View Poll Results: The ablility to create individual categories and color code for calendar events?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • I feel strongly about this expanding this functionality

55 38.73%
  • I miss the Treo for this

26 18.31%
  • It perfect the way it is

27 19.01%
  • It doesn't matter to me

44 30.99%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    1. Each scroll wheel requires a tap to activate
    2. The kinetic movement of the values makes it tricky to select. There aren't enough values in them to justify kinetic scrolling. And it shouldn't be a list in the first place.
    3. Even AM/PM is a list. It should be a toggle.
    4. Day values are only numbers, no indication of what day it is
    Exactly. hparsons, the effect of the combination of these "cool for cool's sake" design elements is that it takes longer to create/edit a calendar event than it took in PalmOS. There is an entry interface element that selects dates with fewer taps, more accuracy when picking a specific day of the week, and less "adjusting" your aim on a scroll wheel. It's called a month view popup, and Palm used it for 13 years before abandoning it, presumably because the iPhone doesn't use one. Neither dateBK nor Access patented the month view calendar popup, so that excuse won't fly. And as for selecting times, PalmOS used something similar to a scroll wheel, but more than 1 value was visible to be selected at a time. It was more like a picklist, and also worked faster. Again, not patented -- it could have easily been prettied up for WebOS.
    About the day view transition lag: there is no problem sending a request to Google for updates between days, in the background. It can be done async. Because Palm now uses the day screen itself as a navigation element, it must respond to user swipe gesture at all times, regardless of what it's requesting in the background.
    Also an excellent point. Installing the patch that makes the month view your default calendar view helps a lot, as does the Agenda homebrew app. But again it shows a lack of appreciation for PIM efficiency that is simply shocking for PalmOS users. I maintain that this is a big mistake on Palm's part.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    For me the Pre's weakest point is indeed the calendar program. I was severely spoiled by the DateBook programs and hope that the folks that made DateBook, PIMLICO, do decide to support the WEB OS. I have years of data that I would love to have at hand sitting on my desktop. My contact with them has indicated that because the DateBk program is so robust that the WEB OS may not support it. They also indicated that they wanted to see if the WEB OS would become more than a niche product. Lets hope it does.

PALM's PDA's were centered on the PIM function. The advent of connectivity, smart phones, iPods, and later the iPhone, is what caused the PALM world to become diminished. I really hope that the PRE and PIXI restore PALM to what they were in the past, and launch them over the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Exactly. hparsons, the effect of the combination of these "cool for cool's sake" design elements is that it takes longer to create/edit a calendar event than it took in PalmOS. There is an entry interface element that selects dates with fewer taps, more accuracy when picking a specific day of the week, and less "adjusting" your aim on a scroll wheel. It's called a month view popup, and Palm used it for 13 years before abandoning it, presumably because the iPhone doesn't use one.
    To tell you the truth, I don't remember what you're talking about. Possibly in the way I used DateBk, but might be that I've just forgotten about it; however, I will go back and look at my wife's Centro to compare that to the Month View button on the Pre.

In the meantime, have you checked out the Quick Event app?
    At the risk of sounding like I'm promoting a work (well, I guess I am, but it's not mine, and I'm not getting anything for talking about it), take a look at the attached pictures.

Picture 1 shows me entering the event. It's worth noting that as I typed 11/1, the Pre read Sun, Nov 1 2009, showing the day of the week (previously mentioned as something missing in the standard calendar program).

Picture 2 shows that as I continued typing 11/13, the display changed.

Picture 3 shows that once I selected Submit, not only was the entry completed, but it gave me a "Tap Here" link that took me directly into the standard app. From there, I was able to add any of the "normal" appointment stuff (including making this a complex repeating event).

I say this not only to tout this particular app, but to show how the standard app can be enhanced.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    In the meantime, have you checked out the Quick Event app?
    Yes, I have. It is a very good app, but it is in no way a viable substitute for what Palm should have put in the webOS calendar app from the beginning. I've also tried to use Agenda (alone and with Quick Event) as my main webOS calendar interface. Good, but just not good enough.