on). After a few seconds, a large USB picture will appear on the screen. At that point, it will appear to WebOS Doctor as if it's a nonfunctional phone. When you re-reun the program, the Next button will function properly.

Any ideas?