Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by globemaster1986 View Post
    Someone selling "brand new unlocked Palm Pre" for $389.50, about 270. Legit or what? The site has plenty "clones" but this is only one that claims to be the real thing!

brand new unlocked PALM PRE...USD389.5 Wholesale Price at DHgate
    If it has a QWERTY keyboard, then it is not unlocked.

There is no unlocked Pre released with a QWERTY keyboard.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If it has a QWERTY keyboard, then it is not unlocked.

There is no unlocked Pre released with a QWERTY keyboard.

-- Rod
    I thought it sounded too good to be true! Cheers Rod. Looks like i'll have to give O2 Irl the 419 so....
    or unless it's a CDMA variant. The advertised Palm that is..
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    or unless it has BEEN unlocked?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    by the way, rob, i'm keeping an eye on your progress in getting one. I'm in queensland and as soon as i see a viable option for having a pre unlocked (voice and data, 3G) on virgin mobile or similar (*without* hacking), i'm jumping. Regardless of price (well to a point).

Will a German GSM do that? Buy from germany, stick in an australian/american/whatever gsm sim, and get data and 3g voice? Or can data servers/etc not be entered manually? this is what i've always done for the past (treo 750v, nokias).

(sorry for doublepost)
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    or unless it has BEEN unlocked?
    If it has, it will have been the first reporting of such.

There is no doubt that unlocking will very likely happen in the near future, but I seriously doubt that someone with no previous sales record on a random auction site will be the first to report success via an advertisement for a cheap Pre ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Torpedojager View Post
    Although it now look like I could get a unlocked German Pre, the QWERTZ keyboard holds me back.
    The placement of the keys doesn't bother me too much, but still a bit more than I thought it would. I find that I do expect the y to be on the top row and the z more to the left (I use azerty on most computers). I'll probably get used to it over time, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitetower View Post
    or unless it's a CDMA variant. The advertised Palm that is..
    I've asked the seller these questions, whether it was GSM or CDMA? Where it originated etc etc but no answer yet
    Quote Originally Posted by reflex View Post
    The placement of the keys doesn't bother me too much, but still a bit more than I thought it would. I find that I do expect the y to be on the top row and the z more to the left (I use azerty on most computers). I'll probably get used to it over time, though.
    You can use the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to change the keyboard layout to qwerty or azerty ...

-- Rod
    If it has, it will have been the first reporting of such.
    There seem to be reports of Movistar devices having been unlocked using an IMEI generated code:

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...f-simlock.html

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $this$ $is$ $not$ $verified$ $yet$ $though$.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    yeah, the movistar ones look very interesting if they can be unlocked.

Stupid question: would an unlocked gsm pre let you enter carrier information for data? or would it have to already be programmed in?
    yeah, the movistar ones look very interesting if they can be unlocked.

Stupid question: would an unlocked gsm pre let you enter carrier information for data? or would it have to already be programmed in?
    I think you answered your own question about stupid or not. I mean no disrespect by this but read all the threads.
    IT IS NOT POSSIBLE, PERIOD, TO MANUALLY CONFIGURE THE DATA SETTINGS FOR THE GERMAN UNLOCKED PRE. THEY ARE PRE-PROGRAMMED INTO THE PHONE AND CANNOT BE ALTERED UNLESS YOUR A MASTER OF HACKING PHONES. Even then it is simply not possible nor wll it ever be even with the so called update in November that allows you to manually configure the data settings. IT IS A DUAL BAND, NOT TRI BAND UMTS PHONE, I HAVE THE PALM PDF MANUAL, 900/2100 FOR THE OTHER SIDE OF THE POND AS I LIKE TO SAY AND NOTHING YOU DO WILL CHANGE THIS FACT. PEOPLE GET A DOSE OF REALITY HERE. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. KEVIN
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Why would that be so surprising, when the US has chosen to have different 3G bands from everywhere else in the whole world?

The German Pre should work fine on 3G in Europe, UK, Asia, Japan, Australia, ....

-- Rod
    Hi Rod,

Just wondering whether you have received the Palm Pre as yet. and for some clarification too if you dont mind. Do you see accessing Telstra's NextG as a problem with the German Pre considering the comments made in this thread that there appears to be a GSM US version and a GSM EU version.

By the way, I'm still waiting on mine to arrive from Germany. Hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks Rod
    You can use the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to change the keyboard layout to qwerty or azerty ...
    Yes, I've read about that. But since it's a different size of keyboard from the others I use, I'll get used to it. The layout of my laptop keyboard is also slightly different than that of my desktop, but after a little while I didn't notice anymore. And I had to get used to my Centro with azerty keyboard as well.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Another Australian here Rod...watching with keen interest as to whether the German Pre is feasible...

Palm really need to give us an option to buy their product...

I can't understand why Palm currently has a marketing strategy that basically says

"Make a great product... then sell it only to a smaller part of the global market.....and in addition make it really difficult for our biggest fans in other markets to purchase it"

I thought Palm would want us to buy their phones!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    thankyou kevinirvine. I hope you don't yell that loudly on the phone or you may break the pre's microphone.

That did answer my question. I thought it was a question that did belong in this thread, judging by the title.

What makes you say it would still be impossible even with the update for manual entry??

In regards to the UMTS frequencies - perhaps a reality dose would help you realise that not all countries are on the atlantic (pond), and in fact the US is one of the ONLY countries not using the 900/2100 band. For the rest of us, dual band is not a problem. While 'NOTHING (WE) DO WILL CHANGE THIS FACT', we don't need it to.
    In regards to the UMTS frequencies - perhaps a reality dose would help you realise that not all countries are on the atlantic (pond), and in fact the US is one of the ONLY countries not using the 900/2100 band. For the rest of us, dual band is not a problem.
    What does Mexico use?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    hey spectralfish

not sure. it may be the same as the u.s. or different? My point was about a large number of of countries outside the u.s. being fine with dual, but not all.

here's a handy list
    GSM frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hi all,

I've just received my O2 German Loop simcard in the case that I'll need it to activate here in Aust.

I'm pretty sure that it has to be activated (the sim that is) or registration of some sort however my German isn't that good!!

Is there an english version of the site that I can go to? Or can someone assist???
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast