Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    My Pre finally got to the point that I need consider a fix from Palm. I am just out of the 30 day return limit, so I need to use warrenty. Would Sprint or Bestbuy do a trade right in the store?

I really don't want to be without a Pre. If I have to, I could reactivate my 650.

I also wonder how long it would take Palm to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    My Pre finally got to the point that I need consider a fix from Palm. I am just out of the 30 day return limit, so I need to use warrenty. Would Sprint or Bestbuy do a trade right in the store?

I really don't want to be without a Pre. If I have to, I could reactivate my 650.

I also wonder how long it would take Palm to fix it.
    Did you buy your phone from Sprint or Best Buy?
    go 2 sprint store.

if u bought from sprint store, might get it same day if in stock, worse case next day.
    they will take old pre u r exchanging, so BACKUP your photos on your pc and make sure u rememember your palm profile email and password. & i would make sure the phone u return has a full erase done after u get your new "refurbished" phone that works. on my 5th. good thing i got the insurance
    BB doesn't do swaps to my knowledge. If you have their warranty they will send it out for repair. They provide a loaner phone but they are not obligated to give you a smartphone.

On a positive note, BB sent my Palm 800W out for repair, which they couldn't fix and they replaced it one for one with the Hero when it comes out.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    hell naw, sprint stores are jerks when it comes to this. You have to call Insurion, (the phone insurace company) and they will send u a new one, it usually will take one day. yeah i broke mine on tue and i had it by thur. morn. they can also charge the $100 straight to your sprint bill
    My camera went on my phone. I bought my phone june 6th. The sprint tech center made me come back the next day and gave me a new pre. Cost=priceless. lol. Should get a new pre every four months. forgot how shiny they look out of the box. LOVE my PRE!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pmpdaddyt View Post
    hell naw, sprint stores are jerks when it comes to this. You have to call Insurion, (the phone insurace company) and they will send u a new one, it usually will take one day. yeah i broke mine on tue and i had it by thur. morn. they can also charge the $100 straight to your sprint bill
    That is true when you break it as you stated. Not true when it is a manufacturer defect.
    I had a volume button that stopped working after 30 days, but I had to wait for a refurb from the sprint store (about 5 days)
    u should be fine go to a sprint store they normally alsways exchange phone at least in my case they did and god knows i exchange a lot. well not anymore :-)
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I'm starting to think I should have bought the insurance. My phone hasnt broken yet (knock on wood). But I am worried it will with as many other peoples failing them.

what will Sprint do for me if my phone has a manufacturer defect? I dont have the insurance and I have a launch-day Pre. (So I'm way outside the 30 days)
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pmpdaddyt View Post
    asurion is who provides insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I'm starting to think I should have bought the insurance. My phone hasnt broken yet (knock on wood). But I am worried it will with as many other peoples failing them.

what will Sprint do for me if my phone has a manufacturer defect? I dont have the insurance and I have a launch-day Pre. (So I'm way outside the 30 days)
    You should've gotten insurance; it is an advantage we have over iPhone users (the ability to insure the device)

OP did you get insurance? If you didn't Sprint will not cover the Manf. warranty the Manuf. has to do it.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the reply. Looks like Sprint store is a better choice, but I bought at BB. I will try Sprint first and see what they say. If not, I guess, I have to use an old phone until BB fix it.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I was able to exchange mine twice within the 30 days. I'm not sure if you can after that but I've heard that Palm will replace it within a year, you just have to ship it to them.
    OP, I think you need to factor in that every Sprint store is different...since each is staffed by different folks, including different managers. Those of us with Pre's are also all different...as are the ways in which we present ourselves when we walk in such a store...and that will also affect the experience.

What you read here is anecdotal. There is no guaranteed experience. That said, my anecdote is positive. I walked into the Sprint Store where I bought three Pre's on launch day and asked to see the manager. I then showed him the bubbles under my screen (dozens of them, very visible to the naked eye)...and I asked him what he thought. I didn't demand an exchange..or even ask for one...and I was out of the refund window.

The manager rubbed his finger over the bubbles, determined that they were under the screen and not scratches, and then said "no problem, we will exchange it right now." They gave me a brand new in-box Pre with all accessories. I asked them if they wanted to keep the accessories since I hadn't brought mine in from home and he told me not to worry about it...just keep them.

Thus, I wouldn't say that they will never do an in-store exchange. By the way, I also have Asurion insurance through Sprint.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I just got out of a Sprint store that can do service. They would not exchange it. They said that the slider problem I had is normal. So I wonder how bad it has to be to get a fix?

I know it sometimes depends on person, but I want get some inputs on what's reasonable.

My slider twisted out of place about 3mm, and I can see the gap the two halves were widened over a small ledge in the top left corner. The gap ends up about 2mm. The guy in the front said it is not affecting operation, so they are not going to exchange it. I don't buy that argument, but I don't want be unreasonal either. Your opinion and experience are welcome.