Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 210
  1. #181  
    Hello, yes, I have bought the Pre from other user in some forums. But without contract in Movistar, I donīt know, you can buy with points

    The email of the unlocker
    gsmbrands@gmail.com
  2. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #182  
    So, how would one go about buying a pre from movistar without a contract? Specifically someone not even on the same continent. Is that feasible? i.e.

    1. Buy from movistar
    2. have shipped to own country
    3. email unlocker, pay, get unlocked
    4. Obviously put in english mode instead of spanish
    5. voice and data and 3g working?

    or am i being naive
  3. #183  
    On a similar note, I've been wondering if it is possible for me to buy a pre from O2 UK (I live in the UK), then use their sim to create a profile, then just use a rebel sim and pay as you go sim card. Would I still have to pay for the contract if I did it like this?
  4. #184  
    about 3G on the German Palm Pre on the Aust. Telstra network (you can read my earlier posts about this) - It seems to be a 3G coverage issue out where I live that is causing the Pre to connect to Edge only. My iPhone always showed the '3G' icon where I live and hence assumed that the Pre should be picking that up too. About 5 mins out from where I live, 3G Roaming connects and away I go. Not sure whether it is connecting to Telstra NextG though and not sure why the Pre cannot connect to 3G whereas the iPhone could/can.

    Any suggestions on this?

    and on a side-note - auto-correct does not seem to be enabled when typing put a message - how do I enable this??
  5. Goyena's Avatar
    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
       #185  
    Apparently (with the help of PreCentral forums) the German Pre works well in France...see here for a full review (in French).
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
  6. #186  
    Bought a German O2 Pre and have it running fine on Telenor DK (Denmark). Its on 1.1.3 and was thinking about trying out the sprint 1.2.1 version. Do i have any chance it will still run on my Telenor SIM?
  7. #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuborgmann View Post
    Bought a German O2 Pre and have it running fine on Telenor DK (Denmark). Its on 1.1.3 and was thinking about trying out the sprint 1.2.1 version. Do i have any chance it will still run on my Telenor SIM?
    Gave it a shot and it works fine.
  8. Mavoz's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #188  
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitetower View Post
    about 3G on the German Palm Pre on the Aust. Telstra network (you can read my earlier posts about this) - It seems to be a 3G coverage issue out where I live that is causing the Pre to connect to Edge only. My iPhone always showed the '3G' icon where I live and hence assumed that the Pre should be picking that up too. About 5 mins out from where I live, 3G Roaming connects and away I go. Not sure whether it is connecting to Telstra NextG though and not sure why the Pre cannot connect to 3G whereas the iPhone could/can.
    thanks whitetower...just sent you a pm about this too....

    so by the sound of it the Pre is all good to go on the Telstra Network..and full nextg speed is available where available....

    I think you've got me all set now to order one in too! Thank you...if you can let me know where you got yours that would be great! Thanks!
  9. #189  
    Telstra NextG UMTS is on 850MHz, a band that the GSM Pre does not support.

    I suspect it was roaming on another network, not Telstra NextG.

    -- Rod
  10. #190  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinrirvine View Post
    I think you answered your own question about stupid or not. I mean no disrespect by this but read all the threads.
    IT IS NOT POSSIBLE, PERIOD, TO MANUALLY CONFIGURE THE DATA SETTINGS FOR THE GERMAN UNLOCKED PRE. THEY ARE PRE-PROGRAMMED INTO THE PHONE AND CANNOT BE ALTERED UNLESS YOUR A MASTER OF HACKING PHONES. Even then it is simply not possible nor wll it ever be even with the so called update in November that allows you to manually configure the data settings. IT IS A DUAL BAND, NOT TRI BAND UMTS PHONE, I HAVE THE PALM PDF MANUAL, 900/2100 FOR THE OTHER SIDE OF THE POND AS I LIKE TO SAY AND NOTHING YOU DO WILL CHANGE THIS FACT. PEOPLE GET A DOSE OF REALITY HERE. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. KEVIN
    For the other two aussies that have their Pre what are your views on this?

    I'm trying to get an understanding on whether when I am connecting to the Telstra network it is on their NextG network (i.e 850Mhz). The above suggests that the German Pre is dual band (900/2100) rather than the advertised quadband. Could this be the case why I am not getting 3G at my house whereas with the iPhone it wasn't an issue? and when I travel 5 mins from home it connects to 3G but it roams??
  11. #191  
    GSM/UMTS Pre is quad-band GSM (2G) and dual-band (900/2100) UMTS (3G).

    -- Rod
  12. #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    GSM/UMTS Pre is quad-band GSM (2G) and dual-band (900/2100) UMTS (3G).

    -- Rod
    Thanks Rod - but I'm a bit confused! Advertised specs (i.e gsmarena list the following: 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100

    doesn't this then cover Telstra NextG?
  13. #193  
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitetower View Post
    Thanks Rod - but I'm a bit confused! Advertised specs (i.e gsmarena list the following: 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100

    doesn't this then cover Telstra NextG?
    This is confusing!
    Read what this guy says about 3Telstra and the roaming.
    The New Palm Pre (Part 2) - Mobile Phones - Whirlpool Forums
  14. Mavoz's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #194  
    this certainly is confusing!!

    Can anyone confirm whether the German Palm Pre will run at full speed with Telstra? ie. Next G?

    I guess the basic question is this...if you import a German Palm Pre into Australia and use it on the Telstra network will you end up with a Pre that is restricted to slower network speeds than say the iPhone 3GS??
  15. #195  
    Quote Originally Posted by acebravo View Post
    This is confusing!
    Read what this guy says about 3Telstra and the roaming.
    The New Palm Pre (Part 2) - Mobile Phones - Whirlpool Forums
    I was confused but it now seems a bit clearer - as kevinrirvine indicated it looks like the specs of the EU model only supports UMTS 900/2100 Listed at the link provided:

    Search | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

    The NA (North American) model that will soon be released will support UMTS 850. So it looks like Telstra NextG is a no-goer for us on the Telstra network

    I'm pretty dissapointed (at myself too as I didn't really follow though kevinirvine's comments and understand them as well as I should have).

    Palm Pre for sale methinks....seriously!!
  16. Mavoz's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #196  
    thanks for the clarification whitetower...that sux mate...sorry...can you jump ship to another carrier...would that solve the problem?

    Palm really do need to get this phone available worldwide with multiple networks....

    I wonder how the future model supporting UMTS 850 will actually go when we travel back the other way ie. through Germany....

    Surely a business class phone needs to be able to just work on multiple networks in multiple countries...
  17. #197  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    thanks for the clarification whitetower...that sux mate...sorry...can you jump ship to another carrier...would that solve the problem?

    Palm really do need to get this phone available worldwide with multiple networks....

    I wonder how the future model supporting UMTS 850 will actually go when we travel back the other way ie. through Germany....

    Surely a business class phone needs to be able to just work on multiple networks in multiple countries...
    I hear ya Mavoz.

    It;s not a massive issue as when at home I use wi-fi so all good and when out I'm usually always in an area that picks up 3Telstra (roam @ 2100). There are no other carriers that can do better than that in terms of speed. It would have been nice to be able to access the NextG network as I found it a lot speedier when I sued my 3GS.

    Not a massive issue as I said but enough for me to sell and go back to my 3GS I think

    I'l list on eBay unless you or any other aussies are keen to buy off me. Pm me if you or anyone else is interested!
  18. #198  
    Does anybody know what frequency 3 / Hutchison use in Australia for 3G? Or, do any Austrlian networks use 850?
  19. #199  
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitetower View Post
    I hear ya Mavoz.

    It;s not a massive issue as when at home I use wi-fi so all good and when out I'm usually always in an area that picks up 3Telstra (roam @ 2100). There are no other carriers that can do better than that in terms of speed. It would have been nice to be able to access the NextG network as I found it a lot speedier when I sued my 3GS.

    Not a massive issue as I said but enough for me to sell and go back to my 3GS I think

    I'l list on eBay unless you or any other aussies are keen to buy off me. Pm me if you or anyone else is interested!
    Whitetower I'm in Melbourne as well and have been following your progress closely.. very exciting! Have you tried inserting a different carrier's network to see if this resolves the speed issue?

    I believe that all other non-Telstra carriers (Optus/Voda/Hutchinson 3) operate at 2100 GSM Coverage Maps | Australia.
  20. HakanO's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #200  
    Hi,

    I'm going to Germany on Saturday to buy my Pre.

    I was thinking of activating my Pre in the O2 shop using there SIM-card to avoid possible activation problems when getting back to Denmark and Sweden.

    My questions are - do I have an option to select Englisg language even with a German O2 SIM in the phone and second question - are there any issues changing to another SIM-card (other carrier) when activating using the O2 SIM-card.

    Appreciate the advice.

    Cheers
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions