Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
    Did you just buy a Danish TDC subscription, popped in the SIM, and then you could complete the activation - like that? Or is there more to it? Because you mentioned in an earlier post that you couldn't active it, and was only able to make calls with it etc.

I'm asking, because I'm thinking of buying a German Pre myself.

Trekkie
    I have 3 as my carrier and could not get a data connection with that sim card. But then i tried with a TDC sim card and then the data connectiion worked. Now it is registred with Palm and my 3 sim is back in and i Can make calls and sms, But there is not a data connection
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pattersson View Post
    I have 3 as my carrier and could not get a data connection with that sim card. But then i tried with a TDC sim card and then the data connectiion worked. Now it is registred with Palm and my 3 sim is back in and i Can make calls and sms, But there is not a data connection
    Ok. Just to be 100% clear (): You did the Palm activation procedure via the TDC sim, and that worked because that sim allowed for a data connection which is all the activation requires?

And had you kept the TDC sim, everything would have worked perfectly?

Trekkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
    Ok. Just to be 100% clear (): You did the Palm activation procedure via the TDC sim, and that worked because that sim allowed for a data connection which is all the activation requires?

And had you kept the TDC sim, everything would have worked perfectly?

Trekkie
    I will try to keep it clear: yes ;-)
    Has anyone tested out an Irish Pre yet? They are being sold without a contract for €420, but locked to O2. A post in a different forum noted that if you insert a sim card from another network in, you get a message asking for a network unlock code.

(I would post links to the relevant message, but I don't have enough posts and the board won't let me. Sorry.)
    I have an Irish Pre without contract.

I can confirm it does not not work with a Belgian (Mobistar) sim. It is possible to bypass the activation using webOS Internals Meta-Doctor and so use wifi to browse, email etc. Trying to use the phone gives the message asking for a network unlock code.

However I have not been able to set up a Palm profile, access the App Catalogue or download updates - but others have reported being able to do so. Although I believe this may have been with German phones.
    Last edited by morgmel; 10/18/2009 at 04:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I have a Irish Pre without contract also. Would be great to get this unlocked. As when you put in another Network SIM you get a message asking for the network unlocking code. http://willdeasy.com/wp-content/uplo...-10_233656.jpg
    I wonder if the sim-lock is a hardware or software lock. What would happen if you'd flash the Irisih Pre with the German Doctor? Would it remove the simlock?
    I'm guessing it's hardware (flash based) though...
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by symos View Post
    I'm guessing it's hardware (flash based) though...
    Excuse my stupidity, but if its a "hardware/flash based" lock, does this mean there is absolutely no way to unlock it?
    I thought ALL simlocks imposed on mobile phone units were in place via software, hence the ability to, somehow, unlock all phones, sooner or later.
    Since there is a prompt for an unlock code on the Pre, we can assume it CAN be unlocked.

What I'm saying above is that the locked/unlocked information and "software" is probably stored on a separate flash chip, independent of the OS rom. Otherwise you could buy an Irish or UK Pre and flash it with a German doctor rom to unlock it! Or alter the UK or Irish OS to remove the simlock.

I don't know if anybody's tried this yet, but I assume it wouldn't work.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Was supposed to wait for the QWERTY-version but my current Treo aint feeling very well so I will try and see if I can get a german Pre to work here in sweden.

Ive compared the settings for my operator with with the 1.1.3 lists published here, and everything but the IP-number for MMS seems to be correct so it will interesting to see if I can get it work or not.
    Last edited by Andreas; 10/19/2009 at 07:32 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    For all you Swiss out there, a Sunrise simcard works perfectly on the German O2 Palm Pre, you can activate and then upgrade to 1.1.3 no problem. Everything works fine. Did not work with the Swisscom card (boo!), i will have to try again with the new software.
    I can also confirm that the Danish carrier Telenor(former known as Sonofon) works with the German Palm Pre.
    for everyone in doubt about SIM-locks: it's a function of the Baseband Processor, which has it's own "firmware", though a BP firmware upgrade probably still won't fix it. The carrier locks the BP to it's own network by configuring the BP to only connect to a certain carrier network code. Unlocking simply means reconfiguring the BP by giving the Unlock code, which depends on a combination of the carrier code and the device's IMEI-code. This way you can only retrieve an unlock code by supplying your IMEI-code to your carrier (with which they can check how long you already have the device) and they compute your unlock-code.
    Factory unlocked GSM Palm Pre available from Expansys HK
    Palm Pre WebOS Smartphone 8GB Videos & Comments - eXpansys Hong Kong
    HK$5510 = US$710
    Didn't say anything about whether it is pre-activated.
    Thought I'd mention the link in this thread as well..
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Would the german pre work with USA AT&T? I dont have to do any unlocking or hacking? I can just put my sim card in, select english, and it will work? Can somebody please confirm this? Thanks
    Just received an update from Expansys, you can purchase a GSM unlocked Palm Pre from them for the princely sum of £499. Hit up the link for some sim unlocked, but pricey Pre loving.

Buy a Palm Pre WebOS Smartphone 8GB (QWERTZ, Multi-Lingual, Unlocked), #0872873-9873723874 - eXpansys UK

Note - Its must be the German version as its using the QWERTZ and not QWERTY keyboard.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pattersson View Post
    I can also confirm that the Danish carrier Telenor(former known as Sonofon) works with the German Palm Pre.
    Very nice! I have CBB in Denmark, so i guess it'll work "out of the box" for me also - when i get my Pre

I will keep you informed.

Trekkie
    Quote Originally Posted by spectralfish View Post
    Would the german pre work with USA AT&T? I dont have to do any unlocking or hacking? I can just put my sim card in, select english, and it will work? Can somebody please confirm this? Thanks
    Yes, I can confirm just received mine today probably one of the first in the country and it will work with AT&T with no hacks necessary. Activation was easy, data connection works, phone everything except for me the most important part 3g. The phone supports it yet there appears to be a lock on the 3g part or more to the point o2 Germany did not put in the att 3g settings and as posted earlier you cannot manually configure them.

So until one of the gurus comes out with a hack your stuck with slow edge for data and for almost $900.00 this did not make me happy. Kevin
    3G doesn't work as in can't connect to data or the network icon constantly shows E and not 3G?
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 10/20/2009 at 02:45 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    3G doesn't work as in can't connect to data or the network icon constantly shows E and not 3G?
    It can't or won't to be more precise connect to data. Under phone, preferences, you can set the network type to 3g only and though it should easily connect to att 3g where I live it does an endless network search and can't find the network and the bars on the phone disappear completely. If on automatic mode it chooses to connect to 2g not 3g so it is quite obvious o2 Germany left these settings off of the phone and you can't change them.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast