Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    According to this post, a German Sim-lick free Pre is not so "free" after all??
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?t=208757
    I remember the French sim-lock free Iphone had some protection against using it with a foreign sim as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by pjim View Post
    And the final thing I'm pondering is the use of Palm profile service and webOS updates. I can't see any reason why Palm would make impossible to use the service outside of the countries where the Pre will be offered but that's something I would like confirmation on directly from Palm before I buy anything.
    I am using a Sprint CDMA Pre in Australia (the CDMA phone part doesn't work of course - I'm hoping to get an unlocked German Pre and swap the keyboards), and I am able to access the Palm profile and webOS updates over the wifi connection.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    good to hear
    I'm sure if there's a will there will be a way. If someone can get a Pre on Verizon, eventually the Pre will get a GSM data connection.

And if I'm not mistaken, it was spotted that the Pre already has built-in settings for certain GSM carriers, I remember seeing Rogers APN seetings are already there. I'm sure it's just an XML file, changing the APN name.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I'm sure if there's a will there will be a way. If someone can get a Pre on Verizon, eventually the Pre will get a GSM data connection.

And if I'm not mistaken, it was spotted that the Pre already has built-in settings for certain GSM carriers, I remember seeing Rogers APN seetings are already there. I'm sure it's just an XML file, changing the APN name.
    MMS Settings for Telstra Australia have been in the CDMA Pre firmware from day 1.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Edit: Oops missed ToniCipriani's post, sorry.
    My quote confirms this. I'm looking for that list, well actually I wanna know whether Dutch provider KPN is in that list.

And now for some potential good news:

Quite interesting is the fact that it's not possible to configure the APNs, MMS and SMS settings but - according to sources at O2 Germany - a wide range of foreign networks are automatically supported by predefined profiles. Therefore a T-Mobile or Vodafone SIM card should work as straight as a O2 SIM card does. However, it's not yet confirmed if Austrian and Swiss SIM cards are supported as well.
    Found here: the::unwired - AVAILABLE: O2 Germany first to sell the GSM Palm Pre

Anyone with a German Pre who can delve into the firmware to check which providers are supported?
    Anybody know anything about this Negri Electronics?
    They accept pre-orders of a Palm Pre GSM (Carrier Unlocked). Price $579.50.
    Website states: "This product is expected to be in stock on Friday 20 November, 2009." According to the site they do ship to countries outside of US/Canada.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomoqv View Post
    Anybody know anything about this Negri Electronics?
    They accept pre-orders of a Palm Pre GSM (Carrier Unlocked). Price $579.50.
    Website states: "This product is expected to be in stock on Friday 20 November, 2009." According to the site they do ship to countries outside of US/Canada.
    Don't know em. But I use the Reseller Rating site from time to time:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Negri_Electronics

There was a single review there:
    8/26/08 10:36 PM
    i recently pre-ordered the blackberry bold unlocked at&t version with ryan, and since no one seems to know when that will actually be out, he has offered an upgrade to the csl unlocked version which will ship sooner. i was a huge pita, but he answered every question i had personally, which i don't see much these days. i will definitely be coming back to negrielectronics for my future phone needs - and i go thru phones like underwear! thanks ryan!!
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    MMS Settings for Telstra Australia have been in the CDMA Pre firmware from day 1.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod - I'm thinking of getting my hands on a German Palm Pre - what do you think the chances are of getting around the fact that users are stating that one cannot manually edit carrier settings. I'm assuming that the settings being referred to are data settings..
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitetower View Post
    Hi Rod - I'm thinking of getting my hands on a German Palm Pre - what do you think the chances are of getting around the fact that users are stating that one cannot manually edit carrier settings. I'm assuming that the settings being referred to are data settings..
    No idea sorry. I'll let you know when I get one.

-- Rod
    Thanks for replying Rod - where are you planning on purchasing one from?
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitetower View Post
    Thanks for replying Rod - where are you planning on purchasing one from?
    I'm hoping to ask Palm to provide unlocked GSM developer units.

Failing that, I will import one from Germany via my colleagues at freesmartphone.org ...

-- Rod
    Hi Rod,

I'm planning to get a German Pre to India next month (I can live with the z-y swapped keyboard). Do you think the Pre will work in India? We have Airtel and Vodafone here.

Thanks!
    -Abhi
    As I have a german unit on hand, you guys could point me to a step by step instruction on how to read the firmware out or whatever is needed for your research.
    Quote Originally Posted by hux View Post
    As I have a german unit on hand, you guys could point me to a step by step instruction on how to read the firmware out or whatever is needed for your research.
    As soon as a webOS Doctor is available, please add the URL and md5sum to this page:

Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    Hi Rod,

I'm planning to get a German Pre to India next month (I can live with the z-y swapped keyboard). Do you think the Pre will work in India? We have Airtel and Vodafone here.

Thanks!
    -Abhi
    I'd suggest you keep an eye on the webos-internals people, who might be able to tell you
    - if the necessary network config is in there for data
    or
    - if a patch exists to manually enter the config
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hux View Post
    Go here: https://ws.palm.com/SupportDownload/...47&cc=de&lc=de

And type in your serial number. (Can anyone who's done this fill in what happens after that?)

Or can anyone "hack" the URL (from Bell and Sprint) based on this?:
    webOS™ Doctor für Palm® Pre™ (p100eww) - Build 108.100, webOS 1.1.3
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Also check out this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/worldwi...ictured-3.html

Apparently the German Pre only has settings for the German providers.
    I have acquired an Irish Pre.
    Putting the serial number in the link provided by Goyena gives a ' not valid serial' error.
    I notice that editing the link to include - Home&sp=48 - gives a spanish version, presumably for the handsets available in spain
    maybe the UK and Irish version(s) will only come online on friday....
    Quote Originally Posted by morgmel View Post
    I have acquired an Irish Pre.
    Putting the serial number in the link provided by Goyena gives a ' not valid serial' error.
    I notice that editing the link to include - Home&sp=48 - gives a spanish version, presumably for the handsets available in spain
    maybe the UK and Irish version(s) will only come online on friday....
    I presume you updated the wiki page with this info?

-- Rod
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast