Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    After thinking about it I'm kind of curious what the logic is in Palm adding a vertical keyboard to the Pre. Previous Palm devices were candybar style phones where a vertical keyboard made sense. But with the Pre being a slider phone the keybaord is hidden by default.

I don't know how many people type one handed. But usually if you're typing one handed it's because you're also busy doing something else (like driving) and it would be a distraction anyway.

I type with both my thumbs. I assume quite a few people probably do. In which case a larger horizontal keyboard would have been better. But not just for the larger button size, words and sentences are also horizontal in nature. At least in English. They are better suited to a horizontal screen.

So why stick with a vertical physical keyboard and not go horizontal?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I know what you mean. The phone shoulda slid out from the side not the bottom if you ask me. But it is what it is, if the VK would load a little quicker i'd totally dump using the hardware keyboard alltogeather.
    I actually prefer the vertical keyboard such as with bb, treos, having it horizontal would be just as annoying as not having a virtual keyboard when your in landscape
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I've been using the slider keyboard since I got the Pre, but I'm planning on trying the OSK out tonight. With the patches for landscape SMS and email Idon't see why this won't work. I'mnot an early adopter becasue I don't like being the guinea pig, I like when other people find the bugs and fix 'em before I get there. I'm hoping enough time and testing have passed so I don't have issues with the OSK. Hve you tried this out yet?
    Palm wants you to be able to use the phone one handed, which wouldn't be possible with a horizontal keyboard. That's the logic.

One handed use is a core Palm computing philosophy.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by zna03 View Post
    I know what you mean. The phone shoulda slid out from the side not the bottom if you ask me. But it is what it is, if the VK would load a little quicker i'd totally dump using the hardware keyboard alltogeather.
    If the VK would actually appear below the card and not actually cover up the conversation, I'd give it more of a chance. For now, it's a little tough to use if you can't see what you're replying to. I use it to bang out a word or two if the phone is on the Touchstone and I don't want to slide it open.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Palm wants you to be able to use the phone one handed, which wouldn't be possible with a horizontal keyboard. That's the logic.

One handed use is a core Palm computing philosophy.
    I don't understand that logic. What are you going to be doing with your other hand while concentrating on typing?
    Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    I don't understand that logic. What are you going to be doing with your other hand while concentrating on typing?
    Have you owned a Palm device before? Trust me it happens a lot.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I am not sure of the logic behind the keyboard location but I prefer verticle. I like the fact that the phone is almost always held the same way when in use. Not sure why but it seems better to me the way it is.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I think the reasoning comes from how Palm wants the user to interact with the phone's screen in a vertical fashion while operating webOS. It would be handy when typing in a web page or email though.
    I would love a horizontal keyboard. Simply because then the keys could be spaced better and possibly larger. This is beneficial to me because I have large hands, it's hard enough typing on a regular keyboard, so getting any help at all in the mobile department is a plus. Not saying it is impossible to work with this keyboard, just takes longer for me to type. I can't stand VK's, I'm way too clumsy for those. One more reason I didn't get an iPhone.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    Well you don't always have 2 free hands when you want to text or email on your phone. You could be in Wal-Mart waiting in line holding your items when a text comes in that you want to reply to. Thats just one single example. I am sure if i took the time I could easily come up with more.

That said, they could have still used a horizontal keyboard and added a virtual keyboard for one hand operation. It doesn't take a rocket scientist. But we have what we have. I almost exchanged the Pre for the Touch Pro 2 just because of the laerger screen and the superb keyboard and virtual keyboard but....well I stil have the Pre so far.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I applied the OSK patch last night and I'm not all that impressed. This may be redundnat but here goes:

The backspace button didn't work while typing on a webpage (PreCentral). I think this is a known issue, but it seems really basic to me.

As someone above said, the keyboard takes upabout 2/3 of the screen in landscape, the only time you'd really need the OSK. I can't even see what I'm typing half the time.

While in email I typed the first letters of my contact's name, tried to select him with a tap and got no response. Wierd issue. I turned it back to vertical and the problem when away, but once again, why use the OSK when the phone is vertical?

It's cool that it exists and it may be a big deal to some, but I'm removing the patch today, as wel as the tweeks for landscape email and messaging. There's no point if the OSK doesn't function well.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Here's my two cents typed from my Pre... Had the Pre come with a horizontal keyboard, I wouldn't have bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroven Taulrok View Post
    I would love a horizontal keyboard. Simply because then the keys could be spaced better and possibly larger. This is beneficial to me because I have large hands, it's hard enough typing on a regular keyboard, so getting any help at all in the mobile department is a plus. Not saying it is impossible to work with this keyboard, just takes longer for me to type. I can't stand VK's, I'm way too clumsy for those. One more reason I didn't get an iPhone.
    Same here...it's almost a difficulty to use the keyboard, and I feel that the one on my old 700P was better spaced. They should release a horizontal version for us larger handed...could call it the Pre Ham Fist.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Megazac View Post
    I think the reasoning comes from how Palm wants the user to interact with the phone's screen in a vertical fashion while operating webOS. It would be handy when typing in a web page or email though.
    agree 100% . I hate it when on land scape and i get a dialog button etc. it takes over half of the screen. things just flow way way better with a vertically orientation on the OS.
    On a phone, you need fast text entry much more times than longh text entry. Adding a contact, answering a sms or email, searching anything. On landscape kb, you have bigger keys, but more difficult "start to text" proccess. If you think about it, is better thought on vertical for a phone, althought a landscape kb is more similar to computer kb...

And every document is vertical too...
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I often have a pen in one hand while I'm using my Pre with the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Here's my two cents typed from my Pre... Had the Pre come with a horizontal keyboard, I wouldn't have bought it.
    Ditto.

Well, I haven't got it yet as I'm waiting for the UK launch next week but I am definately getting one.

I spent some time using a Windows Mobile device with a slide out, landscape, keyboard and I hated it. I thought I would like it but I just found it cumbersome to use. WinMo was a knightmare but, that aside, it was a pain whenever I wanted to make a call. I had to either pull out a stylus and click through menus or slide out the keyboard to type (two handed) the name, only to slide it back in again while I was on the call.

I went back to the Treo 680 (previously had a 600 and 650 before the windows device) just as soon as I could even though it was essentially the same as the 650 I had had 2 years before.

I'm not sure how it will be in practise but I can imagine sliding the Pre open with one hand and typing the first few letters of the name I want with my thumb.

As for virtual keyboards, please, if I was happy with one of those I would have had an iPhone by now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast