View Poll Results: The ablility to create individual categories and color code for calendar events?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • I feel strongly about this expanding this functionality

55 38.73%
  • I miss the Treo for this

26 18.31%
  • It perfect the way it is

27 19.01%
  • It doesn't matter to me

44 30.99%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by buchkoba00 View Post
    I can't quite understand how someone needs to color code their calendar to death. And yes, I'm someone that has multiple calendars to run my life.

You are probably not very organized I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by buchkoba00 View Post
    "Useless" seems like one hell of an exaggeration.
    Ok, how about:

I use my Pre calendar less because of the lack of several basic but important functionalities. This calendar should have everything from the last phone Treo 755P + more i.e. synergy etc. (not less).
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Homebrew Apps: Agenda + Quick Event = Almost total Replacement of Pre Calendar.

I rarely need to use the stock calendar anymore because of these 2 events. The icon for Agenda even updates every day with the current Date so you can move your Calendar icon off your Quick Launch Bar if you want to keep the current date!
    Cool, Im gonna download these and see how they work for me. It's sad that it would have to come to this.

Soon from now we would need an app or a tweak to dial a phone number too. not good palm. basics should never be minimalized. Apps are for ADDED Features not for basic Functionality. Such things like these should always be Built-in, that's Product Design 101.
    There are 3 big problems with the webOS calendar than Palm needs to address:

1. SPEED -- the 1.2 update helped a lot, but switching between calendar views (month, day, week, whatever) is still slow. Perhaps the only thing that will really help this is when Palm finally gets around to using the GPU?

2. DATE SCROLL WHEELS -- this seems to be the trendy entry interface for all the "cool" mobile OS these days: iPhone, Android, and now webOS. Personally, I can't stand the damn things. PalmOS used a month calendar popup, and all you needed was 1 tap to pick a date. (Yes, I am well aware that you can use the month view to create a new event. But you can't use the month view to edit the date or set multi-day or recurring events, only date scroll wheels.) To make things even more strange, webOS date scroll wheels don't show the day of the week. Why this omission? iPhone and Android wheels do.

3. NO CALENDAR SEARCH -- there's no search ability within the calendar app, and "universal" search doesn't search the calendar either. No other word describes this oversight better than "ridiculous."

I want to love the Pre, but the combination of these 3 calendar issues almost makes that impossible. I can no longer afford to wait for Palm or some 3rd party developer to fix such basic problems. The calendar app is obviously not high on Palm's priority list these days.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Quote Originally Posted by stxmassive_2000 View Post
    Cool, Im gonna download these and see how they work for me. It's sad that it would have to come to this.

Soon from now we would need an app or a tweak to dial a phone number too. not good palm. basics should never be minimalized. Apps are for ADDED Features not for basic Functionality. Such things like these should always be Built-in, that's Product Design 101.
    I would agree with you that the Pre's calendar has some shortcomings. I, too, would love it if the month view had colors like the rest of the views. I wish it was a little bit faster.

However, I think what you're failing to see is that what you see as basic functionality simply doesn't matter to MOST people. Long-term Treo users are probably a minority of the people using the Pre. As offensive as the old-school palm loyalists might find it, they aren't the people Palm is going after. The Pre is Palm's attempt to EXPAND their user base. Sadly, Treos weren't all that popular anymore. Treos are considered antiquated bricks with antiquated software by most people. Treo users love them. I loved all 4 of my Treos (1 centro). Palm doesn't seem to care.

In other words, what YOU consider basic, Palm does not. They've clearly shifted their focus. YOU might not like syncing to the cloud, but Palm has made the decision to make this phone cloud-centric. If you were willing to use the Pre in conjunction with Google calendar or some other cloud-based calendar, you'd see that it works pretty well. It works differently, much differently, but it works pretty well. It is what it is.

You're beating a dead horse that Palm doesn't care about. If you're waiting for Palm to change their direction, you're going to be waiting a long time. They might add some of the functionality you (and I, to some degree) are looking for, but don't expect them to go back to the way things were. That ship has sailed.
    and because palm does not seem to care, I bought a hero to try today. Still have my pre....but testing the hero.
    Well, then what's Palm trying to do? What do they care about? There is no way they are going to beat Apple on its own turf.

Rubinstein says Palm is going to innovate on this platform for the next 10 years. McNamee raved about all kinds of intelligent reminders.

Seriously, what else is there for Palm to do but create good apps? Palm is breaking its own UI guidelines all over the place.

I hate those scrolling wheels to select the date and time, that was just lifted thoughtlessly from the iPhone. But its own implementation is even worse, because you have to also tap just to move those wheels. Palm used to eliminate taps, now it relishes them.

I'm just waiting for someone to ask what's the big deal about extra taps.

BTW, it's even worse on Android. On the widget there you have to tap into each of day month or year field, and then type the value in. Or else, tap plus and minus signs to increase or decrease.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I hate the wheels as well and I also hate that when you're in week view and pick a day, if you try to swipe back, you get taken to the card view - you have to click the week view button again to get to week view. It's inconsistent.

In regards to the original topic, I guess I can understand if you like to create categories on the fly or don't use Google Calendar. Myself, I use Google Calendar and so I feel as though the calendar already has because it integrates perfectly fine with the 9 calendars I sync to it...well almost perfectly fine, I had to have 3 of the calendars the same color, but they were in the same vein of each other, so it's all good.
    Uhmm, I did not think the Treo's calendar program was great from the beggining . Palm has made wonderful improvments of the calendar over the years and now "the working product" didn't even take a back seat, it got off the buss .
    Except many of those wonderful improvements were not made by Palm, they were purchased from the developer of DateBK. Those that were made by Palm were made by internal programmers that were gone a long time ago.

I've been using palm and treo for years (I know what I'm saying) and judging from the last palm phone device (755p) the Pre's calendar is a step back (not forward)--plain and simple . Synergy only pulls information from other accounts (which I for one am a Palm calendar Junky and do not use any those other accounts--synergy is a useless sacrifice for some of us). Now, if one is not use to making categories and trully utilizing the calender (i.e. just viewing) then they'll make comments like...nothing is wrong with it...it works fine for ME...etc... But the fact of the matter is IT IS A STEP BACK not forward. And that's a frustrating shame.
    The original Palm was a standalone device with very limited capabilities. It's calendar didn't interact with any other software. It was when software was released (by a third party developer) to make it synchronize with other systems that the Palm Pilots, Palm IIIs, etc began to really take off, and mold the future of the device. Palm built that foundation with the device, and the ability for others to write synchronization software, but others molded what it became.

However, it was very much a desktop centric device. The Pre is a breakaway from that paradigm; and because of that, will very likely see the same type of foundation building, third party changing growth. As a matter of fact, it's already begun. But it takes time.

Your history lesson was irrelevant to the OP. The point is where we were Treo 755P and where we are NOW Pre is not an improvement for the calendar. Not even a stand still, more like a step back. And based on your last sentence you do see the need for it's improvement.

So Yes, hopefully what we have now is not what we will have after the next upgrade.
    I don't agree that it's irreleveant (but you're certainly entitled to your opionon). When someone says I thought Palm would've recognize the blatent mistake and correct it; it's obvious the person posting didn't realize that Palm didn't change much on their original calendar program, they purchased changes from other developers. Posting on a forum like this, poll or not, is really not going to do much to get Palm to rewrite their calendar app; however, understanding how the Centro got to where it was might help someone see that the Pre is going to take a similar path, but it's own version.

And, it's likely going to be centered around synergy. Back in the early Treo days, it was touted as a "convergence device", because it combined two (then) major technologies, the PIM and the cell phone. I think the Pre is the natural evolution of convergence technology; where it combines multiple uses into one device, and blends those uses together.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    The thing is, each calendar must be synced to something, there are no standalone calendars on the Pre.
    If you're saying what it sounds like you are, that's incorrect. The "Palm Profile" account is the "stand alone" account. Anything put in there does not need to sync to a could calendar.

Sounds like I'm beating a dead horse, but I don't understand why it's "sad". That's exactly how the original PIM software evolved. It's not only not sad, it's great that folks are innovating, adding small stuff that makes individual users get what they need out of the device.

Palm can't program the software to meet everyone's individual needs. That's why this type of innovation is great. This app combination may be exactly what you're looking for, but it's certainly not what everyone is looking for. Those innovations will come as well, if the demand is there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    As an example, in my single Google account I have a personal calendar and a work calendar. I also have a few other calendars added, just like ronlongo mentioned, but by making a separate calendar for each type of event, you can code things easily.
    That's great for new users; I guess what gets a lot of us classic users is that an Exchange server was our cloud, and Categories were our 'multiple Google calenders'. Sure I could switch to Google, but that won't help my boss schedule a meeting that doesn't compete with my root canal, or pop up a reminder on my office machine about that date with Jane after work tonight, or migrate a decade's worth of birthdays and anniversaries to the new 'category' out there in the cloud...

(Though there probably is a tool out there for that last one...)
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    That's great for new users; I guess what gets a lot of us classic users is that an Exchange server was our cloud, and Categories were our 'multiple Google calenders'. Sure I could switch to Google, but that won't help my boss schedule a meeting that doesn't compete with my root canal, or pop up a reminder on my office machine about that date with Jane after work tonight, or migrate a decade's worth of birthdays and anniversaries to the new 'category' out there in the cloud...

I think it's the different implementation of "Categories" by different providers that's the biggest roadblock on this, but that's just a guess.

What I'm really hoping for, soon, is either an app or an change in the core calendar program that will do a search for conflicts when you try to add an event. That should be doable even with the limitations of the current SDK, since it would only have to read the database.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If you're saying what it sounds like you are, that's incorrect. The "Palm Profile" account is the "stand alone" account. Anything put in there does not need to sync to a could calendar.
    Yes. But you can't create multiple Palm Profile calendars to emulate categories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post

You can create multiple calendars in Exchange but I don't know if all will sync with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sounds like I'm beating a dead horse, but I don't understand why it's "sad". That's exactly how the original PIM software evolved. It's not only not sad, it's great that folks are innovating, adding small stuff that makes individual users get what they need out of the device.

Palm can't program the software to meet everyone's individual needs. That's why this type of innovation is great. This app combination may be exactly what you're looking for, but it's certainly not what everyone is looking for. Those innovations will come as well, if the demand is there.
    Okay. But now that lessons were learned and calendars evolved, why step back and drop the good features that worked?

They still have Palm OS devices around and the UI guidelines. It's not like they were forced to design from scratch. Those were the most cherished features of Palm OS, and they threw them away. The expanding/contracting free time sections that Palm proudly points to was preserved because it looks cool in demos.

So what happened to the date and time selection widgets? And why is there a lag switching between day views? Bad design and implementation.
    Calendar works for me personally. Granted, I wish it was more Blackberry-esque in its ability to set up custom repeats and multiple alerts, but thats about it. Oh and the week view could use some work too in terms of me being actually able to see what I have planned for that day of the week. Other than that, it keeps me scheduled and on time!
    Okay. But now that lessons were learned and calendars evolved, why step back and drop the good features that worked?

They still have Palm OS devices around and the UI guidelines. It's not like they were forced to design from scratch. Those were the most cherished features of Palm OS, and they threw them away. The expanding/contracting free time sections that Palm proudly points to was preserved because it looks cool in demos.

So what happened to the date and time selection widgets? And why is there a lag switching between day views? Bad design and implementation.
    I suspect (though I can't say for sure) that Palm bought DateBK only fro the PalmOS, and they don't have the rights (and probably not even the resources) to recreate it for the Pre.

I disagree about designing from scratch. The UI for the PalmOS doesn't work for the Pre. The stylus and the resistive touch screen allowed very minute control, the finger and the capacitive touch screen do not.

I suspect (and again, I don't know, just guessing) that the lag is due to having to read new information from the cloud as you switch forward to another day.

I'm not sure what you mean by the date and time widgets.
    Palm published UI guidelines featuring the Palm OS calendar as prime example. They explain every detail, the rationale and how it's consistent with the rest of the OS. But you're speculating that they can't follow their own guidelines?

The date and time widget is the set of scroll wheels. You have to tap on each to activate it, then flick up and down as it uses "physics enabled" movement. There are a few glaring problems with it:

1. Each scroll wheel requires a tap to activate
    2. The kinetic movement of the values makes it tricky to select. There aren't enough values in them to justify kinetic scrolling. And it shouldn't be a list in the first place.
    3. Even AM/PM is a list. It should be a toggle.
    4. Day values are only numbers, no indication of what day it is

About the day view transition lag: there is no problem sending a request to Google for updates between days, in the background. It can be done async. Because Palm now uses the day screen itself as a navigation element, it must respond to user swipe gesture at all times, regardless of what it's requesting in the background. This is an implementation error.
    Palm published UI guidelines featuring the Palm OS calendar as prime example. They explain every detail, the rationale and how it's consistent with the rest of the OS. But you're speculating that they can't follow their own guidelines?
    Nope. I'm saying that either I misunderstood what you were trying to say, or you misunderstood what Palm was trying to say.

In the context of the discussion, you said They still have Palm OS devices around and the UI guidelines. It's not like they were forced to design from scratch. Those were the most cherished features of Palm OS, and they threw them away.. My response was that they were forced to design from scratch, and those "features" (again, in context) that were a combination of Palm's original calendar program, and Datebk's add-ons, likely were not easily done on the Pre, if they were even legally allowed.

As for consistency in design (which is what I believe Palm was talking about when discussing the old Palm OS), I believe they've remained consistent.

The date and time widget is the set of scroll wheels. You have to tap on each to activate it, then flick up and down as it uses "physics enabled" movement. There are a few glaring problems with it:

1. Each scroll wheel requires a tap to activate
    2. The kinetic movement of the values makes it tricky to select. There aren't enough values in them to justify kinetic scrolling. And it shouldn't be a list in the first place.
    3. Even AM/PM is a list. It should be a toggle.
    4. Day values are only numbers, no indication of what day it is
    1. What would you suggest they use to activate it?
    2. I don't have that problem, but have to admit it don't use it much. I let it scroll to the general area, stop it, then adjust.
    3. OK
    4. Probably should be fixed, but hardly a glaring problem

Probably, and again, just a guess, the real issue is you're just not comfortable with the tap to select interface. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the way of the future for a device like this; however, there is an alternative. The earlier mentioned add-on app allows quick, text based entries.

About the day view transition lag: there is no problem sending a request to Google for updates between days, in the background. It can be done async. Because Palm now uses the day screen itself as a navigation element, it must respond to user swipe gesture at all times, regardless of what it's requesting in the background. This is an implementation error.
    I'd say it's more of an implementation decision. But, you say tomato, I say tomahto...

All in all, when you boil it down this way, I don't see the major issues here. Personally, from a "synergy" standpoint, I'm much more concerned about the system allowing me to accidentally do conflicting appointments. I think it should check for conflicts; but I also believe we'll see that, one way or another.
    The palm pre's calendar sucks and is essentially useless. I don't know if I'm the only one out there but I miss the Treo's Calendar Functionality. I thought Palm would've recognize the blatent mistake and correct it in this 1.2.1 release, but they didn't.

What ever happen to the everso fabulous Palm Treo Calendar features? How or why would Palm take such a big step back to what we have now for a calendar on the Pre. I mean, this calendar is almost completely useless, especially in month view.

It seems as if Pre developers spent all their time on "synergy" and made the darn calendar useless. Synergy is useless when you take out the basic, but ESSENTIAL, ability to color code and categorize your events in the calendar. I am so disappointed that i'm even contemplating going back to the treo where I could in all PRATICALITY creat categories, sort by categories, color code for quick monthly glancing. I mean this is so basic, so simple, SO IMPORTANT, and yet neglected. Come one Palm what were you thinking?

Can someon PLEASE write a tweak for this so I can have a useful and praticle tool of a calendar again.

to Palm: Let's not try to get so I-Phoney that we forget what made Palm's smart phone the choice of smart people--organization & practicallity, usefulness, A professional TOOL (not a cool toy gadget thingy).

-Frustrated in GA
    Maybe someone's said it already but I'm not gonna read the thread...

You can have different categories simply by setting up different calendars via Google.

You can choose different colors for those calendars via your Pre.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast