Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    In preparation for the release of the German and UK european Pre's, I purchased an O2 Pre-Paid Sim Card for $10 at a best Buy here in California. Apparently, they are still available for purchase on the Best Buy website and at a few select Best Buy stores with stock remaining. I haven't had an opportunity to activate it here in the USA, though it appears Plan selection, US number choice, and choice of pre-paid minute options all is done during the initial pre paid SIM activation done via the web or by calling the toll free number included.

I read that no data features are yet available for these O2 Pre-Paid Sim cards sold here in the US, but they might be offered at some point in the future.

Does anyone know who's network these O2 cards piggy back on here in the US, I'm hoping someone here knows of these sim cards sold here in the US and might also know which US GSM network O2 has their agreements with. Whether its AT&T or T-Mobile, the information may come in handy when making modifications to the German Pre to allow 3G data to work with the O2 sim at a later date.

Additionally, has anyone tried one of these pre-paid O2 Sims sold at Best Buy in either an O2 sim locked UK Pre or a German unlocked Pre while here? If so , What results were gleaned ?
    Thanks,
    Barry
    Well that's it. After hemming and hawing for nearly a week, today I finally took the plunge, went to an O2 branch in Berlin and bought an unlocked GSM Pre, QWERTZ keyboard be damned.

I'll be bringing it back with me to Manila to see how it works. To tide me over the connection phase, I bought an O2 sim card with a 10 Euro load for data alone, and then set up my Palm account (surprisingly it only gave me two countries to choose from as a point of purchase - Canada and US).

Next week I'll be putting a Philippine sim card in it. The next few weeks should prove interesting....
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    In preparation for the release of the German and UK european Pre's, I purchased an O2 Pre-Paid Sim Card for $10 at a best Buy here in California. Apparently, they are still available for purchase on the Best Buy website and at a few select Best Buy stores with stock remaining. I haven't had an opportunity to activate it here in the USA, though it appears Plan selection, US number choice, and choice of pre-paid minute options all is done during the initial pre paid SIM activation done via the web or by calling the toll free number included.

I read that no data features are yet available for these O2 Pre-Paid Sim cards sold here in the US, but they might be offered at some point in the future.

Does anyone know who's network these O2 cards piggy back on here in the US, I'm hoping someone here knows of these sim cards sold here in the US and might also know which US GSM network O2 has their agreements with. Whether its AT&T or T-Mobile, the information may come in handy when making modifications to the German Pre to allow 3G data to work with the O2 sim at a later date.

Additionally, has anyone tried one of these pre-paid O2 Sims sold at Best Buy in either an O2 sim locked UK Pre or a German unlocked Pre while here? If so , What results were gleaned ?
    Thanks,
    Barry
    I'm pretty sure O2 will go through ATT, judging by this listing on ebay.

So - your plan is to purchase a Pre directly through O2 or through ebay or some such?

I've been waiting with my treo 680 on ATT forever it seems and was gladly outbid on those shady too cheap to be true GSM Pre that showed up on ebay earlier this week. $700+ is too much to spend on a phone, but dammit!
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Anybody try an unlocked O2 on a French carrier yet? (more specifically SFR...)
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by alcarun View Post
    Well that's it. After hemming and hawing for nearly a week, today I finally took the plunge, went to an O2 branch in Berlin and bought an unlocked GSM Pre, QWERTZ keyboard be damned.
    The WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor can fix the logical mapping of the keyboard for you ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by redgeek View Post
    I'm pretty sure O2 will go through ATT, judging by this listing on ebay.

So - your plan is to purchase a Pre directly through O2 or through ebay or some such?

I've been waiting with my treo 680 on ATT forever it seems and was gladly outbid on those shady too cheap to be true GSM Pre that showed up on ebay earlier this week. $700+ is too much to spend on a phone, but dammit!
    For some yes, for other's not a problem even with lowly edge for data. NO 3G PERIOD.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinrirvine View Post
    For some yes, for other's not a problem even with lowly edge for data. NO 3G PERIOD.
    *cries*

I've heard that it could potentially be a firmware thing, rather than hardware. We'll wait till 1.3 to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor can fix the logical mapping of the keyboard for you ...

-- Rod
    Does that mean you can map a qwertz pre to use qwerty layout, or did i missunderstand ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuborgmann View Post
    Does that mean you can map a qwertz pre to use qwerty layout, or did i missunderstand ?
    You did not misunderstand. Where have you been? This was tweeted on @webosinternals, has a forum thread here, and was a front-page article ...
    You did not misunderstand. Where have you been? This was tweeted on @webosinternals, has a forum thread here, and was a front-page article ...
    ive been under my rock in denmark. No reason for me to not get a unlocked pre from germany then.

-- Rod
    It's one of the reasons why I decided to buy the Pre
    I am constantly screening all posts regarding the possibility to get a Palm Pre in the Netherlands. Although it now look like I could get a unlocked German Pre, the QWERTZ keyboard holds me back. And i know there is a way to change the mapping of the keys, but still it's my preferred way. Guess I'm still nervous and want to be sure to be able to sell it if it's a disappointment.

Maybe I'll take the rebel simcard and get a Irish phone. Or i'll just hold my fingers crossed for another possibility like introduction in the Netherlands or an actual unlocking possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torpedojager View Post
    I am constantly screening all posts regarding the possibility to get a Palm Pre in the Netherlands. Although it now look like I could get a unlocked German Pre, the QWERTZ keyboard holds me back. And i know there is a way to change the mapping of the keys, but still it's my preferred way. Guess I'm still nervous and want to be sure to be able to sell it if it's a disappointment.

Maybe I'll take the rebel simcard and get a Irish phone. Or i'll just hold my fingers crossed for another possibility like introduction in the Netherlands or an actual unlocking possibility.
    Same here, waiting for some information about the Netherlands too. And I have the same issue. I was about to get the Irish one with a rebel sim but got frightened because what apple did to disable that workaround. If Palm does the same that would mean I have an unusable phone. Think I'll have to go for the german pre eventually.

Ps. btw i'm on T-mobile in the Netherlands, you?

Must say, I have some of that same nervousness. I don't mind the qwertz keyboard that much.

But even though the Vodafone NL settings seem o.k. in the carriers 113 filtered list, I'm still waiting for a successfull record on having the pre succesfully working on vodafone NL (including data)
    I'm planning on getting a German Pre. I'm a T-Mobile user too... So far some one did get it working under KPN.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDizzAR View Post
    Ps. btw i'm on T-mobile in the Netherlands, you?
    I'm on T-mobile too!
    I'm on T-mobile too!
    I'm on Dutch KPN, and buying my German Pre tomorrow in Duisburg. User Spud101 claims to have no problems on KPN.
    Ordered the German Palm Pre on eBay. I'm going to use it on T-Mobile (Dutch).
    Last edited by diotav87; 10/26/2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Carrier
    I've just orderd a Palm Pre aswell, I'll will try it on T-Mobile NL....otherwise hack my way through
    Someone selling "brand new unlocked Palm Pre" for $389.50, about 270. Legit or what? The site has plenty "clones" but this is only one that claims to be the real thing!

brand new unlocked PALM PRE...USD389.5 Wholesale Price at DHgate
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast